DIY eGPU MacOS Experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by timohour, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyph3rz

cyph3rz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here is an unmodified Info.plist from NVDAGF100Hal.kext
    I've renamed it to Info.plist.txt so I can attach to this post.
    You have to remove ".txt" from the file name and repair its permissions once you put at the right place.

Attached Files:

2. cyph3rz

Reputations:
    Here is a post I've replied from the thread DIY eGPU Case Proposal (Thunderbolt). I think it concerns to this one as well.

3. bsrdwild

bsrdwild Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I found this forum just recently. I borrowed a P4EH EC2C and a GTX 550 Ti form a friend to test it with my MacBook Pro 3,1 (mid 2008). But I can't get it to work. I'm obviously doing something wrong. First of all, where can I get the drivers from? Do I have to patch anything? Is the card the right one or should I get an AMD card instead?

Or should I try to get it to work on Windows 7 partition? I tried it there as well but I can't get the drivers (295.75 i think) to install.
    Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Update: I just installed the 270.00.00f06 Web Release from Nvidia site and modified the Distribution file and just added "MacBookPro3,1" to the list. The Installer started this time and installed the drivers. Now in System I can see the card. But how can I tell maces to use it (I want to use internal lcd)?

4. cyph3rz

Reputations:
    In Mac OS X you can't use internal LCD from your Macbook yet (or ever).

In Windows you would use NVIDIA Optimus driver and choose to use your internal LCD IF your Macbook had a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge internal GPU (aka Intel HD3000 and Intel HD4000). Since your Macbook Pro is from mid 2008 you have to connect an external LCD in Windows as well.

5. EpicBlob

EpicBlob Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi,

Well it does seem like the TB port is somehow stopping my card to connect with my macbook pro. Did you do anything else for the card to appear? Or did you just:

-Plug in expresscard
    -turn on macbook
    -Card appeared in system profiler

or was it a different method?

Also, does anyone know where/how I can find ATY_init? My info.plist just doesn't seem to be loading.

6. bsrdwild

bsrdwild Newbie

Reputations:
    What I did was
    - power up the card and atx unit (macbook off)
    - boot macbook
    - in system profiler there was nothing detected
    - downloaded the drivers and modified the mentioned file
    - installed the drivers
    - reboot
    - back in machos I looked into the system profiler and there it was

I also have to say that the card was detected from the first time I connected it because in the menu bar I had this screen icon where I could choose to disable the cards.

I'll try and connect it to an external display to see if at least that is working.

I also read that the limitation (you need to have an Intel HD internal card) is no longer valid, because of this DSDT override (http://forum.notebookreview.com/8377566-post8941.html). Has anybody tried this so far?

7. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As cyph3rz said there is no working way so far to use the eGPU with Internal screen for OpenGL apps. However, OpenCL applications (like Final Cut X...) will use the card if it is detected properly.

Intel HD and/or DSDT override has nothing to do with each other. Also Optimus won't work @ OSX only Windows...

Pls for noob questions refer first to the thread DIY eGPU experiences. There is plenty of info to read...

8. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

You won't need ATY_init with the new drivers.
    Can you explain us what you did when using Windows and exactly what you did when using OS X?

9. witinjou

witinjou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    MSI specs tell us it's a GTX460SE and they fail to list it's poor core count.

There are four variants of the GTX460 with the GTX460SE being the lowest performing unit. It's 288 versus 336 cores being similar to comparing a GTX560 (336) to a GTX560Ti (384).

GTX460SE-1GB: 288 cores, 256bit bus, 1GB RAM
    GTX460-768GB: 336 cores, 192bit bus, 768MB RAM
    GTX460v2: 336 cores, 192bit bus, 1GB RAM ** uses new more efficient GF114 chip**
    GTX460-1GB: 336 cores, 256bit bus, 1GB RAM

I'd advise hunting down a second hand GTX460-1GB OC version for best bang-per-buck with anywhere up to 17% better performance. Having the same core count meaning it's performance is similar to a GTX560. A GTX560 uses the more efficient GF114 chip so may overclock better and uses slightly less power. Still, at AR$90, the MSI GTX460SE is a better bang-per-buck *new* option than say a GTS450/GTX550Ti (192 cores).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.