Do you think I could get in trouble for this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Greg, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I hate my apartment complex, and I dislike the management's lack of ability to fix major problems. My biggest gripe: we have had constant sewage problems in my building, so naturally there is a mold and smell problem. This has been going on for well over 5 months now. Most of the people in this building have been very aggressive with management and constantly complain about the issue...the manager and I are definitely not on good terms as I've complained about a few other things as well.

Three tenants have broken their leases and moved out, and almost everyone else I've talked to is moving out when their leases expire. Many are moving out over the summer, and they're excited.

Anyway...here's the question.
    I was leaving the apartment's leasing office today, and ran into a couple that were considering renting here. I asked them if they were considering staying here, and they replied that they didn't really know about it. Honestly, they didn't sound too thrilled about this place...

So I offered them the final nail in the coffin. I told them don't bother considering a lease here, and I told them in three sentences or less about our sewage problems. I also gave them the name of a nicer complex elsewhere in the city they might like, as that place has similar prices but larger (and nicer) apartments.

Could someone get in trouble for doing that? Like say...me?

2. Tim

Tim Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope you told them the truth.
    Tim

3. FREN

FREN Hi, I'm a PC. NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    What's the landlord going to do ... kick you out, and lose more customers? What if you get so pissed off that you start posting signs around the town, saying "STAY AWAY FROM THIS APARTMENT, IT HAS TURDS FLOATING AROUND ON THE FIRST FLOOR LOBBY ..."

The landlord can't risk that happening. If he finds out, it's not like he can dislike you less, right? What's he going to do even if he's unhappy with you. Kick you out and he loses money, and considering your description of your apartment, he'd have a hard time persuading other people to move in to your apartment to cover his losses ...

4. flanken

flanken Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You're completely safe. Truth is always a defense to defamation.

5. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeap, you're safe.

6. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Your fine, good job. :)

7. Reezin14

Reezin14 Crimson Mantle Commander

Reputations:
    No you did the right thing, I would appreciate someone telling me about the pit falls of a place if I was moving in. Futher more if enough people move out and no one is moving in it just might prompt the super to fix up the place which he should be doing in the first place.;)

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, what could they do to you? They may even try to bribe you somehow if you turn too many people away, i doubt it, but maybe.

9. CeeNote

CeeNote Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would have done the same thing.

10. WackyT

WackyT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally, I think I would post signs just outside the apartment's property, and also file a complaint with the town as to the unsanitary living conditions. Slumlords are crooks, and should answer for their crimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.