Do you ever see Tablets taking over laptops?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Helpmyfriend, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helpmyfriend

Helpmyfriend Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Whenever im out I see a lot more people with tablets (ipad mostly, some HPs, Asus, and im sure ill see some of the new upcoming Blackberry Playbook), and less notebooks. Aside from portability why is that? Do you see the tablet becoming the top dog when it comes to what people want to lug with them on thier daily commute? Cause the fact is, you would be surprised how many people buy laptops to only move it around the house but never out.

Many years ago everyone was rocking 15", 17" 8lb laptop beasts haha, now I barely see anyone with 17" laptops and if I do, they look hideous cause theyre so huge and heavy! 5 years ago, I used to own a 17" 11LB Asus gaming laptop, so im speaking from experience when i say i would never ever consider going back to 17" laptop.

I see a lot of netbooks, a lot of laptops my size (13"). Even the 15.4" is kinda dying down here. And I see a ton of tablets! I even know a few people who have laptops but bought a tablet after because thats what they prefer to take with them to meetings or business conferences, etc and they primarily keep their laptops at home.

2. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If I were to get the X220 from Lenovo, I'd get the tablet version. But I typically prefer 14-15" laptops. Until they get tablet versions, I'll stick with a notebook. Personally, I refer to the "tablets" you listed as slates, as they have no physical keyboards.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't see it happening. They don't even target the same people.

4. richierichdollar

richierichdollar Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I dont see it because u need a computer to buy,store and backup on with those items. Also laptops are becoming more and more desktop replacements

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think the 'tablets' you are mostly referring to are just the cheap entertainment tablets out there (iPad, Android, webOS, ect...), and yes they will take over even more of the market than they have... but only because those people are idiots to buy into the fad of owning one of those devices; and don't actually do anything besides media consumption... so don't worry, laptops and dsktops won't be going away anytime soon (I would bet that we will see Laptops and Desktops still as common place 70 years from now, as much as they are today; but then again in 70 years we will have moved onto using holographic displays -that's where I will be putting my money)

All fields of technology are constantly moving forward at blazing speeds, and these fads that pop up will all die out in time -leaving only the tried and true products. Things also move forward faster than we can imagine; case in point, I watched Total Recall recently and it was funny to see CRT monitors in every device in the 'future' (granted there were a handful of LCD like displays, but not much). It will be the same in several years once everyone is using their holographic devices, and they go to see one of the movies out today depicting the future full of LCD's); so who knows what the future will be.

However a Tablet PC (such as the aforementioned X220T) my previous Tm2, my current 2730p, and many many others will always have a place in my tech collection, they are just amazing devices that have Wacom Pen enabled screens (basically a portable Wacom Cintiq) and could never be replaced by a cheap entertainment tablet (no digitizer pen = useless); oh, and a Tablet PC is fully capable of using a DIY ViDock so it is basically the most versatile device out anywhere

6. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    What a lot of people fail to realize is that the touch interface is infinitely more intuitive than the typical keyboard and mouse interface.

So I think for mainstream devices, the touch interface will definitely become the standard for a while, at least until we get devices that can read our minds telepathically and act upon that. It may not necessarily be in the "tablet" form, but I think that the slate and tablet market is growing at an exponential rate, and it's hard to stop it's success.

Your average John Consumer is always going to go for what is the most intuitive, and easy to use. For now, it happens to be tablets.

7. ramgen

ramgen -- Morgan Stanley --

Reputations:
    Tablet baloon is being pumped up by the manufacturers to shell out money from ***. It is being claimed that it will be the new trend and will wipe-out everything else in the future. Oh, yeah...

As a computer engineer I will never, ever purchase a tablet for myself. I may get an iPad for my pre-kindergarten kid as a toy. That's it.

--

8. Gracy123

Gracy123 Agrees to disagree

Reputations:
    Tablets? Never!! They are just toys for people without any idea or with enough money to spend on useless toys.

9. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't have a tablet, but as far as I can tell from reviews and from how my roommate uses his iPad, it is a good device for consumption, but a bad one for production. Touch is nice, but to do any serious work (or even just send some emails) you need to be able to type stuff and you can't beat a keyboard for that. Thus, tablets are used in addition to laptops rather than in place of them. AnandTech has a short article about it.

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As they are now, the tablets are way too weak to really replace notebooks.

If they made them in a capacity that rivaled laptops, then there's a reasonable possibility they might... but in their current state, not so much.

Do I see notebooks replacing desktops?
    Possibly.
    But again, only if they make them equally powerful (if not more-so) and more affordable at the same time.
    Right now, desktops are still ahead of laptops in terms of raw power/afford-ability.

Never-mind the premise that we can create laptops as powerful as desktops right now with much more effective cooling methods.
    But, stagnation is an integral part of this process, so the manufacturers can still much off loads of cash from consumers in the desktop market.

As I said... I'd consider a tablet, only if it was on an equal footing as notebooks in terms of computational/graphics power.
    And the manufacturers did not make them as such.

Expanding the business in different branches and keeping all of them as good cash-cows is what this economy is based on.

Only those whose needs are minimalist or aren't doing anything remotely powerful at the moment on their computers will likely get a lower-powered tablet for example.
    Why?
    Because they don't need more than that.
    But to be honest, tablets aren't being pushed to their actual potential as it is.

Besides, why bother with tablets if your smartphone can do what it can just as well and they use the same low grade hardware to do it?

11. Gracy123

Gracy123 Agrees to disagree

Reputations:
    Here are my reasons:

1. Why watch a movie on a tablet when I can watch it on my laptop without needing to hold it under the right angle?
    2. Why write anything (emails/documents) on a touchscreen when I can do it much faster and conveniently on a normal keyboard?
    3. Why browse the internet with one hand while holding the device with the other instead of using a laptop?
    4. Why carry a tablet with me at all when I have my laptop? What can I do better on a tablet - the answer - nothing!

But everyone has his own reasons :) nothing bad about it! :)

To me a tablet is just like buying a Nintendo - it is nice and everything, I would certainly play with one for a while or every now and then, but it is just a TOY and not to be compared with a laptop!! If you have the money for that toy and have no other ideas how to spend them - buy one :) I just usually have plenty of other ideas how to spend >300 Euros more reasonably and even if it is going to be a toy - it ain't gonna be this one :D

12. colin.p

colin.p Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A netbook isn't much bigger than an Ipad. A netbook is a complete computer that can run several different OS's, just pick which one you like best, heck even multi-boot if need be. Try doing that with an Ipad. You can get an almost infinite number of applications running on whatever OS you are using, many for free. With an Ipad, you are tethered to Jobs' whims, with a netbook, #@%$ Apple.
    A netbook will last virtually forever, an Ipad until the next update (slight exaggeration, but not far from the truth).
    The point is, an Ipad, or whatever slate thing, will always be "handicapped" compared to a real computer.
    As far as using a smart phone, I can see using it for texting and email, but try spending a couple hours looking at that friggin small screen. My head aches thinking about the bloody eye-strain.
    No, just playing with my wife's Itouch for a few minutes, and I get very bored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.