Do I need a CDL to drive one of these?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by K-TRON, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    I am migrating toward a midsized vehicle for my future truck.

I am having difficulty deciding between two chassis.

I either want to get a Chevy 3500+ HD, the mid 80's look like this: (weighs 12,000lbs) (1.25 ton truck)
    [​IMG]

or a GMC Topkick 7000, which looks like this. (weighs about 30,000lbs) (rated at 3 tons or so)
    [​IMG]

I think I can get away with the Chevy, as in only needing a normal license, but I am not sure about the Topkick.
    I have failed my Commercial CDL license tests, so I want something which I can drive legally with a standard license.

I ultimately want to convert either into a manual pickup truck (10 or 13 speed roadranger, maybe double overdrive quadbox - dual spicers), with a hydraulic lift bed. I may want a small crane/lift arm on it for future use when I build my own house.

I like the Chevy 3500+ HD because its a vehicle I can park in a normal spot and blend in on the highway. It would allow me to put a Detroit 4-53T in it. A 6V53T would be tight
    It would unfortunately come with a four stroke GM Diesel 6.5L, which is a horrible engine

I like the very boxy front end of the Topkick 7000, It has a very strong frame, and can easily fit a 6V53, or a 6V92. I can get more power, but its height and weight would do terrible things for mileage
    It would come with the 6 cylinder Cat, or the inline or Vee type Detoit Diesel, so I could essentially buy a rig with the engine I want in it. I wouldnt be able to do that for the Chevy

Anyone know if I would need a CDL for either or both?

K-TRON

2. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    From what you said the smaller Chevy looks like the best most affordable/practical option.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    No CDL required for the first. Might could do the second in some states. I've been thinking of getting a CDL, does the test seem that hard? lol

4. sgilmore62

sgilmore62 uber doomer

Reputations:
    No, you do not need a CDL, 1) neither has air brakes and 2) neither is a combination vehicle.

5. sgilmore62

sgilmore62 uber doomer

Reputations:
    What CDL test did you fail--I was a driver trainer for 3 years.

6. K-TRON

Reputations:
    Class B I failed three times

The rig I ran in needed a new transmission. A million miles of use sure rips them apart. I was not getting clean shifts, and would ultimately miss a few of them.

Syndrome, its not per say very hard, but you need a decent rig and you need to be used to it. driving my old pete was not an easy task

K-TRON

7. sgilmore62

sgilmore62 uber doomer

Reputations:
    driving or written

8. K-TRON

Reputations:
    driving - updated above posts

K-TRON

9. sgilmore62

sgilmore62 uber doomer

Reputations:
    hmm, maybe you should go to another jurisdiction to take the test. Modern evaluaters do not put as much emphasis on shifting as safety and overall driving conscientiousness. Sounds like you got an "old school" evaluater maybe. Trainers used to hit you whenever you grind a gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.