]]>

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. chung_gun

chung_gun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi, hallucinate.
    this is insufficient information, only for your supplementary reference.

i think the things below should be adjusted, i would recommend to, by just now.
    set io_win=0x1808

setpci -s 00:1c.%port% 20.l=0xF2F0F000

2. hallucinate

hallucinate Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got grub to chainload w7. it was definitely the setpci lines that was stalling it. I've narrowed it down to the last setpci line -- to allocate the additional 48M window for nvidia.

Thanks for all your help thus far! :D

3. chung_gun

Reputations:
    good..

try it again, furthermore..:D

4. hallucinate

hallucinate Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    latest memory map attached. <strike> no problems chainbooting W7 anymore, I figured out the prob in my memory space selections (chose the END not the beginning).

still, even with both a 256 and 48 megabyte window the GT240 yields a code 12. :(

could this vid card possibly require a different window configuration than others? unfortunately I don't have another to test with...

EDIT - pretty sure my 48M window is actually only 4M. still not 100% on how to set these address windows using setpci.</strike>

EDIT2 - think I got it! Will test when I get home to the ViDock rig.

Attached Files:

5. chung_gun

Reputations:
    it's been seen to me that your system didn't recognize gt 240, though 256M & 48M memmory spaces were already allocated for the port4.

i refered just now your attached screen shots, as this
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...51-diy-vidock-experiences-54.html#post6220980

0x3000-0x3fff i/o space was allocated to your port 4 by system.

so.. i recommand to apply this value to set "io_win".

set io_win=0x3030 this means to the i/o space range of 0x3000-0x3fff.

setpci -s 0:1c.3 1c.w=%io_win%

6. Fardavid

Fardavid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi!

I have read these posts and also where you started to discuss this issue but I still don't know if I can use this methid to speed up my graphics on my laptop. I'm not an expert...

I have a:
    Acer Extensa 5620
    C2D 2.00 Ghz
    Intel X3100
    2 GB RAM
    Express card

I read some problems with the integrated X3100 card, so I'm not sure if I should invest in it. Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance!

7. nowai

nowai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just bought a Lenovo T500 - will this work in x16 with the PE4H? So far I've read that it's possible, will it require connecting BOTH the expressPCcard slot AND the inside expresspci slot (i.e. PE4H-EC2C AND PE4H-PM3N)?

If this doesn't work, is there an ideal laptop to purchase for x16 connectivity (preferably lenovo t/x series or dell latitude)

Thanks in advance for the clarification. In case I keep the t500 I'll see if I can help the community out with some testing.

8. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yes.. it will work. Suggest you check what your port layout is and decide what link speed you want to use, then purchase a PM3N (mPCIe) or EC2C (expresscard) solution.

PE4H will run a x16 card at x1, x1E, x2 link peed. If the T500 is x4500MHD based T500 then the software config will be easier if hit error 12 issues.

Likely the T500 has port3=turbo memory, port4=expresscard, like the T400 shown here. So x2 would require port3+port4. Firstly, how accessible is the turbo memory slot? The port3+port4 x2 setup has one other sideffect. It sets port1 to x2 mode as well so if have two devices using port1+port2, then one will have to be physically removed for it to work.

The mPCIe port3 may also be whitelisting. The PM3N has a 6.5s reset delay jumper on it so can overcome whitelisting that halts the boot process. whitelst.bat as used for the 2510P may be require to enable the port.

I believe the T500 can be made to do x2, just requires a bit more attention. List of x2, x1E capable systems as they are discovered is added to the first post.

9. nowai

nowai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks nando!

I just got my laptop, here's an everest screenshot if it helps anyone:

[​IMG]

As you'll see, port3 seems missing. I'm assuming this is the whitelist issue you were talking about?

P.S. are there any limitations in whether I run a 32-bit or 64-bit edition of windows 7? I'm asking to help me influence my setup on this computer, I have 32 and 64 bit win7 professional, along with winxp. I'm planning to just put 64-bit win7 on here, is there any need for me to keep a 32-bit win7/xp install for vidock purposes?

10. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Looks exactly like the T400 port layout. port3=turbo memory slot, appearing when plug in the card. port4=expresscard slot. x1 1.0 is easy, x1E via expresscard not possible, x2 requiring combining turbo memory slot + expresscard slot + (likely) anti-whitelisting PCI config script. Win7/64 is the best choice to have full access to > ~3GB of RAM.