DIY eGPU MacOS Experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by timohour, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Out of my depth with MacOS, but unless there is native support for the GTX550Ti which is lacking for a GTX460 then there would be no reason to get it over a s/h GTX460.

A GTX550Ti has 192 cuda cores, a GTX460-1GB has 336, or 75% more performance potential. They can be had for a lot less as a s/h ebay purchase. Be sure to look for the 1GB 336 cores version avoiding the SE, V2 or 768MB versions. The best ones being the OC versions.

2. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    According to this post, it seems GTX460 should work out-of-the-box in Mac OS X Lion. GTX550Ti is a good choice too because it has been tested on 10.7.3 & it works out-of-the-box.

3. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I am waiting for a used gtx 460 1gb this week. Most of these cards are supposed to work with OSX 10.7 with minor tweaks or out of the box. As soon as I get it I ll try out.

4. witinjou

witinjou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thank you guys so much.

around my friends i like to name myself the one computer savvy, compared to you guys...no comment lol. but i like to learn new things all the time and this one has certainly be one of those that are fun to learn. left me :eek:

i will try out the gtx460 sometime this week and will post back later. been busy with work and training for a bycicle tour.

thanks again, will keep in touch.

5. EpicBlob

EpicBlob Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Would it be a good idea to trade in my geforce 560 for a geforce 460? Would there be a big drop in performance? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 560 is just a rebranded 460. I am planning on using my egpu on multiple mac computers, so having a compatible card would but very well.

6. witinjou

Reputations:
    are the amd radeons cards mentioned on the first post by @timohour the only ones compatible with osx or are there other that work right out of the box? i am not too familiar with AMD as i have usually chose Nvidia over ATI, which would be better than my GTX460?

thanks @nando4 for the info about the lack of performance on the GTX550Ti, i will keep an eye out for that detail.

7. witinjou

Reputations:
    is this Newegg.com - XFX Double D Black Edition FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card better than my GTX460 and better than the GTX550ti?

@nando4, by cuda cores, does this mean that this RADEON HD has 640 cores? I went to the details and saw "streaming processors: 640"

On the topic of AMD - Nvidia comparison. On the RADEON cards, is higher the number the better? for example, if we were to say a RADEON HD 7440 (made up numbers) is better than a RADEON HD 6440? But, not better than a RADEON HD 6660? since the only difference is that they are using a different chipset architecture (the number 6xxx & 7xxx), but the series on is higher x660 > x440?

8. timohour

Reputations:
    No, you don't have to trade a 560 for a 460. All 5XX and 4XX should work under the latest update (10.7.4) and the Nvidia drivers package. Especially on macs Fermi cards (if their Device ID is added in the info.plist) are supposed to work without ATYinit or efirom, plug n play, just no boot screen.

Yes as mentioned on the first post as of now the only Ati cards that have full support are 58XX, 57XX, 68XX. Also it is noted that 69XX will be fully supported in OSX 10.8 as shown here. I have personally tried to attach an 6950 with no positive result as of 1/2012 with 10.6.7. We also expect support of the 78XX and 79XX series in ML but it ain't for sure. As of now you should better stick with your GTX460 waiting for either Keplar support (no signs it will come) or 78XX support. You could also get a GTX580 which will work OOB.

9. timohour

Reputations:
    Palit Sonic OC GTX460 working perfectly @ x1 2.0 with OS X 10.7.3 after the Nvidia Update Driver. No need for any tweaks for OpenGL to work. Maybe needs some tweaking to enable OpenCL. Will be find out soon

10. EpicBlob

EpicBlob Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tried the Nvidia drivers on 10.7.4 but the card is still not detected.

Could someone send me an unmodified info.plist file? Hopefully this time around it won't corrupted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.