DIY: EGPU GTX 970 with DELL 702X 3D edition easy plug and play

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master33, Dec 9, 2015.

1. master33

master33 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Greetings:

My intent is to show the following setup is as easy as 1-2-3 by just plugging the components into the laptop without any additional software.

If you wanted to setup an eGPU with the DELL L702X 3D edition and was hesitant, go for it because it is super easy, and the results are absolutely amazing.

The following setup is completely possible with just PLUG and PLAY without any errors from Windows 7:

Laptop: Dell XPS L702X (3D edition)
    EGPU connector: mpcie pe4l-pm060a
    Video card: GTX 970 (reference card edition)

Just plug everything in, and Windows 7 recognizes everything without any hassle.

I can now run games at ULTRA settings on the GTX 970 that I could not run relying on the 555m that was the dGPU.

Here is what the Dell L702 looks like while attached with the EGPU:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    See the following post if you want to cut a hole, so you can have the keyboard sitting flush:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...l702x-required-physical-modifications.763330/

[​IMG]

Here is Windows 7 instantly recognizing the GTX 970 without any errors:

[​IMG]

Here is the overclocked GTX 970 running stable:
    [​IMG]

Here are the benchmarks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Updates:
    [​IMG]

[UPDATE 5-19-2016]
    Get a 850W Power supply (EVGA 850W G2 Supernova), or the GTX 970 Reference edition will not have enough power and black out during heavy graphics processing.

I was constantly getting black screens, BSOD, or the display driver would crash with the GTX 970. I thought I had a faulty card, faulty egpu connector, insufficient thermal paste, or faulty bios flashing. However, I discovered today that all these symptoms were a result of insufficient power supply to the GTX 970.

The EVGA 500W power supply that I used is insufficient for the GTX 970 Reference edition in games that use heavy graphics because it would turn off during intense PhysX games. I don't blame EVGA, but I do blame nvidia for posting on their website that a 500W power supply is sufficient to run this card. Furthermore, I thought since I was running 500W to the GTX 970 without sharing the 500W with a CPU or other accessories, then the 500W would be enough.

The good thing is that with an EVGA 850W power supply I have been running the GTX 970 without any crashes, and I even have an extra 15 FPS now.

UPDATE 8-16-2017

Here are the benchmarks with the EGPU after I did the following upgrades to my DELL XPS 702X:

Upgraded my CPU from a 2720QM to a 2960XM
    [​IMG]

Upgraded my RAM from 1333mhz to 1866mhz (running at 1600mhz)
    [​IMG]

Cut custom vents into my laptop:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nd-overclocking-physical-modification.807316/

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

NOW:
    [​IMG]

All the best.

-M-

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    brunorun, jaybee83 and CaerCadarn like this.
  2. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Now THAT's crazy man! You did a really bad ass, awesome job dude!

Has it to be the 3D-Version?

3. master33

Reputations:
    Thanks!

I think this should work with non-3D versions as well because the only material difference is the 3D nvidia infrared device and the screen, and I don't see how that difference would hinder the EGPU compatibility. However, I know for sure it works with the 3D-version easily without any additional software modification (as easy as plugging in an external hard drive).

CaerCadarn likes this.
  4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    very straight forward, thats what id call an easy peasy DIY egpu project :D just wondering if its the bandwidth thats holding back the 970 or maybe the cpu/ram or maybe both? looking at the fs score im guessing its both the bandwidth and the cpu @graphics and physics subscores. still, insanely more powerful than your internal dgpu for sure! :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CaerCadarn likes this.
  5. AlxR4

AlxR4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I prefer the Alienware Graphics AmplifierIt is much cleanerGood Job though.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.

6. master33

Reputations:
    The GTX 970 is being held back by the x1 pci slot because the GTX 970 usually goes into a x16 link.

This setup is even faster than a "GTX970m (mobile version of the chip)":
    [​IMG]

7. master33

Reputations:
    I dig the Bose setup you got! I like Bose surround sound.

I don't mind having the GTX 970 out in the open because the card looks beautiful with the way it is designed. I love the way Nvidia has been designing their new graphics cards with the stylish reference coolers, so it looks like something out of the movie Terminator (Cyberdyne). I was going to put it into a small PC case, but then I like staring at the card's fan when it spools up on GPU load. Also, I love the way the "Geforce GTX" lights up in green and gives my desktop a soft glow. I just need to organize the cables on my desk for a cleaner look.
    I might upgrade to Bose surround soon.

CaerCadarn and jaybee83 like this.
  8. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So does this mean that using the eGPU (self made or by the amplifier) with the L702X isn't able to use the full power due to insufficient pci-lanes!? So at least x16 is needed?

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    well yes and no. trouble with most egpu systems is indeed either insufficient bandwidth in terms of pcie lanes or internal laptop hardware bottlenecking the egpu (first and foremost mobile cpu!)

on the bright side, pcie bandwidth doesnt let you lose as much performance as, say, lower clocks, less cores or lower vram amount/bandwidth. so its still a nice tradeoff and a good bump in performance when using an egpu :)

looking at highend desktop gpus, even a titan x doesnt show that much of a performance loss when comparing 16 to 8 to 4 pcie lanes or 16 lanes each of pcie 3.0 / 2.0 / 1.0. sure u do definitely see the performance loss but its not like it completely tanks, but is rather limited to several percent...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CaerCadarn likes this.
  10. master33

Reputations:
    There is "enough" power with the external gpu setup with the GTX 970 to run most games at the highest graphics card settings despite the pci-lane bandwidth limitation.

Although "full" power potential of the GTX 970 is not reached, there is enough power to play at a very comfortable FPS.

Hence, if you're a student like me who has only a laptop to lug to school, and you don't want to spend money to build a desktop because the i7 is plenty enough of CPU power, then I highly recommend an EGPU setup.

CaerCadarn and jaybee83 like this.