Do the m18x r2 and m17x r4 have the same upgrade options?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by nobodyserio, Apr 12, 2019.

1. nobodyserio

nobodyserio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With the power difference that big(1060 ->1070) it really makes sense to go for that one. Thank you for pointing that one out. I had the feeling the throttle of the 1070 in a m18x r2 wouldn't
    be worth the trouble.
    And also reminding me of the 2960xm ,thanks.

I have no problem flashing the BIos, but If 3D isn't possible, then I would go past my initial goal.

Also I would like to avoid overheating (GPU) if possible and even though the 780m is more powerful than the 680m , including the cost and hassle of replacing the motherboard, to a r4 one, I just go or that one.

So 1060 is replaced for 1070
    880m for the 680m ( even though I would still like to wait and look for others experience regarding r3 3D use, since you weren't sure about it)
    and maybe 2960 xm for the m17x r3

Thansk a lot for your time. my only concern is how far I can go GPU wise, while keeping the 3D aspect or I just try to find a cheap r4 motherboard. (But would would it be really worth investing in it to jump to the 880m?)

2. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    120HZ is still possible, its just that the 3D aspect of it is lost with GPU upgrades, it was a marketing failure to get people to buy into 3d glasses.

3. nobodyserio

Reputations:
    thanks. I know 3D seems not as successfull as vr, but 3D really clicked for me and I would like to keep it as a feature when upgrading.

Now that i think about it, wouldnt the m18x r2 upgrade I have in mind make it vr readyß Or is the throttled gtx 1070 not enough?

4. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Afaik a 750 ti can run VR if you push it hard enough, so a throttled 1070 should be more than enough, given you're running it on a external display

5. nobodyserio

Reputations:
    thank you very much. Now I only need to find the proper components for a favourably price.

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    M18x R2 has no power limits, M17x has hard 55W power limit I believe, so you will not be able to hit the same CPU speeds as m18x

7. nobodyserio

Reputations:
    Good to know thank you