Do it yourself: Bluetooth module for Aspire 3680

Discussion in 'Acer' started by letmealone, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letmealone

letmealone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Studying photos of Bluetooth modules for sale online, i was able to find out the pinout of the Bluetooth connector of our loved 3680, and make work on it a usb Bluetooth dongle as Bluetooth internal module. Do as this:
    open the memory bay under the laptop, you'll see a 6 pin white connector, marked as CN19. It is our 3680 Bluetooth connector. The pins signals are this, counting 1 the pin in direction of the screws, 6 the one in direction of ram modules:

1 > +3.3 V
    2 > GND
    3 > DATA +
    4 > DATA -
    5 > BLUE LIGHT
    6 > NOT USED

Now buy for cheap a bluetooth usb dongle, and if possible make sure that it works also at 3.3 V (they work usually at the 5 V of an usb port, but many of them work well also at 3.3 V). If necessary remove its external shell, and connect to it with wiring cables the pins of CN19 as showed here:

[​IMG]

Wrap all the usb dongle with insulant tape to prevent any short fuse on the laptop board, stick it with some adesive tape in the empty space of the board at left of memory modules, and close the bay.
    At first reboot, you should see the blue light working, then going off when Windows is loaded. Just turn it on with the Bluetooth button, the blue light will be on and the system will prompt you for installing the drivers.
    If you have to buy the dongle, i suggest you one with Widcomm-Broadcom chip, because it seems to me the better supported on Vista, and Acer has the drivers in the 3680 support area.
    Have fun !

2. arnesr

arnesr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. letmealone

letmealone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, that explains how to place an aftermarket module ready to be fitted. My guide (as my posts in that blog as Andrea) explains to modify and connect a much cheaper usb dongle.

4. tri_zet

tri_zet Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for this very usefull posting. finally i can install my bluetooth internally into acer 3684. i am using bluesoleil bt dongle and win xp pro, and it is work.:) :)

5. formulaben

formulaben Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, letmealone!

6. formulaben

formulaben Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If anyone does this with an Extensa 4620Z, please post pictures!

7. FireFax

FireFax Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanx a lot for info letmealone and arnesr!

8. Smurfjet

Smurfjet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How did you connect the wiring cables to the pins? Soldering?

9. letmealone

letmealone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I used a part of connector of a broken lcd screen to a laptop. I think it can be done also opening a connector of comparable pin size, connecting the pins one by one with the small "tubes" you find in the connector.

10. Smurfjet

Smurfjet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, but it is still not very clear.

Too many connector words, not very specific, gets confusing ;)

I'm planning to buy a 6 pin connector that fits my CN19 (AS5580 BTW), I have a USB dongle that came with BlueSoleil which I'm still trying to see if it would work with the Acer drivers provided instead. Where did you get your broadcom dongle from?

My only challenge is finding a way to connect the pins on the dongle to the pins or wires connected to the CN19 connector. Soldering is out of the question since it would be too messy for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.