DIY Project Valerie - Triple Screen Laptop (COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TheUberMedic, Feb 1, 2020.

1. ritterbutzke

ritterbutzke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, amazing build!
    I am actually trying to make my own 144hz portable monitor, because there are no good options on the market. I have some questions if you dont mind:
    1) Where did you buy the Panels and power supply? Lots of sellers send "equivalent" panels.
    2) Just to make sure the link is correct, you are using the RTD2795UT V1.1 control board?
    3) Have you tried to determine how much input lag is added by the control board?
    4) Why did you choose this particular panel over say AUO82ED (faster pixel reponse)?

Thanks!

2. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1) I bought them from eBay and Amazon. If you ask for specifically those panels, they'll give you them. There's also sites like https://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/shop/ that I've bought from as well.
    2) Yep that's the board
    3) Nope. No idea how to do that.
    4) I just got whatever I knew would work (board seller tested it with that panel) BUT I did end up getting a AUO82ED and it works as well so use that if you'd like :)

3. ritterbutzke

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks for the info!
    to 1) What is the power supply called?
    to 3) The panel of your XMG Pro is AUO80ED right? You could compare the input lag between that and one of the other AUO80ED panels by filming a button press in a slowmotion mode if your phone has one.
    Here is an example at 8:50:
    to 4) Besides the faster pixel reponse of the AUO82ED, any other visual differences?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  4. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    1) Since I'm using two screens, I'm using a 12V 3A DC with a 5.5x2.5 barrel plug. A 12V 1A adapter is enough for one screen.
    3) That is the screen. Problem is, I accidentally broke the screen of my laptop and replaced it with the AUO82ED soo... yeah... That happened. So I can't give a direct comparison.
    4) The only other visual difference I notice is that it "feels" brighter. Like, the 80 feels like the 82 is at 80% brightness. It's quite nice.

I'm actually planning on ordering a AUOA0ED (B156HAN10.0) screens and seeing if they work since they seem to be the exact same specs BUT with HDR, is more colour accurate, can reproduce more colours, is brighter and has a higher contrast ratio.
    I've also got a B156ZAN05.0 screen (4K 120hz) to replace the 82 I've temporarily replaced in my laptop but I'm waiting on more stuff before trying to fit that in (it doesn't fit physically so I'm gonna chop off a couple of bits to make it fit)

5. ritterbutzke

Reputations:
    Wow, those are some top of the line panels. The 4k 120hz is MiniLED as well!
    Have you tried the B156ZAN05.0 with the control board?

And does the control board have brightness control with a good range? I like to use screens at quite low brightness 99% of the time

6. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    First thing i did was try it with the control board :p
    Sadly it comes up looking janky (gets split into quadrants, right side is black, top left is copied on the bottom left) so the board needs a firmware update to get it to work.

As for the brightness, it's meh. Like you can notice the difference between min and max brightness but not by much. Also, it's split into "backlight" and "brightness". Backlight is actually how bright the screen is while brightness seems to be more colour

7. ritterbutzke

Reputations:
    Ah too bad.
    So, say the AUO82ED/AUO80ED at minimum "backlight" is still quite bright?
    Thanks for all the info!

8. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Here's two pics comparing it at min backlight and max backlight if it helps:
    20200329_140146.jpg 20200329_140100.jpg

9. ritterbutzke

Reputations:
    Thanks! However the exposure looks to be different in both photos (The background in second pic is much brighter)
    Would you say at minimum backlight it is comfortable to use in a fairly dim room?

10. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Id say yes it is comfortable