DIY Project Valerie - Triple Screen Laptop (COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TheUberMedic, Feb 1, 2020.

1. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So the whole inspiration for this project is in the title: Razer's Project Valerie. Shoving 3 4K screens into a laptop while still maintaining some sort of resemblence to a laptop was an awesome idea (too awesome cause it got stolen I guess :p )
    While a good idea, the execution of it didn't make a lot of sense in some areas. Triple 4K gaming on a GTX 1080 just wasn't feasable. If you wanted to use it as an actual laptop, you'd have to deal with the extra weight of the 2 unused screens. Battery life would go down the drain. A mechanized way of taking out the extra screens just added to weight and complexity although very cool etc.

How about something that had a more suitable panel (1080p 144hz), was detachable and ran on its own power source? Youtubers like DIYPerks and LinusTechTips have done something similar where they took an old laptop screen, connect it to a display board and you have another monitor. So I did the same and bought 2 B156HAN0.80 screens, this control board: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32823550655.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4db14c4dW5TG8h and a brick to power it all. Here's the inital results:

Success! Hardware-wise, it does work.

Since it's a 1080p 144hz panel (it can go to 165hz supprisingly), it needs 12V to run so powering it off USB is a no go. Because of this, there are two ways of powering this: stick to the brick or use a USB PD battery bank and PD trigger. Some control boards do support USB C power and video so that's a possiblity but the max they support I've seen is 1080p 60hz.
    Also, the inital eDP cables that came with the board are only 30cm long so I kindly asked the seller for longer cables which they were kind enough to provide (for a fee :|).

Just a side note, the laptop I'm using is the XMG Pro 15 (Early 2019) / Clevo PB51 with an RTX 2070.

All that's left to do is make some sort of casing to shove it into that can be detached from the laptop and hold the battery in-place. 3D printing should do the trick. Got myself an Ender 3 Pro and an education edition of Fusion 360 to get going.

I did want to use the hinge design that DIY Perks used in his dual screen laptop video but if I did, the screen would overhang by 50cm so I'd have to make it stick out 50cm on the left and right of my laptop. Thankfully, I thought of a different design so I wouldn't have to resort to that:

This also allows for extra adjustments in the angle of the screens which is nice since I initially went for a 120 degree angle.
    (The black bar is meant to represent my laptop screen)
    With both screens on, it should end up looking like this:
    Fully folded should end up something like this:
    Unfortunately, my 3D printer is still back home and I'm at my uni flat for the time being so this is as far as I go until I go back and print it. Either that, or I just randomly turn up, grab my 3D printer and go back. Rather not cause a 2 and a half hour train ride carrying a 3D printer would be terrible...

I did grab the hardware of the screens last time I was back home so I'm using one of them like this now:
    (I may have broken one of the screens moving it here hence only 1 screen...)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Primes, Fire Tiger, triturbo and 2 others like this.
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Very awesome!!

Charles

3. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds awesome!

I can't see the pictures though :)

4. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
  5. iionas

iionas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ceph thats awesome bro, but the pics dont work!

6. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Aw it might be cause they're set to owner only, ill change it now

7. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Update!
    I managed to get that broken second screen working again so I'm using that now.
    Also, my testing with that battery I ordered is halfway done. It does work to power both screens at once and does adjust the wattage itself to suit the output.
    This is what I was most worried about since I didn't want it to blast the full 65W into the circuits. Now the final test is how long it'll last from full charge but it's taking ages to charge

(fun fact I found out about while charging it, using a micro B to type C adapter actually slows the charging than using the micro b itself. The adapter slows the charging to about 2W while the direct cable charges at 8W)

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  8. banan0o

banan0o Newbie

Reputations:
    How much do you think it'll weight? I'm wondering if it'll still be portable.

9. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Battery test has concluded!
    The 20100mAH battery lasts for 3 hours, 6 minutes and 21 seconds. Not very good I know but there is also the option to power it via a brick so battery life isn't too important and I'm very unlikely to use it in public (maybe on the occasional train ride just to freak out fellow passengers :p )
    I can actually check exactly how much it'll weigh using Cura.

According to Cura and taking into account the weight of the battery, the total weight of it will be 1.752Kg. Keep in mind this is still in design and I've yet to start shaving off weight from it (I used the undesigned models for the weighing, the decorated ones would be lighter)

Guess Ill get started on shaving some weight. I already managed to cut 4 pieces down to almost half their weight which is nice

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    triturbo likes this.
  10. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    i love these kind of mods.