1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Jumboss

Jumboss Notebook Enthusiast

thank you
    i try this old card only for test
    if i buy new card it will be work? i want buy msi gtx560ti 2gb

2. ajbutch123

ajbutch123 Notebook Consultant

That does sound like the direction I should take. However, I can't do that right away. Would the kit here be able to function the same as the one you linked to?
    As it is now I might just buy that one anyway and then use it with my current system until I can upgrade a month or two down the line when I am in a position to consider ditching the acer.

I REALLY like the Idea of using the internal display and being able to be a bit more portable if absolutely necessary.

can someone recommend me a reliable laptop on the cheaper side that would support those features? Also I need something with a really good cooling system.

Thanks for the help so far!

*edit* it sure would be nice if someone came up with a way to plug directly into my acer's mxm type II card slot and run a eGPU off of that. The only downside is I would use a lot of thermal paste if I had to go on the road every couple of days.:D Still worth it though because that's the fastest slot on this motherboard.

I guess its time to let the old hardware go *sniff* they don't make them like they did back in '08:( but here is to the as6920g, most reliable laptop I have owned!

3. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

For some reasons i'm curious about this mod to drive PE4H by 12V jack powering :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/7912207-post5613.html

Is the yellow 12V molex cable (+ ground black) enough to completely supply the 75W of the pci-e port ?

Pci-e specs are 75W (3.3V/3A + 12V/5.5A). So i wonder if in this mod we lost the 3,3V/3A to totalize 75W. I don't know if the PE4H uses the 5V of the floppy connector and regulates it to supply 3,3V to the pci-e port.

Also, i'm not sure that DC 19V on the new PE4L 2.1 is a good choice ? It does prevent to use light < 120W gpu by jack powering like the ones i saw with GTS 450 and HD 5750, doesn't it ?

4. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Also i'm trying to make a strong setup by jack powering only, i'd like to go for this kind of powerfull AC DC adapter 12V 192W :

192W Netzteil / power supply for picoPSU, mini-ITX | eBay

Then i will mod/split the P4 connector supplied with the adapter to two molex connectors (one black and one yellow 12V cable for each one). Then first molex will be split to one floppy connector (for the PE4H) and molex (for pci-e connector via adapter). Second one will go to pci-e connectors of the gpu via adapters.

Is this fanless setup seems viable to you or i'm missing something ?

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

That mod converts a DC jack to a molex so can then plug it into the floppy 12V molex jack using a floppy-molex adapter. A PE4H does it's own 12V to 3.3V/3A so can satisfy the 3.3V/10A (max) rail without auxilery 5V or 3.3V input.

The "DC 19V" statement on the PE4L 2.1 page is a mistake. I figure they copy and pasted info from a PE4H and buggered it up as they were on their way out the door to celebrate the Water Dragon Chinese New Year holiday.

The only regulator on the PE4L 2.1 is a AME1085 (a 5V to 3.3V voltage regulator) as confirmd by the 1-19 Masaharu update:
    So if you use a 12V DC input only on a PE4L 2.1 then you'd technically need to plug the USB lead into a USB port to meet the 3.3V/3A max requirement of a pci-e slot. if you are supply 12V with 5V via say an ATX PSU then you don't need to plug in the USB cable.

Worth noting that quite a few prior implementations have been running a eGPU using only 12V DC input (no 5V) so draw only from the expresscard slot's 3.3V/1.3A. So we can say that many video cards have considerably lower 3.3V real-world input power requirements than the 3.3V/3A pci-e spec maximum.

6. stackerrz

stackerrz Newbie

Hi guys, first I'd like to say great work on figuring this out and helping everybody.

I bought a PE4H last month along with the optional AC power adapter from this site: http://www.harmonicinversion.com/pr...details&flypage=&product_id=191&category_id=1
    I have an ATI Radeon HD5670 that I was using with it, which only draws power from the pcie slot, so I have no power supply hooked up. It was working perfectly fine until yesterday. When working normally, the PE4H had 3 green lights on it.

Yesterday, after about 30 minutes of use or so, the entire eGPU system just shut off and my GPU's fan stopped spinning. I unplugged it all and let it sit for a while and tried it again, no luck. I removed the GPU from the slot and tested to see what lights came on if I just powered the PE4H. When I plugged the adapter in I got one green light, but it also seemed to be making a whining sound from where the adapter connects to the card. I then tried it again with the GPU and all I got was a faintly blinking light on the PE4H, and no activity on the GPU.

I have two questions: 1) is it normal for the card to make a whining sound when used with the power adapter (normally I would just assume no, but I am not sure if I remember it making that sound during past use or not). 2)Do you think the problem is that the PE4H is bad, or the GPU died?

I am assuming it is a problem with the GPU, but I don't like the whining sound it is making either...

7. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

You probably blew out the 12V converter. It's only rated for 36W and that card draws 61W from the slot. Only by using the floppy connector can you fully power the PCI-E slot to the full 75W spec.

8. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

It's written 15-20V/4,5A on my PE4H but you're probably right the 12V converter has probably fried. Voltage converters on small PCBs seem to be tricky when highly loaded for a long time.

I was reading 12V picopsu manual and they specify that as soon as the 3,3V and 5V lines are higly loaded, it requires ventilation. Same kind of matter.

Thank you for your response Nando. You're right about the PE4L 2.1 it necessarily has 12V DC on board. It would fry with a 19V DC input.

As for the 192W AC DC adapter i think i will rather go for this small fortron flex atx psu :

New Flex ATX 1U 250W PSU power supply (mini ITX) | eBay

It is 80+ and has 17A on the 12V line. Should be sufficient to drive a GTX 560 ti without OCing. In addition, fortron psus are deemed for being pretty silent.

I will put that with the gpu in a pretty small plexiglass enclosure i think.

9. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

alright so I finally hit a game that my setup has hard time running at 1024x768 due to graphics (Oblivion), so I thought I'd pop up here to see what can be done :)

I got ExpressCard 1 - 54mm slot, ICH8M chipset, 4GB RAM of which I use only 3 due to XP Pro 32bit OS, nVidia 140m that I run overclocked by 55% that has 128MB dedicated memory and uses 512MB total for video memory.

with my old CPU (T7500) I had 3DMark06 score of 2400 or so. With the current T9500 I can not run the test for some error that pops up, but I assume it would be more than that but not by much.

I think I got some 150W desktop PS around here somewhere, and I'm using external monitor.

here's my PCI memory map

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1650/pcimemorybus.jpg

so what can I do with this thing, and would it be worth doing at all ?

thanks

P.S. I got ExpressCard SATA card in the slot right now so that would be out obviously.

EDIT: I think there's that advanced dock that I can buy for my T61 that has PCIe slot in it but I dont know if that would be better way to go.

10. stackerrz

stackerrz Newbie

Thanks for the response. That makes more sense than anything else I could come up with. So just to clarify, the GPU should be salvageable, but the PE4H needs replacement and an additional psu if I still want an egpu?

11. User Retired 2

Yes. You could stil run a 12V AC adapter in via the floppy molex lead by attaching a 5.5 x 2.1mm CCTV DC Power Female Jack Connectors (10-Pack) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme to a molex ended cable. This would be your DC-to-molex lead. Using the floppy molex bypasses the 15~19V to 12V voltage regulator.

Could even use a higher power 120W adapter via a 1-to-2 Power Splitter Cable for CCTV Security System Camera (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme to drive a GTX550Ti/GTS450. Would need a second DC-to-molex lead to which you could attach a molex-to-pci-e lead going to the pci-e power on the video card.

12. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Those DC splitter are interesting. I saw them a few days ago. I wonder though if they're meant to carry high current. A seller on ebay seemed to mean that those CCTV power cables were fused to 12V/2A max.

But maybe i misunderstood. It should probably work.

13. User Retired 2

Good point.

EDIT: a 1-4 CCTV DC splitter uses 24AWG (3.5A/42W) + 26AWG cable (2.2A/26W) so indeed that cable is underspecced for the level of power we require.

14. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

It was too simple to be true ;)

Also I've been looking for some sort of AC power adapter with two barrel type outputs like the one included in the vidock 4 package.

Villagetronic ViDock4 Plus Product Review

Never been able to find one.

15. User Retired 2

Villagetronic users: pls photo the product label on your 150W AC adapter

There's a couple of Villagetronic users that visit this thread. If you are one and have a 150W ViDock4 or 225 ViDock4+ (150W+75W), then can you please take a detailed photo of the top cover of the AC adapter. We'd like to see who makes it so could source it for those users that want the DC jack to be able to power between the two outputs.

It would be easy to then use a 5.5 x 2.1mm CCTV DC Power Male Jack Connector (10-Pack) to create a DC-jack-to-molex adapter for mating back to the floppy molex PE4L/PE4H and/or pci-e power connectors on the video card.

16. ajbutch123

ajbutch123 Notebook Consultant

Quick question.

If I was able to obtain a usb 3.0 external expresscard 54 slot would I be able to use that with an eGPU? The speed is as fast as a expresscard 2.0 anyway, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

If so, does anyone know a company who makes a usb 3.0 external expresscard 54 slot?

*edit* oops, sorry for this post. I just found nando4's post here about the usb 3.0 interface. Any idea when it will be available?

17. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

USB3 to ExpressCard only have USB connection. It missing PCIe connection which is required for eGPU to work. Unless someone rewriting the drivers, it will not work.

18. Lachie3112

Lachie3112 Notebook Enthusiast

Hello,
    Well today my pe4h arrived and I am having some issues.

First off if I boot computer, sleep and plug in egpu (power on) and resume I loose all functionality of any USB devices. In GPU-Z it shows as DDR2 and no VRAM
    Then after playing around in setup 1x I try to boot and now have no soundcard or wifi card?
    So as you can tell I am having some issues. I tried pci-e compaction at 36bit on egpu but did not force it to 32 bit. That showed I had 256mb free. But when I chainload mbr it totally goes spastic and says my internal screen has a resolution lower than 600px and in a high contrast mode. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I also tried booting with egpu on and it stays on a black screen for ages then also reverts to less than 600px on internal screen in high contrast.

Also trying to boot normally and I still have no wifi or soundcard even though I haven't touched them

Specs:
    Dell inspiron 1545
    C2D T9400 @2.53ghz
    4GB RAM
    dgpu ati mobility radeon hd 4330
    PE4H 2.4
    PSU Corsair CX-430
    egpu Gigabyte Radeon HD 4890 1GB DDR5

One other question; Do I have to have the egpu plugged in to my monitor or my laptop plugged into my monitor?

19. Fardavid

Fardavid Notebook Consultant

Nando4,
    Will you receive a sample of PE4L v2.1 before 20th of February? I hope yes, and we can have a real test from you before we order it. :)

20. SimoxTav

SimoxTav Notebook Evangelist

I don't think the performances will differ from the already released tests (at least if bPlus hasn't found problems on the cable). Anyway would be nice to have further photos of the kit ^^