DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Need to switch port3 into x2 link width to see the 20% better performance. I call x2 link width using only a single lane "x1E mode". See x1E mode instructions.

Use FRAPS to measure FPS while playing.

2. skoreanime

skoreanime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A wee bit of a steer, but it's related.

Fudzilla

3. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I want to built my own DYI Vidock, but my specific laptop isn't listed. It's a Vostro 1500 very similar to XPS 1530 (which is tested). My question is will my system work with this set up?

4. jamesbond007

jamesbond007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    finally pulled the trigger and order the PE4H. I am glad to say that HWtools service was excellent. The whole process took exactly 1 day. I got the PE4H and tested it with my friends 5850 and it worked fine. I order the parts to do x2 and i know my system is capable as i have tested both the express card and mpcie and they both work. I know i can do x2 as when i plugged it in the express card was shown on port 2 and the mpcie was shown on port 1. I had the resource 12 problem but initially solved it by just having 2gb of ram. I was wondering i was going through you instructions and how do you boot the DIY ViDock Bootdisk. i can't seem to get it to run.

5. MaxMuscle

MaxMuscle Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been using my DIY ViDock for over a week, so far it has done everything I had hoped with a HD 4670! It only works with 2GB of RAM so far, could someone take a look at my memory map and see where I could reallocate memory so I can take advantage of my 4GB sticks? Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. wilse

wilse Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I'm stuck and I'd like to ask for advice/help. I'm hoping that I'm just missing something easy here.

Lenovo T410s, 4GB RAM, Intel IGP Graphics, Windows 7 64-bit
    PE4H v2.0
    ATI 5850 2GB
    Antec 550W Power Supply

Card, PE4H, and Power Supply hooked up correctly and running great - power to all components. PE4H hooked up through ExpressCard, just trying x1 right now - will do x2 through internal mini pcie when I get this working. ATI Catalyst installed.

I put the computer into "sleep" and then hook up the PE4H to ExpressCard. Wake the computer back up, Windows detects the card, the card shows in Device Manager "this device is working properly" - no error codes, no code 12. I am assuming/hoping this means I might get to bypass the pci/igp allocation business?

Anyway, here's my problem - the card is there, working fine - windows even detects my external monitors through the card, but I can't figure out how to make the machine switch over to the card as the display adapter instead of the internal IGP graphics and laptop screen! How to make the switch? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

7. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you need a WDDM 1.1 driver for your igp and might need to mess with .inf files or manually install the driver from device manager
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...851-diy-vidock-experiences-9.html#post5590209
    if you installed the "right" drivers for both cards then you will be able to choose either 5850 or igp as primary or you can use both with 'extend desktop' option. if not then you can only choose igp. rightcclick on desktop -> isplay/screen or sth like that

or temporarily install a XP driver for 5850 and disable igp

8. wilse

wilse Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got it figured out; thank you for your suggestions!

1.0 x1 link working now very well.
    Did not require PCI/IGP allocation or any kind of bootdisk. (4GB RAM)
    Original system 3DMark06 (default settings): 1720
    With 1.0 x1 ATI 5850 2GB: 12,765

Tomorrow's project will be to try to learn how to set this thing up for x2 link.
    Will run full benchmarks and make detailed post about results when I get x2 figured out.

Very happy so far just with x1 performance! :)

9. ruhtraeel

ruhtraeel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, this should be an interesting comparison, due to the surprising results of the 2GB 4870 actually being slower than the 5750. I'm getting a 1GB 5870 after Nando discovered the little benefit of the extra VRAM in his card. I'll post my results after I get mine.

My (soon to be) system:
    Dell XPS M1330
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 (2.00 Ghz)
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    Onboard: 8400M GS (1770 3dmark06)
    DIY Vidock: x2 1.0 ATI Radeon 5870 1GB
    Windows XP Pro

10. jamesbond007

jamesbond007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    great work. Awesome software. Rep +. This would definitely solve a lot of problem. Most of the software see to have worked fine for me except when i try to chain load the os. it keeps on saying the boot file not found. this is for w7 and mbr option. I wonder what could be the problem. Any suggestions. Also when i try the pci allocation part it say i have no resources to allocate. Could his mean i can't use more than 2 gb ram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.