DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Czez

Czez Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have one of the first Vaio Z models (VGN-Z11XN). Will a DIY Vidock with optimus drivers for the internal monitor cloning feature work with my notebook?

Anyone has experience with this?

2. Gil3

Gil3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This laptop:
    Acer 5742G

In the list of tested laptops and I can buy it (my budget)

I have a question.
    What does it mean - HM55 mPCIe?
    I'll have to open the laptop to connect the video card with the adapter?

If not then is the adapter PE4L Will fit to this laptop Or not?
    If not then what adapter should I buy instead of the PE4L?

I did not see this laptop has been tested with NVIDIA GTX video card.
    Is the Optimus performance tweak will work for me (with GTX 460)?

Thanks a lot

3. mangos47

mangos47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    many thanks!

I'll try the two methods you mentioned. just 1 thing not very clear to me. when you mention "make sure your port 2 is disabled", do you mean disable it in the setup program but still has the expresscard adaptor connected to PE4H?

4. mangos47

Reputations:
    the connector in the laptop end is either EC2C (to plug into expresscard slot if the laptop has one) or PM3N (to plug into mini pcie slot inside the laptop which in most cases involving opening up the back cover). PE4L or PE4H is the other end which host the external graphics card. then you need a cable (mini HDMI 1.3) to connect in between.

as of Optimus tweak it requires a intel 4500MHD or HD or HD 3000 integrated graphics if I understood it correctly so you need to check if this laptop is equipped with one of those.

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    HM55 is the chipset use in this notebook. mPCIe/mini-PCIe/mini-PCI Express is PCI Express port use in notebooks. These are several pictures of the mini-PCIe port:-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is one in action; mini-HDMI connected to PM3N card:-
    [​IMG]

If using mini-PCIe port, you'll need to open the HDD, RAM & WIFI compartment. For example:-
    [​IMG]
    Port labeled with WWAN & another on the left of WWAN are mini-PCIe ports:-
    [​IMG]

You can't put PE4L/PE4H in the notebook. You'll need to use mini-HDMI to mini-HDMI cable to connect between your notebook (ExpressCard or mini-PCIe) & the PE4L/PE4H board. Please look mine for example. I use ExpressCard:-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Acer Aspire 5742G doesn't support Optimus setup. For Optimus setup, notebook must have Intel 4500MHD, Intel HD Graphics or Intel HD 3000. In the first post, look for "@x1.Opt". See if any one of them is in your budget.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  6. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For example, when port 1 and 2 are set to work as an x2 port, port 2 can also be set to operate as an x1 port, which will cause a BSOD when you try to load windows since the port can't do both. My bios will enable port 2 in x1 mode after a reboot into x2, so I have to go disable it.

7. Rykoshet

Rykoshet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So...since Expresscard 2.0 was released a year ago...I haven't heard anything about it. I have a full-sized EC slot on my latitude and was wondering if there was any way I could put an EC 2.0 module in there...I'm ready to try out an eGPU.

8. mangos47

Reputations:
    thanks!

I just tried with the first method, but still fails. here's what I did:
    1. power on laptop with PM3N and EC2C plugged in but only EC2C connect to PE4H (2nd port), and PE4H stays off.
    2. enter setup program, it prompts to power on ViDock so I power on PE4H.
    3. inside setup program, set port 1 to x2 mode.
    4. connect PM3N to PE4H(1st port), F5. now the setup program detected the external GPU and it shows up as on port1 in x2 mode.
    5. PCI compaction.
    6. chainload W7 then got BSOD:

*** STOP: 0x0000005C (0x0000000000003000,0x0000000000000001,0x0000000000000008,0x0000000000000000)

after reboot (disconnect PE4H from laptop) I found port 1 and port2 are in x1 mode again.

I then tried choose x1e instead of x2 in step 3 above, but got the same BSOD.

the compaction mode I choose is default one (bridge). not sure if I shall choose 32bit or 36bit instead. or maybe skip compaction?

anyway, the good news (hopefully) is that I tried your 2nd recommended method and it seems to have worked. I did as you mentioned, first set to x2 with lane1 disconnected, then reboot (I'm guessing this is to allow the laptop to reallocate resource during boot up instead of using pcie compaction?). After reboot and entering the setup program, port2 was enabled again though port1 is shown as in x2 mode. so I disable port2 and chainload W7, ignoring the warning that ask me to do pcie compaction. I entered W7 successfully and driver and everything showed up ok in device manager. Everest shows GTX460 is on port1 is in x2 mode.

I'm running benchmark to see whether there's performance improvement as it should.

many thanks again Guru!

9. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok well my stuff just arrived so hopefully will soon have some results for a Studio 1555. Ordered enough to try EC + mPCIe x2 link so no doubt will be coming here for some help :)

10. mbrongges

mbrongges Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your help, my LAN adapter is work. But my benchmark score no increase, is there any solution for it? help me sir..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.