1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. xxbadboys93

xxbadboys93 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay guys, i dont have any time to read through 105 pages, i have windows 7 64 bit installed just bought it, how can i make my own diy graphic card. What do i need, are there any like kits for this besides vidock which is too much money. And would it be compatiable with my dell studio 1537?
    Thanks guys

2. xxbadboys93

Reputations:
    I want to try it through my expresscard slot.

3. Rorschach

Rorschach Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    >.> instead of reading 105 pages you should just read page #1.

4. hanming

hanming Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can someone help me out? I am try to do the DIY VIDCOK for my friend's inspiron 1525. I connected everything, the power supply, the PE4L-EC2C, the 5770, and to the laptop. When i suspended and resume, it only shows a code 28 that it cannot identify the driver. he has windows 7 64 bit. The diy vidock has all the green light on...

5. hanming

Reputations:
    It is strange that my graphic card won't even start. Is it possible that the PE4L is faulty?

6. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Full instructions of adding HD5xxx Win7 WDM 1.1 driver

<table><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>
    1. Use Device Manager to identify your HD5xxx's DID like shown for the HD4670 above.
    2. Add a HD5000 entry to \windows\inf\atiilhag.inf. Do this by replace the YYYY with your DID. HD4670 example shown. ATI's VID will always be 1002.

\windows\inf\atiilhag.inf
      Code:
      "ATI Radeon HD 4670 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)" = ati2mtag_R7X, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9490
      "ATI Radeon HD 5000 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)" = ati2mtag_R7X, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_YYYY

3. Delete \windows\inf\atiilhag.PNF if it exists
    4. Uninstall the existing ATI device in Device Manager
    5. Remove ATI's Catalyst 9.xx [it's a Vista/Win7 WDM 1.0 driver ]
    6. Restart, allow Win7 to automatically find the HD5xxxx .
    7. Report in this thread if have any success with > 2.5GB of RAM using the WDM 1.1 driver + Win7 64-bit.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

7. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    did you solder TP1 on PE4L? is the card's fan spinning at full power? it will slow down to 35% and will be quiet if it's detected/it senses that it's connected to expressport

8. hanming

Reputations:
    Thank you nando and key. It finally works. Hurahh! I can use it with full 4GB of RAM with no problem.

9. Scott1620

Scott1620 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nando, how do you find this VID and DID that your talking about? I dont have experience modding infs, so I have no idea what that means... :confused:

10. User Retired 2

Reputations:
  11. xxbadboys93

Reputations:
    So it is confirmed that the hd 4670 can run on the notebook powersupply without ANY PSU.

Can someone post a video of how they connected and set it up and also testing it on a game, it would be very helpful. Thanks

EDIT: btw do we have to solder anything?
    Mike

12. hanming

Reputations:
    I found an issue regarding the PE4L. In order for it to work, it needs to connect the molex connector to the power supply. However the 5770 that my friend ordered has a big cooling fan that will block the molex connector. So my friend exchange his 5770 to a 4850 with me that has a smaller fan. My friends thinks that the molex connector will some how break apart. So he had to do it. Now he is enjoying his 21.5'' monitor to play games :)

13. Scott1620

Scott1620 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tryed the steps you posted to mod the inf and it did the same thing that it did before with 4 gigs (error 12 on onboard nvidea card, ati card non functional)... So maybe its a dell bios issue, no idea... Maybe others will have better luck like hanming...

14. hanming

Reputations:
    Weird, even the compatibility list in vidock said that my friend's inspiron 1525 will work fine using 4GB of RAM. Now i encountered a problem. Do i need to use ATI mobility driver for the diyvidock or the normal desktop driver? I installed the desktop driver for my friend which is ATI 9.11. However, it shows that most of the information in the information center is unknown even the clock speed is unknown. Is this normal?

15. hanming

Reputations:
    Ok.. i finally convinced my friend to do the 3dmark06 for me. He has a T5850 2.16ghz cpu and the 4850 asus graphic card. The total score he got was 7281. SM 2.0 3378. SM3.0 3134 CPU 1824. Looks like his cpu bottleneck the gpu but it is much better than the intel one.

16. theneighborrkid

theneighborrkid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wondering if there has been progress on these:
    -4GB of RAM on any system with PE4H
    -Powering PE4H on notebook LCD w/ drivers for AMD chipset
    -If there is a way to get a x2 connection (or x1 2.0) on the new AMD chipset
    -Can anyone post results on Unreal Engine (UT3, Bioshock, Assassins Creed), COD4/6, Fallout 3, or similar. (Don't care for Crysis, DMC4, RES5)

I have an 8800GT and may buy a new card but I would like to know that people are getting good performance on their cards with the games above, and I might get a tablet for school (HP) and if I could, use more than 2GB RAM, power LCD with PE4H, at x2 (or x1 2.0) , and get good performance on sed games, then I'm sold. It seems like a few people have the ability to test most of my questions (my PE4H is at home, finals till 12/17 and I don't have new AMD chipset on my laptop)
    thanks guy!

17. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    UT3 + this http://downloads.guru3d.com/Unreal-Tournament-3-Benchmark-Tool-download-1816.html

texture detail 5, level detail 5,1920x1080, 16 AF set in CCC, AA set in CCC too

vCTF-suspense flyby, 90 sec
    8x SS AA - 22.54 avg fps - 0.61% over 30 FPS
    4x SS AA - 31.58 avg fps - 63.99% over 30 FPS
    2x SS AA - 45.59 avg fps - 92.09% over 30 FPS - now that's weird, it's almost the same as 0xAA
    8x MS AA - 39.18 avg fps - 87.95% over 30 FPS
    0xAA - 45.97 avg fps - 93.51% over 30 FPS

vCTF-suspense bots, 90 sec
    32 bots, 8x MS AA - 24.54 avg fps - 36.59% over 30 FPS
    16 bots, 0xAA - 40.63 avg fps - 77.64% over 30 FPS

18. invisibleman

invisibleman Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Gateway MD2614u (RS780m chipset), Windows 7 x64. My setup is a PE4L + HD 3870. Everything powers on and both LEDs light up on the PE4L. The fan on the HD 3870 seems to randomly run either fast or slow when I power on the PSU.

The issue is Win7 is not detecting anything. Everest says I have PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #1, and port #3 in use by the Ethernet and Wifi adapters, but port #247 (???) empty. I am able to get USB drive working when I have that plugged into the PE4L.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

19. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Replied with troubleshooting suggestions here.

20. growbag

growbag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Complete failure :(

Here's the setup I tried -

HP Pavilion dv6654eg laptop
    AMD 64x2 CPU
    2 gigs RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 8400mGS (built in)
    Broadcom wireless adapter in miniPCIe slot (internal)
    Expresscard slot
    AOC 22" external screen

PE4H + EC2C (expresscard adapter)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 PCIe 16x v2 896megs DDR3
    440watt power supply

I tried it under 3 different OSs -

Windows Vista - Card is detected, but it hates having the card inserted at boot time. If you do, then it keeps doing the "badump badump" sounds, as if a device is being inserted/removed rapidly. Once I figured that out, I rebooted without the Expresscard plugged in and it asked for the videocard driver. I installed the driver, and it now recognises the GTX260. Sadly the external screen still stays black and in power-off mode. The USB thumb drive IS detected, and I believe it's accessible.

Windows 7 - Detected the card as a standard VGA adapter but said it was disabled.

EDIT - I tried to install the Nvidia driver but it aborted on an error saying that the device could not be started. Win7 then hung on shutdown and after 10 minutes of waiting I powered off. This completely hosed Win7.

openSUSE 11.2 (Linux) - The card is detected through lspci, but I could NOT get it to work by adding a second device/screen/display section in xorg.conf. I'm using nvidia driver version 190.42.

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA                                                   
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M GS] (rev a1) 
    09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] (rev a1)

In all cases both lights on the PE4H light up (the front one comes on to indicate that the PE4H has power, the second rearmost light comes on when the video card is powered on by the power supply).

The fans on the card start up, and when the Expresscard is plugged in, spin up to full balst (really annoying!!).

I can also access a USB thumb drive when I plug it into the USB slot on the PE4H, so I guess at least the Expresscard and PE4H adapter are working.

The video card is brand new, and I do NOT have a desktop system to try it out in, so it could be DOA, I have no idea.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

EDIT - I decided to give Windows XP a try (seeing as Win7 was destroyed), it detected the card and allowed me to install the driver. All the time the internal screen was flashing on and off. After some fiddling, I managed to see the message in device manager "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use, Code 12". I believe this refers to the memory hole. My next step is to try to understand all the stuff about configuring PCI resources from a boot image.