DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atticus182

atticus182 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am running my GTX 560 Ti on a X220 BIOS 1.11 without problem and it is plug'n'play.

2. ElJupo

ElJupo Newbie

Reputations:
    My experiences with a Egpu and an ATI 5770 are extremly bad.
    For every game i tried i had to install a different driver to get acceptable fps.

I recommend an Nvidia Card.
    It seems that the Nvidia cards handles the limeited bandwith better..

3. Czez

Czez Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can I please get some advice on what graphics card to buy for my laptop?

I have a Vaio Z VGN-Z11XN (The old Z that came with Intel 4500MHD + 9300M GS)

Would it be possible to do an 1x Optimus setup on this laptop if I disable the 9300M GS?

4. Axeia

Axeia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Sorry for not reading all 464 pages, although I seem to have gotten most information from the very nicely written OP I do have a few questions left.

Can PhysX be offloaded to a NVIDIA card on the PE4L-EC2C? Already have an ATI Mobility 5870 in the laptop itself the performance and it's quite the beast as far as laptop graphics go. Giving it a little performance boost by being able to offload PhysX would be a nice bonus!

A "you're right" or "you're wrong" response to these assumptions made after reading the OP (and more) would be nice:
    -Using Windows 7 (64 bits) there are no issues adding a NVIDIA card to an ATI system or vice versa.
    -A large amount of VRAM could be beneficial as the card needs to swap back and forward less information if there is more room for keeping things local.

Any other info is of course also welcome! If everything goes well I'll attempt to add a GT520 to my MSI GX640 so I can hook up a 2560x1440 display.

5. danenick1212

danenick1212 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So,
    I received my HP Elitebook 8460p today and got the eGPU working on an external monitor. Optimus is enabled(18k 3dMark06) and the RE5 and DMC4 benchmarks all showed that the GTX 460 was active.
    The only problem I am having now is getting optimus to enable on the internal screen. The laptop will not boot with the eGPU connected, as I get a black screen. Even halting W7 startup with F8 and hotplugging the eGPU cause W7 to not load.

I then tried DIYVidock Setup 1.0e8 and was able to chainload into W7 to get optimus to enable using the internal screen. I don't know if I needed to do PCI compaction, but I did. After getting into W7, I noticed thing were running slower than usual, so I am thinking that just I shouldn't need PCI compaction, only initializing the GTX460 prior to loading W7. After reinstalling W7 and updating to the latest HP bios, I tried again to boot the laptop with the eGPU connected. Still, a blank screen and a no go. I tried one last thing before going the DIYViDock Setup, and that was plugging in the EC2C just after the post screen appeared on the laptop, but before W7 loaded. Low and behold, it worked. W7 booted just fine and asked for drivers to install. So in the end, all it takes it a well timed connection of the EC2C to expresscard slot to have W7 load the eGPU and engage optimus on the internal screen. *Note* If I do not need optimus on the internal screen, I can connect/disconnect the eGPU as I would any USB device once W7 is loaded and I will get full performance on an external LCD.

Now, my question is, once I chainload and initialize the GTX460, will I still need to install the virtu drivers from Lucid. I know that they are recommended, but has anyone noticed a difference?Not Needed

I will do a full gamut of benchmarks with screen shots after I get everything sorted. I am pretty sure my results will be very similar to the Dell with the i7 already on the examples

Lastly, I haven't seen anyone with an HP 8460p and eGPU yet, so if you guys need me to try anything, I should have time the next few weeks before school.

Elitebook Specs:
    Windows 7 Professional 64
    Intel Core i7-2720QM (2.20 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)
    8 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Blu-ray R/RE DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL
    14.0" diagonal LED-backlit HD+ anti-glare (1600 x 900)
    Intel® HD Graphics 3000
    160GB Intel SSD

Update 7/29/11
    I did a system format for a couple of reasons. I was running the stock HP install of W7 and it was bloated! I had well over 100 processes running with 3.08GB of physical memory used just after booting. Another reason was to reclaim the 20GB of Recovery and HP Tools partitions that, to me, are completely useless. On Monday I will continue with RE5 DX10, DMC4 DX9 and DX10, and 3dMark Vantage/11. If there are any other benchmarks you'd like to see, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do. So without further ado, here are some early benchmarks.

3dMark06 Intel
    [​IMG]
    3dmark06Intel by Danenick, on Flickr

3dMark06 Galaxy GTX460 768mb
    [​IMG]
    3dmark06NewGTX by Danenick, on Flickr

Resident Evil 5, 1280x800 Variable, GTX460 768mb
    [​IMG]
    RE5GTXDX9Variable by Danenick, on Flickr

3dMark11-all default
    [​IMG]
    http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1708309;jse...11/1708309?key=f6RJbqj2atuA0tvumJRCy9xRJFEV8R

Heaven Benchmark
    [​IMG]

I would test a GTX570, but mine went to the previous owner of the HP 8460p as part of the payment. I am really looking forward to the updated HW Tools stuff. I am planning on getting a hold of the hardware as soon as it's available so we can get this Expresscard 2.0 ball rolling. At this point, I am pretty unsatisfied with the internal LCD performance of the eGPU BUT, I know that will get a lot better with the new hardware. I mean, this laptop kills my C2Q Q9300 desktop when it comes to 3dMark06 and some other benchmarks. These new Core i7's are beasts!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  6. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    YES. There is a stack of examples + info on the first page of video cards to buy. A GTX460-1GB represents great bang-per-buck when purchased for < US$120.

Read about Hybrid PhysX: NVIDIA Removes Restriction on ATI GPUs with NVIDIA GPUs Processing PhysX | techPowerUp

A full set of benchmarks with your quad-core i7 would be appreciated. Means can have a HP in the top ten systems which atm is dominated by Lenovo. The Lucid driver is not necessary since you are running Optimus which does the same thing plus gives x1 pci-e compression.

7. danenick1212

danenick1212 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

I will try to have that Friday. Also, any pointers on maximizing the framerate on the internal LCD? I'm assuming the best bet would be to wait for the Expresscard 2.0 parts from HW Tools.

8. Xav

Xav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Bios 1.12 should work just fine as well. Bios 1.11 was chosen for downgrade coz i couldnt find 1.12 on lenovo website.

9. Czez

Czez Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks! Just wanted to verify it cause I heard some strange things about the old Vaio Z ;) I'll get into buying a GTX 460 then!

10. NewNet

NewNet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to resolve my problems (error43 and error12) and I tried this workaround:

I tried with 20,20 30,30 40,40 and 50,50 but the system freezes at startup win7 logo. This is screenshot with my startup.bat:

[​IMG]

Is it correct? Where can I see the PCI IO space unoccupied on my system?
    Bye and thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.