Do I have to buy 230W power adapter for additional one?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Franky Jain, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Franky Jain

Franky Jain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found that there are different power walt of ac adapters selling in market which are 65W, 120W, 150W, 180W and 230W, My AERO 15 standard one is 230W , however, will it impact the performance if I buy a lower walt adapter? I really concern about it is because I need to run some application which require higher power output.

And I found that other brand's high-end laptop also use the 180W only like, MSI GS65 Stealth and ASUS ROG Zephyrus, Does it really matter for better performance?

2. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It may be an issue depending on your specs and if you overclock.
    You can watch the amount of power some system components draw in the sensors tab of GPUz and HWinfo.

Are you looking to get a smaller one to keep things more portable? If not for size/weight saving I'd go for 330W.

EDIT: Unsure what type of connector your PSU has, if it's the clevo/MSI 4 female pin type I can show you an ebay listing a 330W delta PSU that would be sweet.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  3. Franky Jain

Reputations:
    I think same as my standard one will be good enough, My laptop brand is Gigabyte Aero 15 OLED.

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just buy an equal charger, lower is not advised, because it can cause system shutdown, and lower performance, and more wont do it run faster, so if you need another charger, buy equal to what you already have.

5. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You'd have to confirm that the jack is the same size and polarity (take measurements of yours and send the seller a message), but if that checks out then you should find a lot of HP genuine 230W chargers quite cheap on ebay or amazon etc. A lot easier to find for less money than your Gigabyte 230W version it seems.

6. Franky Jain

Reputations:
    BTW, why some of brands(like HP, ASUS) use lower adapter in their high-end models when I comparing Gigabyte to them, if this will throat-cut performance from their models?