Do you have a filter mask/respirator to protect you from the Corona virus?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tinderbox (UK), Feb 24, 2020.

1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    I tried to buy some N95 mask from eBay a few weeks ago it was like £15 for a box of 20, But my order was cancelled as they were out of stock.

Buying Masks rated at N95, N99 or N100 or P3 rated or above are a good start according to what i have read.

These paper type masks seem to be very expensive(if you can find any) for something that is disposable.

You can buy re-usable (replaceable filters) rubber masks that are using in industry/diy for the cost of a 10 pack of paper ones.

So i bought myself a P3 rated Re-Usable mask it cost like £25 and comes with 2 filters, My only problem is the goggles as i am a glasses wearer, So for the mean time i just have a pair of safety goggles and i have taped over the vents.

So i am NOT a doctor and or any other type of medical professional and this is just what i am doing to protect myself.

EDIT: N100 Masks or P3 filters are now the minimum recommended, Though N95 or N99 are better than nothing.

EDIT: 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    My wife's an RN so we have a lot of them, although I only wear one when I'm moving the lawn or doing some power sanding.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Everyone should have a box on hand for lots of reasons. I use them for allergies, when vacuuming is going on, when the leaf blower is in use, during fire season, or when I have a respiratory infection - like the last 3 weeks!, it's good to have a few with you at all times - others might need one and I've given them out as the occasion arises.

You can get some from the doctor, pharmacy, dentist, hospital, ask for them at their service window. I usually put that one on and then ask for a couple more for later. Do that a few times and you have enough for a week or two.

Even before this crisis it's posted on the walls of most of those establishments that if you have a cough please ask for a mask.

You usually won't get the N95 mask unless you ask for it, or get it prescribed - like when fire season is happening here I can ask for the particulate filtering kind - otherwise they only give out the regular mask.

Don't forget to get swim goggles or other closed eye area coverage protection as this virus comes in through the eyes too.

The best thing to do is to have a good week or two of food on hand, water, etc so you could close the door and watch the news for a couple of weeks until they arrange delivery or distribution of essentials in quarantine. A month's supply is even better.

Lots of good youtube coverage on what people in Wuhan did and are doing to survive this, worth watching for ideas for our own situations should they arrise.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Tinderbox (UK) likes this.
  4. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
    Yeah, Goggles are very important, Most people do not realise that if somebody coughs of sneezes at you and even though you are wearing a mask and droplets land on your eye, You can be infected.

If you have ever had eye-drops you will know even though you only put the drops only in your eye`s you can taste it in your mouth, It`s all linked.

6730b and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    It is looking like Europe is in the beginning of fighting against the spread, with Italy areas beginning to be locked down. With modern technology being used to get the word out and inform people traveling along the perimeter of the lock down's.

6. CastlBravo

CastlBravo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll just give the same advice I do when buying anything (tools, etc.): Make sure it doesn't say "Made in China".

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah it's funny up until the things we need to survive begin running out because all of them are made in China, and those supplies are turning around to go back to China, and never make it to their destination. Then the production and inspection halts stop even those few shipments that are making it through to the US.

Expert warns of mass medicine shortages if COVID-19 continues to ravage China
    "We should never have been in this situation."
    https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/h...hina/275-aeae4c3b-0ba9-45fc-ba4a-659039226b5e

"..."Beginning in March, if the Corona Virus continues to outbreak in China and workers are not going to work and transportation routes are still closed, shortages of vital medicines in the United States are likely to happen."

Gibson said China is already taking action to protect their own people first.

"We are already seeing that China is stopping companies that make masks, protective gear for Doctors, nurses, patients, the public, China is preventing companies from exporting them to other countries like the United States. They are basically nationalizing them. So if they are doing that for masks? Would it be surprising if they're nationalizing generic drugs used to treat patients with Coronavirus who are hospitalized to help them recover?"

Gibson said it was global trade, and less-expensive costs that have put patients at risk of shortages do to this epidemic. Gibson writes in her book the last penicillin plant in the United States closed in 2004.

"We're dependent on China for thousands of medicines because they make the core ingredients in those thousands of medicines, so that's number 1, and for the medicines that are used to treat people in the hospital-- China makes about 90% of the production for the medicines for people who might end up in the hospital for Coronavirus."

"Let's pray we don't have an outbreak in the United States."

We asked Gibson if the United States has the capacity to quickly produce all of the medicines a Hospital would need in the event of a severe outbreak of COVID-19 in a major U.S. city:

"No. All roads lead to China in the core ingredients, the chemicals, the molecules-- the real starting material to make our medicines. China's dominance is global. The Europeans are in the same situation, the Australians, Canadians, again I'm speaking mostly generic medicines which are 90% of the medicines we take."

How coronavirus in China could cause drug shortages in America
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-could-cause-drug-shortages-in-u-s-fda-warns/

FDA: China's coronavirus might disrupt 'critical medical products' including drugs and devices
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-china-might-disrupt-drug-supply/4788157002/

There have been calls for many years to reverse the trend and re-patriate drug manufacturing here in the US, for many reasons:

80% of Data in Chinese Clinical Trials Have Been Fabricated
    FIONA MACDONALD, 1 OCT 2016
    https://www.sciencealert.com/80-of-the-data-in-chinese-clinical-trial-is-fabricated

"A Chinese government investigation has revealed that more than 80 percent of the data used in clinical trials of new pharmaceutical drugs have been "fabricated"
    The applications in question were all for Western medicine, not traditional Chinese medicine."

Be prepared...

Why U.S. officials are escalating their concerns over novel coronavirus
    PBS NewsHour
    U.S. health officials are expressing a new level of urgency over the possibility that novel coronavirus could spread extensively within the country. The virus appears to have peaked in China, but other global hotspots are emerging.

From a few hours ago...

Coronavirus Update: COVID-19 Poses 'Low Risk' to Americans, HHS Says, Despite CDC Warning

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Kyle and Tinderbox (UK) like this.
  8. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
    ZORRO looks like a WINNER

[​IMG]

killkenny1, Kyle and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    If COVID 19 becomes a thing here I'm going clean shaven - with an air tight seal for the mask against clean skin. Facial hair can grow back later. :)

Hirosake and Tinderbox (UK) like this.
  10. Hirosake

Hirosake Guest

Reputations:
    I thought the "toothbrush" was out :mad:
    Stupid nazis mess it up for everyone

Edit: Just seeing on news, They saying some people who had virus and recovered, got virus a second time. If that is right it means no antibodies....no vaccine !?!?!...man this is gonna get real bad

Tinderbox (UK) and hmscott like this.