Do you ever see Tablets taking over laptops?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Helpmyfriend, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "Toys are hereby declared illegal, immoral, unlawful AND anyone found with a toy in his possession will be placed under arrest and thrown in the dungeon. No kidding!"

[​IMG]

2. colin.p

colin.p Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I absolutely agree, yes absolutely. However, I bet that costs alot more than a netbook, that can pretty well do all that as well. If you have gobs of money to throw around, without worrying about feeding the kids, paying the hydro bill and keeping the wife in the "luxury" she has grown accustomed to:rolleyes: well I would run out and buy that premium piece of equipment "joy", but until that day arrives, or an unknown rich uncle kicks off and donates to it, I will use my "junky" old netbook for portability.
    But then again, I'm just "funnin'" with ya'll.

3. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My client actually wanted to give me a gift last week and ask me if I want an iPad or iPhone 4. I end up said iPhone 4 as I simply cannot find one use of the iPad(and unfortunately I cannot sell it or else I would take it and sell on ebay).

After a week or so using the iPhone 4, I still find these touch screen devices usage very limited but at least I can use this one when I am on a bus or in starbuck and it can be carried in the pocket(abide a bit heavy).

4. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Like I said for my mom she could completely convert to an ipad and not miss a beat. For some it can be a tool, but for most its still a toy.

Exactly how I feel. Make the kernel more robust, without making it a full blown desktop kernel and now were talking. Its possible, just not probable in the real world.

5. Abidderman

Abidderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use my computers for work. In fact, computers are the backbone of my ability to provide for my family. The topic of this is tablets.vs laptops. No one is mistaking netbooks for laptops (except maybe you: :rolleyes: ). Yes, it costs more than a netbook, but it is a real computer, not an email/internet browser thing. I have to be able to get the performance I need, and since my company pays for it, and pays me to perform, they are very happy to give me what I need to provide max performance within a certain budget. I need to be able to edit photos, be out in the field to do inventory, create and edit spreadsheets for my clients, have the ability to jot my notes (and if I can do that and have them converted to text, so much the better). I get that some of you are tied to the past, but if some of you would allow yourself to try out some modern tech and realize that things are changing, you would be amazed. The original title as I see it is Tabs v. Lappys. Tabs/Slate are very all encompassing. Could include iPads, Xoom, and any other tabby/slate. I find it funny you would yap about a $1000 i-5 that can run PS and any office program and include an ssd, but not blink about a netbook with it's ? atom, 1-2 gb ram, inability to run Adobe Suite, and somehow the $600-700 price difference would be a road to poverty. If you can't afford it, fine, but don't think just because others have it, that we are all rich. Netbooks are not tablets, iPads are. So are xoom.. and many others, yet I also see many using low end notebooks, or cheap netbooks, and I am unwilling to spend good money (company or not) on crap that is cheap. I need to get performance, I need to provide performance, and my company is willing to buy me what I need to get it, because they pay me to perform. If I can save a dozen hours a month because of my computer, it saves my company also. I had a thread months ago showing how much time I saved on my work by using a SSD. It paid for itself about 3 times over in the first year. Now I have the ability to use this out in the field without restriction, unlike any other laptop I have tested so far. Note I said tested so far. I am not saying there are not others, I just have not tried them. But a cheap netbook will not work for me. Again, I do not get how a netbook even got into this discussion anyway. Read the title. Unless the definition of laptop has fallen so far as to include netbook. Sorry for the TL:DR. (That would be "too long: didn't read for those of you that don't follow along well). For reference, I have a Dell e6400, HP TX2510 and Asus G73J, plus this. I get performance, portability can run proprietary programs requiring full windows 7. Each has it's own uses, but this 121 is very close to the G73 in the areas I need, and blows away the others in every single way it could. I do not think that tabs/slates will overtake regular laptops in the next few years, but perhaps they could later, if graphics improve, with battery life and such. But I also believe netbooks are a dying breed. Maybe slowly, but people are becoming tired of underperforming $300 nets. If your definition of a tabby is an iPad, android type of unit, yes they will take over from the low end weak netbooks. But if your looking at powerful slates, it may take a while, and I do not think they will ever take over from the laptops, but they will gain market share. Just as the economy has changed the way we see cars, it will change the way we see computers. The single saddest thing I see is so many computer knowledgeable people talking about how bad tabs/slates are and how bad anything running touch is, especially on win7, that have never tried some of these tabs/slates. Don't tell me tablets/slates are just ipads or ipad types. Try one of the real computer slates out. Then come back and give your feedback. You will really change the way you think.

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is in fact too long and I will not read that.

Tablets aren't competing with netbooks. Or at least they shouldn't be.

Tablets are completely limited by being touchscreen only but the touchscreen also allows for different applications. Netbooksk and tablets are just completely different.

7. zAzq

zAzq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Aye. Paragraph, mate. Paragraph. The backbone of any good reading.

8. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    There are many keyboard options for tablets that have unnoticed or no latency and can pack up and travel. Look at the zagg keyboard for the ipad, my mom has one and uses it for a case. It adds like 3mm when packed and takes literally 2 seconds to unpack and use. Also adds a nice aluminium shell for the ipad when travelling. Its better then any netbook experience I have had, and the input feels like Im on a usb keyboard on a desktop.

9. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If the touch/keyboard ratio is 90/10, this additional keyboard thing may work. Anything more, it would become cumbersome. You need to pack a keyboard(either with its own case or some special case for the combine), a stand to support the iPad so it is at the right angle, find a flat surface in order to use it and still cannot be used on public transport(think bus or those 6 seat train cabin or cramped airline seat).

It still all comes down to, are you a point and click person or a keyboard person.

My client has this iPad and tried to justify its usefulness using its hand drawing for sketching(diagrams like system architecture etc.) for hours and end up fireup powerpoint and have it done it 30 minutes.

He still carries both the iPad and notebook but the only time I have seen him use it is when we are in dinner and use it for showing photos to other people.

10. zAzq

zAzq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A keyboard seems to me like an unlikely solution to the tablet typing problem. The hybrid paradigm just doesn't make sense to me. It'd probably have to be a better touch solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.