1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. anomaloustango

anomaloustango Newbie

Reputations:
    PS. I noticed that it does have two PCIe mini slots inside. Would this be helpful?

2. msabuhere

msabuhere Newbie

Reputations:
    hi...
    i'm using lenovo g480
    Intel Core i5 (3rd Gen) 3210M / 2.5 GHz
    8 GB DDR3
    which adaptor should i use...
    EXP GDC Beast or BPlus PE4C 2.x
    and what abut ddr5 gtaphics card

3. ntronik400

ntronik400 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, i have a problem with my egpu and i would really apreciate some Help. First my setup : Hp Elitebook 8460p with an i7-2670qm, 8gb RAM, windows 7 ultimate. Egpu: pe4l 2.1b from bplus on Amazon, 600w power supply and a evga gtx580 3gb.

History: my first egpu implementation was a used pe4l from some guy on eBay, i bought a gtx660 that time, but it had problems when ExpressCard was in version 2 (it wasnt reconized) but worked perfectly in pcie 1.0. Then i sold that card and bougth a Gtx 460 1gb and worked in pcie 2.0. Maybe the 460 was less link quality demanding. Time passed and i changed the gtx460 for a Gtx 580(actual card) and bought a new Pe4l (actual one) and worked, but when I play it randomly "disconnect" the GPU, game freezes and when i close the game in task mánager and try to disconnect the egpu vía toolbar (like disconnecting a USB memory) the GPU "connects" again. My theories are: maybe its my notebook, maybe the GPU draws a lot of heat or use toó many power from pe4l (but i dont think so because it has its own pcie connectors), or maybe this adapter its broken (but its not probable that I have 2 pe4l with link problems). Some Help would be appreciated, maybe nando could help me. Thansk for all.

4. Cboolator

Cboolator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m planning to buy the new MacbookPro Retina 13” and plug in an eGPU over Thunderbolt2. The new MacbookPro is available with i5 2Core an i7 2Core. My choice is the i5.
    Could the CPU be a Bottleneck in the near Future ?

5. RustyMetall

RustyMetall Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,
    I need your support with a few specific questions.

First thing is the fact that I got a pretty old laptop Acer aspire 6920G with moded bios (cpu overclocked 2.9 gb).
    I've also bought:
    • Exp Gdc Beast adapter with expresscard plugin
    • GTX 750ti oc
    • of course setup 1.30
    On my vista 32bit there was a problem with code 12 and other errors with DSDT (blue screen).
    Nothing can be done and I came to conclusion that if I change my system to Win 7 or 8 than it might be OK (??)

SO the most important thing for me to know is if it's possible to make a double port (2+4 = expresscard + pcie )
    connection for a decent transfer.
    I'll try to move my wifi card to a different place.
    Please tell me if I'm right to split HDMI output from the adapter in to two cables for this double port connection (Setup app should merge both signals in to one?)
    I just need to know if I'm on the right track and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards

6. nexxusty

nexxusty Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all, long time lurker. Hehe.

I have an L520 and I'd like to know if it was ever effected by TOLUD @ 3.5GB. If so was it ever fixed?

Cannot find a straight answer, even better if anyone had an L520 with an eGPU setup.

I'd love to get a 750ti or a 960 for this laptop. Its got the chops to be a decent machine with an eGPU. Would kill CS among others with a decent eGPU.

Thank you in advance!