1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Do I really need 16GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by nealloy1981, Mar 1, 2012.

1. nealloy1981

nealloy1981 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    My G53SX has come with 8GB RAM. I had another spare of 8GB (4GBX2), but there CAS Latency is less than the default one. WEI, 3DMark06 point decreased if these RAMs are inserted. . So I looked for one in ebay with same latency. My question is.. will the computer performance or gaming performanced be increased if I insert another 8GB with same specification of RAM? I don't nind to pay another £35 if the performance increased.

2. evgasr2

evgasr2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    do you know if you have 4 ram slots you can upgrade your ram up to 32GB it can be 1866 or 1333 or 16XX .
    If more ram with more mhz then performance will increase for sure but 8gb is more than enough for gaming.

3. Yuxi

Yuxi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have to ask, the answer is usually no.

Unless you actually use more than 8GB (running computations, VMs, etc), adding more RAM won't speed anything up. :) It's an issue of capacity, not speed.

4. Josh@XoticPC

Josh@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    You will never need more than 8GB of RAM if you are gaming.

5. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    How about 4GB?

6. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    4GB is kinda cutting it close these days, if you have nothing but the game opened sure, but most people i know have their web browser, voip client and media player running when they game and you can easily hit over 4GB with those.

7. nealloy1981

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the replies and am not gonna bother to buy anymore RAM, may be will try to upgrade the CPU or GPU.

8. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

Reputations:
    You're not gonna be able to upgrade the graphics, so a CPU upgrade is the only thing that this point that will possibly improve your gaming performance.

But if you are gonna use the laptop as a mobile workstation for doing production-level 3D graphics and such, get as much RAM as you want.

9. nealloy1981

Reputations:
    One thing need to know...will this machine support higher bus speed which is 1600MHz DDR3?

10. evgasr2

evgasr2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes it will.

11. ~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have 16gb of RAM its worth having the extra leg room :). More leg room = more projects to get into.

12. Jody

Jody Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I run several virtual machines so I use lots of RAM throughout a workday. usually I'm only running one VM so I use about 7.9GB all day long. Without running a VM, I sit around 3 to 4GB. I've never seen mine over 4GB without firing up a virtual machine. I would imagine things like Photoshop would access a lot of that RAM if you use that program. For gaming and regular use I don't think machines ever use more than four. One nice thing about having lots of RAM is that my machine never uses the page file. It always sits at 0MB of usage. This is very good in my case because I have an SSD and you don't want Windows wearing out your expensive drive paging things in and out of RAM.

13. nealloy1981

Reputations:
    are you sure about that? can you give me any link where it says it will? did you try yourself?

14. evgasr2

evgasr2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you dont have to worry sandy bridge processors support 1600 and 1866 rams ,
    and you can expand it till 32gb,
    but you cant if you have an g73jh

15. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    I'm still waiting for the benchmarks that show improvements with 8 GB over 4 GB. The most memory hog games I've come across weigh in at under 2 GB, which leaves plenty of memory for other applications like VOIP, OS processes, steam, chat clients, a web browser, and a media player, with plenty of room to spare.

The main attractor for 8 GB over 4 GB imo is the marginal cost difference, due to the fact that memory prices keep dropping. I don't believe there are any legitimate performance implications under normal use.

Of course, you can contrive a use case for anything. Simply open chrome and start opening content heavy tabs until you hit a few GB. Then run your game. You won't get better performance by having 8 GB when playing games under normal conditions, but it would prevent your system from churning to a halt in this contrived condition.

16. CrossNF

CrossNF Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think the best solution for RAM upgrade at the moment is Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz PnP for laptops 8Gb kit.

It will pretty much max out the potential influence RAM could have on games.
    Is it worth the investment over 1333Mhz RAM remains a personal opinion anyway.

17. nealloy1981

Reputations:
    Is there no one who upgraded their G53 RAM 1333 to 1600 or over? Does the WEI score increased? Mine is at the moment 7.6 with 1333.

18. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    With more RAM, you can start playing with ramdisk. Say reserve 8GB ramdisk and you can load your game on ramdisk huh. Also, can dump all the rar cache/ internet cache etc there.

19. Crogge

Crogge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    6-8GB RAM is enough for games, 16GB is only useful if you run server applications or virtual machines on your current OS. Most of the modern games use only 2-3GB average, in extreme cases maybe 4GB. So as long as you have more than 4GB RAM you won't feel any difference at all.

20. CrossNF

CrossNF Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know that the Kingston 1866Mhz PnP RAM has 7.9 WEI score.

But people were writing for games the difference is mostly with a bit increased "lowest fps". Maximum fps seems to not be affected. So basically average fps is increased a bit thanks to increased lower fps.