DIY: EGPU GTX 970 with DELL 702X 3D edition easy plug and play

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master33, Dec 9, 2015.

1. master33

master33 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Greetings John702x-

I'm here to help.

I'm glad you got the EVGA G2 850 PSU because now you will have the potential power to be able to fully overclock your gtx 970 to 1600mhz+.

You have to hold the "FUNCTION" button on your keyboard and press the F1 key, so your laptop will output to the external monitor.

There should be a total of four plugs coming out of the back of your EVGA G2 850 PSU. One plug is connected to the power switch for the PE4l. One plug is connected to the floppy molex of the PE4l board. One PCI-E 6 pin plug is connected to the GTX 970 board. The other PCI-E 6 pin is connected to the other GTX 970 board.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need me to show your a picture of my setup.

All the best.

-M

2. master33

Reputations:
    Greetings Mike M-

I think the DELL XPS L701 should work fine with the EGPU setup that you are running.

However, I'm not familiar with Windows 10. Also, I'm not familiar with the settings on the EXP GDC.

I'm guessing it may be a Windows 10 problem. Is there a way you can install Windows 7?

Also, check the jumpers and switches on the exp gdc if it has any.

Good luck.

All the best.

-M

3. master33

Reputations:
    Greetings iceman100cy-

Nice upgrades!

I'm not familiar with other EGPU connectors. I love my PE4l because I'm running it with zero problems, so I personally consider it my best option.

All the best.

-M

4. master33

Reputations:
    Greetings iceman100cy-

I would email the vendor and ask them what is the difference between version "a" and version "b."

Post back what they say.

All the best.

-M

5. Mhermes

Mhermes Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same Dell L702x 3d
    and I can't find the pe4l-pm060 anywhere
    I also have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X I "need" to connect if it's possible

I would really appreciate any helpful input

thank you

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  6. master33

Reputations:

Greetings Mhermes-

I just saw some PE4L's for sale on ebay.

All the best.

-M

7. iceman100cy

iceman100cy Newbie

Reputations:
    dell xps 17 702x non 3d version.

Hello

Manage to get pe4l-pm060 wire same one used by Master33. Was the last one from mfactor webstore.
    Before spending more money and cutting up my laptop decited to give it a test.

Used a friends pc component.
    Card used was an msi nvidia gtx660 couldn't find any newer one.
    Using Windows 10 pro on my dell

There was not any plug and play.
    When the card was connected the laptop wouldnt start. Not even loading bios. Just a black screen.

The only way that i manage to get it to "see" the card and install drivers was to
    1)unistall the nvidia gt555m drivers and disable the card
    2) start laptop get into BIOS connect the pcie connector and then exit bios.

Only then will load. Unfortunately if I restarted or shut down the nvidia gtx555m will be recognized and reinstall drivers by its self.

Btw dont know if its relevant but when the egpu was working laptop monitor and external screen were working with out twicking otpimus etc

Looking forward for any suggestions as i would like to be as sure as possible before investing in to a new vga.

P.s thinking of a 1060

8. master33

Reputations:
    Greetings iceman100cy-

I only know for sure that the GTX970 reference edition card works flawlessly with our current laptops without any issues (I have not tried any other setups).

However, I'm inferring the GTX970 and newer "reference edition" cards should be able to be plug and play on an EGPU setup with Windows 7 on our laptops because the GTX970 reference edition works fine. I'm thinking the problem you are having with the GTX660 may have something to do with some stuff I have read about:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/#comment-91134

https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...de-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu/

I remember reading something that Nand0 stated regarding older graphics cards and problems with booting.

Also, try looking for a "modified BIOS" for the DELL 702X. I have seen forums with the modified BIOS that will allow you to turn off the nvidia 555m or the intel integrated graphics.

I hope this helps. Please post back with any progress.

Good luck!

All the best.

-M

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  9. iceman100cy

iceman100cy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks man. I will keep u posted

10. l3lkcy

l3lkcy Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any opinions on the PE4C-PM060A V3.0? I can't seem to find the older pe4l-pm060 v2.1 anywhere but ebay; the price has sky rocketed to the point that building a PC would make more sense. However, if anyone even thinks the newest and cheapest version has a high chance of working then I'm willing to give this a try.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017