1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. fedeghela

fedeghela Newbie

Hi!! I need some explanation.
    I have a Dell Inspiron 15r and I'd like use PE4L 2.1 kit to connect it to an egpu(an amd r9 280x Sapphire vpx).
    First what and how much power is required for this ? And then,if you know;there are no more typical key indications of my laptop model? Thanks advance

2. lebob23

lebob23 Notebook Evangelist

Is a T9600 running X1E faster than a i3 370m running X1?
    The T9600 is supposed to be on full duplex 1X 2.5GBPS while the i3 370m should be on pci express x1 2.0 which should be faster or at least have a slight advantage with double the bandwidth but half duplex. Right?

3. Samanthap30

Samanthap30 Newbie

I am seriously hoping someone can help me - my partner had wanted a new gaming laptop for christmas within 300£ budget which after looking around was not going to happen the specs were appauling - we are due to build a desktop next year so it could be multipurpose.

Basically I have a Thinkpad t510 laptop with PCI Express slot - I have bought the egpu set up and the GPU is not showing up on the laptop when i plug it into the PCI slot - this means i cannot install the drivers - when i try it says compatible hardware not present - I have tried from the website and same situation no gpu found.

Current laptop setup:

Optimus capable in bios (newer t510 optimus is in bios which i believe is missing from older models)
    Intel 7 core M620 processor 2.65ghz
    Intel HD Graphics Card
    Nvidia NVS 3100M
    Not sure if my pci is 1 or 2 but irrelivant for now

I must note that recently windows copied from my newer work laptop flashed up as non genuine - i dont know if this could be part of the reason windows 7 isnt recognising it?

EGPU:

gtx 750 ti gpu
    600W desktop psu
    PE4H - Set it up as per tech radar instructions

Things I have tried:

- turning computer off putting gpu on/plugging it in and turning it back on again
    - sleep mode pushing it in turning it back on again
    - just basically hotplugging it in hope OS picks it up
    - disabling one graphics card at a time although not both since i have no drivers installed it obviously wont pick up the egpu and ill be left with no display at all
    - setting boot of pci lan to number 1 in bios - as laptop is booting says the device failed, check cable
    - changing bios settings from optimus to discreet or primary (there is no option that i can find to set it to pci slot)

There is a pci option in bios but this has a load of numbers in a row ie [11] (they actually all say 11) i dont know if this means anything.

I read that business laptops may require you to turn pci on - if this is true i seriously cannot find how!

I also read that another guy on this topic had similar issue with t510 and solved it by changing sw1 (next to where the graphics card slots into pe4h) to 2 or 3. I have tried this and the led in alighnment with where the other side of the pci card cable is plugged in goes red for a short while then green does not light up anymore / turns green.

Other thing to note is that there is a red led on gpu where the power supply would normally plug in if it were a desktop indicating that that connection is missing although does not appear it should be used in tech radar and powers up fine with the pe4h.

Cannot think of anything else I have tried but dont know where to go from here ...

4. adex1234

adex1234 Newbie

I've got some DSDT code:

Code:
                            Name (_PLD, ToPLD(
                                PLD_Revision       = 0x1,
                                PLD_IgnoreColor    = 0x1,
                                PLD_Red            = 0x0,
                                PLD_Green          = 0x0,
                                PLD_Blue           = 0x0,
                                PLD_Width          = 0x0,
                                PLD_Height         = 0x0,
                                PLD_UserVisible    = 0x0,
                                PLD_Dock           = 0x0,
                                PLD_Lid            = 0x0,
                                PLD_Panel          = "UNKNOWN",
                                PLD_VerticalPosition = "UPPER",
                                PLD_HorizontalPosition = "LEFT",
                                PLD_Shape          = "UNKNOWN",
                                PLD_GroupOrientation = 0x0,
                                PLD_GroupToken     = 0x0,
                                PLD_GroupPosition  = 0x0,
                                PLD_Bay            = 0x0,
                                PLD_Ejectable      = 0x0,
                                PLD_EjectRequired  = 0x0,
                                PLD_CabinetNumber  = 0x0,
                                PLD_CardCageNumber = 0x0,
                                PLD_Reference      = 0x0,
                                PLD_Rotation       = 0x0,
                                PLD_Order          = 0x0,
                                PLD_VerticalOffset = 0x0,
                                PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0
    							)
    )  // _PLD: Physical Location of Device
                        }

And ASL compiler throws an error:

Code:
    dsdt.dsl   7001:                             PLD_Revision       = 0x1,
    Error    6105 -  Invalid object type for reserved name ^  (_PLD: found Buffer, Package required)

I found patch: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/syntax/fix_PLD.txt

But It doesn't work with Windows DSDT Editor (illegal command).
    Any help?

Can somebody run this patch on DSDT Editor for MAC (MaciASL) on my code.
    Thaks and Merry Xmas

5. adex1234

adex1234 Newbie

I've managed to fix DSDT, but my card works only on VGA (analog). When I connect DVI/DP/HDMI notebook shuts down after 20 seconds.

6. adex1234

adex1234 Newbie

If anyone got some trouble with DSDT like 'ToPLD' or 'PLD_Revision' (DELL laptops) here is the solution:

Original one:
    Code:
    Name (_PLD, ToPLD(
           PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0)

Correct one:
    Code:
    Name (_PLD, Package() { ToPLD (
           PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0)}

7. oberonjames

oberonjames Newbie

This allowed me to fix the errors and perform the DSDT override. Thanks!

Problem is now I don't know what to else to do. I've tried a bunch of PCI Compaction options using Setup 1.x, but so far nothing has worked. I know there should be a way to do this, because there's a guy that has done it with the exact same computer I'm using (Dell Latitude XT2). He talks about it here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-g...scussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences-763.html

I can't reach him to ask him how he did it though.

Now, this does work if I take the extra RAM out, but I'd really like to be able to use all 5 gigs of RAM, otherwise I'm losing too much here. I've tried reading some of the documentation that came with Setup 1.x, but most of it I have a lot of trouble understanding because I don't know much about programming.

Anyway, any and all help would definitely be appreciated.

8. Bayman3

Bayman3 Newbie

hello all I think I have a plan to do this, perhaps someone can let me know if I'm on the right track?
    I bought a pcie 1X usb 3.0 to pcie 16X adapter from fleabay. These cards are typically used as extender/riser cards for bitcoin miners.
    The pins of the usb connector are connected like this :- pin2 - refclock+(a14), pin 3 refclock -(a13), pin 5 PETp0 (b14), pin 6 PETn0 (b15), pin7 GND (a12), pin 8 PERp0 (a16) pin 9 PERn0 (a17).
    Bracketed are connection on pci-express 1x connections.
    Using a cut down wifi card (mini pci-express) I intend to wire the usb 3.0 connector 2 - 11, 3 - 13, 5 - 33, 6 - 31 7 - 4, 9, 18, 21, 26, 27, 29, 34, 35, 50, 8 - 23 and 9 - 25 according to mini pcie pinout at pinoutsguide . com.
    Power will come from a external CD drive enclosure which has the 5v & 12v the board has a 3.3v Regulator.
    Will this work? Have I missed anything?

9. sangokudbz79

sangokudbz79 Newbie

Where do I see the Optimus "version"? Some chart saying x1 link with opt. 1.2. I want to see where they saw the famous "1.2" to see if my setup is optimal. Posting nice screenshots soon :)

10. Almatarius

Almatarius Newbie

please I have a problem and not to do.
    Buy a pe4l and gtx 760 to fit my laptop hp pavilion dm4 intel hd graphics, but when pin does not start the pc and gives video screen laptop, nor the external display.

i have windows 8.1 64 bits

Please help

11. Bravelilpyro

Bravelilpyro Newbie

New person to the DIY eGPU thread here, so mind that I'm not that well versed in this topic.

I currently own a Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, and after doing a bit of research, I found out that someone had figured out that the Ultrabay, a feature of that laptop that allows the owner to remove the disk-drive and replace it with another GPU (Doesn't work though), can be used as a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot. So I was wondering if my laptop could possibly use eGPU to use an external desktop GPU?

Has anyone tested eGPU with this laptop, or would I be one of the first to try this out?

12. ntronik400

ntronik400 Newbie

Hi, I have the PE4L egpu adapter + gtx 460 1GB with my HP EliteBook 8460p. It worked excellent with win 7 and win 8, but after updating to win 8.1 the gtx 460 appears with error code 12, i followed a lot of forums about DSDT override but nothing worked. Maybe its about to make a clean install, I will try to do it later.

If someone had this problem please help me out.

13. martin8990

martin8990 Newbie

Hello guys,
    I am having some difficulties with the exp gdc v7.0 graphics adapter.
    I managed to install the video card drivers and they seem to work properly and my system even detects the monitor that is connected to the egpu.
    But when I try to switch to the Display that is connected to my egpu my display wakes up but instead of showing my desktop it only shows a textbox with (No signal) and then goes to sleep again.
    I have read on another forum that this is the result of video cable or an insufficient power supply. But ive already tried several cables and as far as I know my power supply is quite beefy.

System:
    Windows 8.1
    Hp-ZbooK15
    Processor: Intel core i&-4700MQ
    Ram: 8gb
    Igpu:Intel HD 4600
    dgpu:Nvidia Quadro K610M
    I use the Club Radeon HD 7950 as my egpu and the corsair CX750 as my psu CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Newegg.com

14. galaksitrajahtaa

galaksitrajahtaa Newbie

Hello,

I've got Dell latitude e6420 with HD3000 and nvs4200. PE4L with swex and ec2c expresscard adapter is on the way. I felt a full size ATX PSU would be too clumsy so I acquired a Dell optiplex power adapter, which has 12V 220W max output. The plug in that adapter is a 8-pin one. It is wired as follows:

G B B B
    B Y Y Y

Where G indicates green (power on, 5V), B black (ground) and Y yellow (12V). PE4L has molex connection for its power, right? If I acquire, say, GPU that demands one 6-pin connection for power, I'll need to adapt that 8-pin connector to one molex and one 6-pin connection.

Being almost complete newbie I'd appreciate help to get the wiring right. Should I/how should I attach that swex into my setup? Please indicate any issues I haven't taken into account.

15. lebob23

lebob23 Notebook Evangelist

You are going to have significant difficulties unless you can disable the DGPU in the Bios. It would be much easier to simply get an nvidia card. I made that mistake and I am now suffering the consequences I put over 10hrs into this already http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...apter-to-double-my-gaming-performance.767398/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  16. dellxps15z

dellxps15z Newbie

Hello everyone
    I have dell xps 15z l511z with some trouble, lcd cable just below the wifi card when plugged egpu should occur on the screen does not display or blurred, have anyone stuck like this? and i can use eSATA to mSATA cable?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  17. SlickToxin

SlickToxin Newbie

I have an Acer M5 583-P-6423
    Intel® CoreTM i5-4200U processor (3 MB L3 cache, 1.60 GHz with Turbo Boost up
    to 2.60 GHz, DDR3L 1600 MHz, 15 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture, Intel®
    Smart Cache ivy bridge

My question is on the back of the laptop is a port referred to as the "Acer converter port" it is shaped like a thunderbolt and has 20 pins inside. I cant find any solid information on the bandwidth of the port and if it is in fact a thunderbolt, or mini display port. I expect it to be the MDP as there are other acer models with actual labled thunderbolt ports. Is it possible to utilize this port for an eGPU? My available ports would be USB 3.0 the Acer convertner port and the mPCIe port set up for half mini card. and an mSATA next to that...

Which ports could handle an eGPU and which would be the best performing?

18. FMruss

FMruss Notebook Evangelist

I do have 16gb and egpu works.

19. usapatriot

usapatriot Recent Grad Trying to Find His Way

Yep. I was briefly considering picking up an EXP GDC Beast external PCI-e video card dock and a 750Ti plus a power supply, but after reading after all the problems people are complaining about in this thread. I think I may just upgrade my laptop.

It seems like too much of a hassle and expense to buy something that may or may not work and even if it does work may be buggy and frustrating to deal with.