DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    According to your result, 3DMark06 only running on 1 core, which explain why your score is low. The other 3 cores are missing.
    [​IMG]

Please make sure in msconfig \ BOOT Advanced Options window, you didn't set "Number of processors":-
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  2. mavrik13

mavrik13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    WOW! I remember setting this when I first was setting up my laptop, as a way to improve SSD performance. Guess it didn't really help! I quickly ran PassMark on my CPU, and the score doubled (up to the level it should be). I'll rerun the 3dmark06 tomorrow morning, and post the results. Thanks again! Rep'd!

3. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    EC2C + PM3N.

I'm mainly going for the expresscard setup though so if I need two PM3N's for x2 I might just bail on that. Eventual plans are to get an optimus capable studio 15 and use an x1.opt link.

4. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Dell Studio 1555/1557/1558 PCI-e port layout:-
    • port1=WWAN
    • port2=wifi
    • port3=N/C
    • port4=expresscard
    • port5=card reader
    • port6=LAN
    You'll need 2 x PM3N cards to do x2 link. You can check in AIDA64, port3 is not available. So, to do x2 link, you'll need to use port1 & port2.

(EDIT: Anyway, you can confirm it by moving your WIFI card to another empty mini-PCIe port, then boot into Windows & check in AIDA64. If WIFI card now at port1, it confirmed the above layout.)

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    What graphic card are you going to get? I already have Optimus capable notebook to do x1.Opt, except PM3N card & Nvidia graphic card. I'm currently focusing to get x2 link working first on my Dell. I'm going to order 2 x PM3N cards next month.

6. ricera10

ricera10 Newbie

Reputations:
    Could anybody help me with getting my GTX 570 to accelerate programs on my laptop display? I've installed the latest Verde drivers and the modded inf, and at least in the control panel Optimus is detected.

EDIT: At default settings, I get P3640 for 3dmark11 and ~12.1k in 3dmark06. Comparing to the table in the 1st post, Optimus might not be working correctly?

7. narcoticx2

Reputations:
    I have a GTX460 768MB in my desktop, and so i'm going to use that.

Also for the 1555 the port layout may be different based on this post. Will let you know though, as it was a little unclear how the x2 setup would go from there...

Also (going back a long way) nando4 posted this in response to my query when i was first going for a diy vidock.

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Based on notebookcheck review website, Dell Studio 1555 have 3 mini-PCIe ports available. The one which WIFI current occupied is confirmed port2 (Broadcom BCM4310 USB Controller). I'm guessing the WWAN is port1 & the other one is port3. But the best way is for you to check it yourself. Use the WIFI card to know port number assignment for each of the mini-PCIe ports.

There is an attempt in the past to get x2 working on Dell Studio 1555. Last news is at post #305. Result at post #311 only show x1 link setup.

9. furythree

furythree Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    have they released any vidock parts for usb 3? i dont think we'll see many thunderbolt (affordable ones) systems anytime soon
    and unless it can be done with the new MBA released yesterday. usb3 would technically be faster than mpcie no?

10. narcoticx2

Reputations:
    Early results...

Studio 1555, P8700 2.53GHz, 4GB ram
    External GTX460 768MB via EC at x1 link speed
    3dmark06 5102

About what was expected, going to try get higher though i'm pretty happy with performance in games (the synthetic benchmark doesn't really reflect the improvement you see on screen) as i'm playing at 1080p now with excellent fps, the occasional jitter when loading to the gfx card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.