Do business-class laptops still have higher-quality parts compared to consumer models?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by kylera, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kylera

kylera Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I remember hearing a long time ago that the reason why business-class laptops (ThinkPad, Dell Latitude, HP EliteBook, etc.) are so pricey compared to consumer models, but feature lower specs is because their parts tend to be of higher quality, meaning that they would last longer before something breaks down.

Does that still hold true today? I go into Dell's online store, and I see the XPS in their business side, and here I thought the XPS was initially a consumer brand.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    xps used to be dell's alienware until they actually bought the alienware brand, then nerfed the xps specs

3. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Business class laptops are usually built with stronger materials for better durability and often offer more expansion ports and a docking port. Some also offer workstation grade graphics (Nvidia Quadro/AMD Firepro).

Jarhead and Kent T like this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The underlying hardware components (CPU, HDD/SSD, etc) are generally the same between consumer- and business-class notebooks. The major differences are in the physical design. As the former continually marches toward thin and light, the latter continues to be thicker and heavier so it can better withstand daily use and abuse. Business systems are also easier to work on, with more components that are easy to replace, either by in-house IT staff or factory technicians who provide on-site support. Any downtime means a company is losing revenue. The up-front cost for a Latitude or Elitebook can be higher than an XPS or Envy, but that expense is usually made up on the back end with longer running time.

Jarhead, dahlia, triturbo and 4 others like this.
  5. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    saturnotaku here said it all. And agreed 100% solidly. When many a consumer notebook must be babied to get 3 years of good life, very often the business system's sturdier build and ease of maintenance gets twice the useful lifespan. Parts and accessories are also much easier to find, which helps extend the life of these laptops. In the long run, the business class laptop is the cheapest to own.

pitz, Starlight5 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Also, keyboards are still way better. (=

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Yeah, buying 'cheap' is for the rich kids. Buy quality when you value your hard earned $$$. ;)

Jarhead and Kent T like this.
  8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    This. And better warranties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. hungle

hungle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looking at only the same configuration, I found that a Mac is usually more expensive than a PC. Since I only need a laptop for 6 years maximum, a PC is good enough for me.

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    And is a Macbook designed for ease of repair, upgrading or replacing a tired battery?

John

11. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That last question is the equaivalent, in parenting terms, or asking:

And is a high-powered, extremely volatile, explosive device, with nails and shards of metal taped to the outside, a good toy for your child to play with?

tilleroftheearth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.