Do the new Clevo Laptops still disable Turbo boost when the dGPU is active?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by hackness, Nov 19, 2018.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

The last time I purchased a Clevo laptop was back in 2012, which was the P150EM.

At that time we had to force the CPU to run at Turbo boost clock with the help of ThrottleStop when the dGPU is active.

Is that still the norm for the current Clevo Laptops?

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't remember the EM doing that on mine, but not on the equivalent models just now (P650/P9xx)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    same here, got a couple of P170EM and P150HMs around, none are not boosting without TS.

also @hackness sweet mother of god, how did you push the RAM that far?

4. hackness

Reputations:
    That's good.

It was a very old issue.

Hi there @Meaker@Sager, there was a thread in the past where you and me also joined the discussion about this topic:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-p150em-not-turbo.713088/

It appears some members were not facing this issue, but some were, but the behavior of no ThrottleStop vs have ThrottleStop that I was seeing on my P150EM was that one touches the Turbo boost clock then bounce back down and bounce back up again quickly which results in performance loose, and other case just stays at Turbo boost clock full time with zero drop whenever a game is loaded. I was seeing this issue with TDP limit raised to 65W using XTU, but was eliminated by setting the current clock speed to the highest turbo clock speed in ThrottleStop.

It was with a lot of Trials and Errors, with many CMOS clearings by long pressing the power button :D Many thanks to @Johnksss for getting me past the 2933 barrier, and also thanks to @Falkentyne for teaching me the rules of RAM OC'ing :D

Papusan and Johnksss like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That was back 5 years ago and by the looks of it was not a design characteristic:p some of the mainstream 13 inch machines did do that on purpose.

hackness likes this.
  6. hackness

Reputations:
    I had this concern was because I saw this picture in the notebookcheck's review on the N850EP6:

[​IMG]

The temperature is only 70C on the CPU side, power is only 26.56W and yet the clock speed is running at base clock which is 2.2GHz for the 8750H...

What??? Is Clevo doing that again?

Link here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-A517-Clevo-N850EP6-Laptop-Review.309744.0.html

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Prime/AVX and furmark together is going to produce some funky results.

8. hackness

Reputations:
    It is a little weird because other manufacturers' products have the throtle kicks in when they reach the TDP limit or BD prochot, but neither of these seem to be the case though. Especially seeing it at 70C and 26.5W. I mean If the TDP cap is set to 35W or 25W, it should be at 34 point sonething or 24 point something, shouldn't it be like that? Yet it choosed to stay at 26.5W?

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Honestly I wouldn't bother with Clevo atm. Their thin and light are pretty bad compared to others such as Asus and Gigabyte.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Gigabytes machines have been overheating listening over at reddit.

Falkentyne likes this.