Do the m18x r2 and m17x r4 have the same upgrade options?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by nobodyserio, Apr 12, 2019.

1. nobodyserio

nobodyserio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    With the power difference that big(1060 ->1070) it really makes sense to go for that one. Thank you for pointing that one out. I had the feeling the throttle of the 1070 in a m18x r2 wouldn't
    be worth the trouble.
    And also reminding me of the 2960xm ,thanks.

I have no problem flashing the BIos, but If 3D isn't possible, then I would go past my initial goal.

Also I would like to avoid overheating (GPU) if possible and even though the 780m is more powerful than the 680m , including the cost and hassle of replacing the motherboard, to a r4 one, I just go or that one.

So 1060 is replaced for 1070
    880m for the 680m ( even though I would still like to wait and look for others experience regarding r3 3D use, since you weren't sure about it)
    and maybe 2960 xm for the m17x r3

Thansk a lot for your time. my only concern is how far I can go GPU wise, while keeping the 3D aspect or I just try to find a cheap r4 motherboard. (But would would it be really worth investing in it to jump to the 880m?)

2. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    120HZ is still possible, its just that the 3D aspect of it is lost with GPU upgrades, it was a marketing failure to get people to buy into 3d glasses.

3. nobodyserio

Reputations:
    thanks. I know 3D seems not as successfull as vr, but 3D really clicked for me and I would like to keep it as a feature when upgrading.

Now that i think about it, wouldnt the m18x r2 upgrade I have in mind make it vr readyß Or is the throttled gtx 1070 not enough?

4. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Afaik a 750 ti can run VR if you push it hard enough, so a throttled 1070 should be more than enough, given you're running it on a external display

5. nobodyserio

Reputations:
    thank you very much. Now I only need to find the proper components for a favourably price.

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    M18x R2 has no power limits, M17x has hard 55W power limit I believe, so you will not be able to hit the same CPU speeds as m18x

7. nobodyserio

Reputations:
    Good to know thank you

8. Duck W

Duck W Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey M18x-oldie,
    Could you please tell me step by step to upgrade from 680m to 980m?I have same machine with 120hz 3D display and Window 10. From my own search, I'm gonna need windows set up in UEFI with fast and secure boot disabled.
    Thanks
    Duck

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Install the latest unlocked BIOS. Install windows in UEFI mode with fast boot enabled and secure boot disabled.

Go to BIOS, make sure the GPU configuration is set to PEG (for 120Hz display) or SG (for 60hz display).

Turn off computer, swap to 980M.

M18x-oldie and Duck W like this.
  10. Duck W

Duck W Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks so much ssj92. I just ordered 1 980m from woodzstark.

Is the upgrade path same for Alienware 17 r1 ranger?