1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I already saving my money for Ivy Bridge gaming laptop. :) But I also targeting notebook with Thunderbolt. Of course using it with eGPU.

2. pen15erer

pen15erer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No I understand that now, I was just giving my full power configuration to ask if there existed a setup that would work from my graphics card. So as long as I use each 6-pin on one of +12V1, +12V2, and +12V3, I should be able to power my card, or so I've inferred. That is all. Still have code 12 though, trying to get rid of it :(

3. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    You already fixed Error Code 12 by booting with eGPU connected.

I also get Error Code 12 if didn't boot with eGPU connected. In my case & also several other notebook, e.g. Lenovo x220, BIOS automatically reduced TOLUD (and reallocate other device memory resources) to allocate 256MB PCI space for eGPU. This is not true for all notebooks though. You mention earlier that TOLUD (TOLM for i7 quad core) doesn't change (0xC8000000) whether boot with or without eGPU. I think, your BIOS reallocate other device memory resources to create 256MB PCI space for eGPU. You can confirm this by comparing device resources between boot with & without eGPU connected. You can use AIDA64 to generate the report.

4. pen15erer

Reputations:
    Thank you for the response. When I get home I'll get AIDA64 and confirm it. Even if I do confirm it though, how can I go about solving my crashing problem? I think I may try a friends power supply with my system and see if anything changes. If my eGPU is getting it's 256mb, than (other than power), what could my problem be? Could it be the fuse bypass jumper, which I still haven't done yet?

I am going to solder my fuse bypass jumpers today and I have the 2.4 PE4H kit, which has 3 fuses rather than the 2 that are in the 2.0 kit which the tutorial is over. Do I solder bypasses over all 3 fuses? Or just the two above the FDD? Thanks for all the help, I'd be nowhere without you (and some others as well).

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    That is for your information only. So that you know why you didn't get Error Code 12 when booting with eGPU connected.

I already said PSU is insufficient which explain why it crashing whenever you tried to run games or benchmarks. Unless you mod your PSU to bridge, let say +12V1 & +12V2, graphic card only draw power from +12V1 which is insufficient for any 3D job. If I'm not mistaken, I already advice you to set the fuse bypass jumper on PE4H. So, I taught you already did that. If you look at Common FAQ5 in eGPU Troubleshooting page, you'll see this:-

6. ajbutch123

ajbutch123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know that question has been asked before without any answers given... But WHY hasn't anyone made an mxm card to full length pcie x16 adapter?

my mxm type II slot is the fastest on my motherboard, and it makes perfect sense that a person might want to hook up an egpu to that slot!

I wish I was more knowledgeable about this stuff, because I would design one and have it made myself.

ANYONE?!?!?!?!

7. pen15erer

Reputations:
    So on the 2.4 system, I just have to jump the one fuse that is directly behind the floppy, not the two that are to the left of it, because there two to the left look very similar to the ones modded in Panzer's guide.

8. wrise

wrise Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now successful install the driver, no error code, but screen is lagging and when i try run the 3Dmark, laptop screen went black. Please advise.

9. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    MXM specification is controlled by Nvidia & it is not publicly available. Any company that want to get the specification must be a member of MXM-SIG group.

I can only speculate why no one made a MXM kit yet:-
    1. Don't want to pay fee to become a member of MXM-SIG group. I'm going to assume it's not cheap.
    2. Without MXM specification, the only way is to use reverse engineering method. This is likely violate MXM license since not a member of MXM-SIG group. Can get sued.
    3. MXM is for mobile graphic card. Using it with desktop graphic card is likely violate MXM license. Can get sued.

Not to forget, we also need SBIOS<sup>1</sup> support to get eGPU to work with MXM interface.

<sup>1</sup> SBIOS: system BIOS
    You don't see a jumper near the floppy power port? You don't need to do Panzer's fuse bypass mod if you have PE4H v2.4 because a jumper already available.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Are you using Verde (mobile) driver? What games did you tried? Did you confirm it is running with eGPU, not iGPU? Did you connect eGPU before windows loading?
    What is the PSU specification, especially +12V max current? GTS450 power requirement is 106W. So, +12V max current should be around 9A to 10A at least.