DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZakeSLM

ZakeSLM Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I tried that first, before purchasing Setup 1.x. It resulted in Error 12 being reported on the eGPU in the Task Manager. I'll keep messing with it and see if I can make some headway.

I'm going to try giving DIY eGPU Setup 1.x its own bootloader and see if my system can resume from a hibernation without the previously described problem. If it does, that would be good enough.

Anyway, thank you for the assistance.

2. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    In details, boot with eGPU OFF, enter Setup 1.x, do PCI compaction, Chainload, sleep/standby, turn ON eGPU & resume.

Setup 1.x use windows boot manager. Try create Setup 1.x disk but I don't know whether you can or can't select boot drive when resume from hibernate.

3. demolk

demolk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys ,
    Here is my spec

Msi Cx 623
    I5 460m
    4gb Ram (3,79usable)
    iGpu: Intel HD
    dGpu: Geforce 310m
    Egpu: Geforce Gtx 560
    Nvidia 295,73 with moded inf

My statup.bat :
    call speedup lbacache
    call iport dGPU off
    call vidwait -d 10de:1201
    call vidinit -d 10de:1201
    call pci
    call grub4dos mbr

Well everything was working fine since 3month but now i have a problem, after 15/20 minutes my system just crash , and when i unplugged my egpu everything crash again .

In the past i could plug it and unplug it as i wanted even when i was playing a game .

So now i can't stand more than 20 minutes without a crash , and its totally random not because of temperature or something . i think both my problems are conected . So i am trying to find something to be able to unplug my egpu without crashing everything .

If any of you have suggestions that would be great.

Ps: sorry for my english :x

4. Fabi3n

Fabi3n Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hi, did you try formating and reinstalling OS ?

5. demolk

demolk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's a fresh install of windows :x

6. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am having the same problem, but with a used PE4L 1.5. I've just ordered a PE4H from HIT. Hopefully when I it comes in it will detect the brand new psu and gtx 460 I just bought for this setup.

7. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Should have PM'd me! Could you post a little bit more about what's going on? The PE4L was 100% working when I packaged it up, so I'd like to see you get it up and running. I've got 3DMark benches posted in here somewhere as proof. The green light comes on? Have you checked the position of the switches, they could have gotten moved during shipping. Next thing I would check is the cable. These short cables have caused problems for several people, simple replacemnt fixed everything. I never tried to use that cable, I used a mini-to-standard HDMI cable and the standard-to-mini adapter that came with my 460. Could try that if you haven't.

Although you did mention you already bought a PE4H..

8. antiknown

antiknown Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else with the PE4L 2.1a. The card does not appear to be recognized at all.

Dell Latitude e6430
    550w Ultra PSU
    GTX 465
    old ATI x1800

Both cards work in desktop mobo with that power supply.

The USB port on the PE4L does work (mouse recognized immediately when plugged in).

I also get lights D1, D3 and D4 when laptop is off, and D4 turns off when laptop is on. What does each light mean?

I just got it today and after reading these forums I was VERY careful with the cable so I don't think I would have broke it. I'm pretty sure I've tried all configurations of the switches and turning on the egpu both before and after the computer started. Does anyone know what the jumper is for? I have not touched it.

Has anyone gotten a v2.1a to work?

9. fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey hizzaah, I'm not worried about the actual working condition of the PE4L. The green light comes on and everything, and the jumper is closed on JP4, open on JP3. I had to adjust the jumper myself because the default jumper setting caused smoke! (to answer antiknown: the jumper setting is used to regulate 5V/3.3V from whatever power source you are using) I shut down the PSU quickly, and though the green light still comes on something might have been fried.

Since I've ordered the PE4H I'll also get another mini-hdmi cable and E2C2 to see if those are at fault, and I can check if my gpu or psu are at fault (though this is unlikely). I ordered a 1m mini-hdmi cable from dealextreme before I bought your PE4L, so I'll be able to know if it was the original mini hdmi cable very soon. If I find out the PE4L is not the issue I'll decide between keeping the PE4L or PE4H.

10. Pearf

Pearf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Folks,

good news:

after a long email conversation the tech support from bplus came to the conclusion that the expresscard joint of the dongle has some problems and they will send me a new one.
    So if you still have problems, contact the support!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.