DIY eGPU MacOS Experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by timohour, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EpicBlob

EpicBlob Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry been on vacation and my finals are this week. I think it has to do with my info.plist not being loaded properly... I'll work on it when I get home tonight.

2. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Diablo III on Mac + eGPU

Game running smooth with ATI5870 @x2 link eGPU. The picture seems slightly blurry than on windows though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know any FRAPS equivalent software for Mac?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  3. cyph3rz

cyph3rz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if it works, but you can try this: atMonitor

If it doen't work fullscreen, try it windowed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the above doesnt work there must be something in the Quartz Debug Tools (coming with Xcode, which is a huge download). I have it on my 4530s so as soon as I am at home I will test and post back.

5. EpicBlob

EpicBlob Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Might try Screen Capture Tool. $6 on the mac app store. Records audio and in full screen.

Edit: Also, which terminal command is it to load my info.plist file?

6. cyph3rz

cyph3rz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think he meant a FPS counter.
    To record screen you can even use QuickTime X as well.

I'm not quite sure but I think info.plist is loaded on every boot.

@kizwan said your info.plist is probably corrupted so you need to restore it from a backup or find what is wrong in its syntax.

If @kizwan or @timohour can confirm that this file is not unique on every Mac I can upload my untouched info.plist when I get home later.

7. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it is the same. but you have to upload the info.plist of the specific kext he is trying to modify.
    Better install the new 10.7.4 Nvidia Drivers. It will replace the old modified kexts with new which you have to back up and mod again

@kizwan

Well yes it does work. I will upload it here.

After you open it from Tools Enable Quartz Extreme and Quartz GL (if disabled)
    Then Go Tools>Dock (or Right click on the dock) and Enable FPS History and Numerical History. That works for overall system fps meter but it can be used for Windowed apps, not sure if you can log it somewhere.

Something like that

[​IMG]

Or enable the Frame meter from menu Window

Something like that

[​IMG]

Download here

Won't work for Fullscreen apps.

8. witinjou

witinjou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello to everyone,

I came across this thread after hearing from my brother-in-law that it was possible to make a DIY eGPU and attach it my MacBook Pro (late '08) - MacBookPro5,1. Read all of your posts but i am just clueless as how it works.

@kizwan, i saw your last post with the screen shots of Diablo 3 (which i am currently playing with my macbook pro) and i drooled all over. So, I'd like to ask if you could help me set up my DIY eGPU to my 15' macbook pro gen 5, of course at your spare time. I would greatly appreciate your help (and all the other posters on this thread - @timohour @cyph3rz @EpicBlob and anyone else who may have posted).

I have an NVidia GeForce GTX460 card with all the cords and components needed to attach to the external monitor. I just dont know how to set it up.

I also just installed the new nvidia drivers but i am not sure if if was installed correctly (even if it said installed successfully)

9. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Hi witinjou,

According to this, your notebook have ExpressCard slot. So, you can either use PE4L-EC2C v1.5 / v2.1 (&) or PE4H-EC2C (&). You also need ATX power supply (for GTX460, 15A on +12V/12V1 rail is sufficient). To set it up pretty easy:-
    1. Connect two 6-pin PCIe power connectors to GTX460
    2. Connect floppy power connector to PE4L or PE4H
    3. Connect GTX460 to PCIe slot on the PE4L or PE4H
    4. (PE4L v1.5 or PE4H) Connect PE4L/PE4H & EC2C card with mini-HDMI cable

(PE4H) On PE4H, connect mini-HDMI to first port.

5. Connect EC2C to ExpressCard slot (macbook in power OFF state).
    6. Connect external monitor to eGPU.
    7. Power ON eGPU & power ON macbook.

GTX460 should work on Mac OS X. With Lion you might need this tweak to get it run better. Remember, it only running at PCIe x1 link 2.5Gb/s bandwidth in each directions (5Gb/s concurrent). Comparing to PCIe x16, there will be some performance lost when running at PCIe x1 link. Roughly, it will work at 80% from GPU full performance at best, due to limited bandwidth. Macbook with Sandy Bridge (SB) CPU support double the bandwidth, 5Gb/s bandwidth in each directions (10Gb/s concurrent). With SB chipset, performance improved a lot.

The differences between PE4L v1.5 & PE4L v2.1 & PE4H are:-
    • PE4L v1.5 only support PCIe 1.0/2.0 x1 Gen1, 2.5Gb/s bandwidth in each directions (5Gb/s concurrent).
    • PE4L v2.1 only support PCIe 2.0 x1 Gen2, 5Gb/s bandwidth in each directions (10Gb/s concurrent).
    • PE4H support PCIe 1.0/2.0 x1 Gen1, 2.5Gb/s bandwidth in each directions (5Gb/s concurrent).

Your macbook only support PCIe 1.0/2.0 x1 Gen1, so you can use any of the three. PE4H have full-length PCIe x16 slot but eGPU will only work at PCIe x1 link. So, basically no different than PE4L.

PE4H support PCIe x1/x2/x4 link. However, I believe it is unlikely macbook support x2/x4 link because x2 link alone require hoking up PE4H to two PCIe ports (either two mPCIe ports OR ExpressCard + mPCIe):-
    • PCIe port 1 + port 2

OR
    • PCIe port 3 + port 4

OR
    • PCIe port 5 + port 6

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  10. witinjou

witinjou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.