DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. SimoxTav

SimoxTav Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't get too excited, considering how long it will take to reach the market with their new solution we'll have these first:

PCI Express cables could take us to 32Gbps speeds by 2013 -- Engadget

PCIe cables will come to consumer market on 2013, this move from VillageDock sounds more like a failure in the roadmap to achieve a working Thunderbolt solution in time, than a powerful evolution to lead the market. Considering how much the current PCIe bandwidth is used, i don't see the need to have an improvement on that side because the bottleneck will always be provided by the choice of notebook manufacturers (controllers, ports availability, electrical connections and so on). As stated before, notebook manufacturers are worried by the potential of an eGPU solution, that's why the know how is deeply kept between few players. Otherwise the notebook gaming market would be shattered and with that their profits.
    Don't forget that starting from 2013 Intel will provide all their motherboard with a TB port. That will be the date IMHO.

2. 7words

7words Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for this thread!
    You can boost the graphics power of an Intel netbook by the factor 20. An ASUS EEE-PC X101 with an ATI Radeon 4850 (PE4L 1.5 with PM3N) is working flawlessly in Windows 8, I scored 2047 points in 3DMark06 over an External LCD and 1280x1024 resolution. The Atom N435 was overclocked to 1561Mhz.

3. EpicBlob

EpicBlob Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The cable sounds amazing, but VT needs to release their Thunderbolt Vidock before anything. They said it would decrease licensing fees, but I would rather have thunderbolt now and pay a little bit more than some other cable that probably won't be ready for a long time. Wish the best for VT.

4. minnus

minnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I feel VT doesn't really care about their potential/current customers. It took them this long to simply update us, and even then, it wasn't the update we were expecting.

on another note, MSI said they are in a phase where they are deciding whether or not to market the product as a enclosure (with no gpu) or one with a you built in.

5. Xav

Xav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. Fabi3n

Fabi3n Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, no problem to take sample from my profile ;)
    If you want to do x1.2optimus on internal screen, you will need setup1.x to disable the NVS4200 video card, to be able to activate optimus working with your eGPU.
    Normaly you would not have any error12, but if you'll have, setup1.x will correct that.
    If you buy more ram, it will be preferable to reinstall a x64 OS !

7. LoneNF

LoneNF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, Nando already answered my PM about that.
    Of course >4Gb does`n make any sense with 32bit OS.

Why are you waiting for setup 1.x? Didn`t you got it with the PE4L 2.1b?

8. bjorm

bjorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you need to buy it separately.

9. Fabi3n

Fabi3n Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i edited my signature !
    as bjorm said, i bought setup 1.x after buying my pe4l because hit don't sell this package yet !
    But you'll get a $10 coupon if you pm hitrc (nbr forum user).

10. bjorm

bjorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    does your setup work fine already?