1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Azzzes

Azzzes Notebook Enthusiast

If I have luck, I maybe can run my GTX 590 and my GTX 560 Direct CU in SLI mode.
    But I dont think so because GTX 590 is a dual GPU-Card and GTX 560 is only a one GPU Card.

2. kallitokaco

kallitokaco Newbie

Yes without BSOD at all, if I manage to get through the login. Yes it could be, right now(my egpu was "hot") I restartet my notebook twice without waiting and without BSOD. But cold-boot is not equal to the first boot, the second and futher boot attampts can fail too.

And sorry I forgot to mention a thing...
    At the moment, my external montior(via egpu) is the default screen and the internal LCD is off.

But first time I used the eGPU my internal LCD was the default screen and I was always able to login without BSOD, but my laptop received a BSOD while starting a 3D game or something eGPU powered(, but after few BSOD's & statups I was able to play).

Maybe my eGPU needs to be "hot" to calculate. Do you know a solution?

3. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

So I got a 580 today. Here are some benchmarks at 1000/4800. Yes I got 1ghz, but it took much more voltage than I would have liked (1.25675V). The card seems to overclock a bit below average, but it isn't terrible. I could clock it a bit higher, but I am concerned about my PSU, so I'm going to get a new PSU first before I go higher. Hopefully the PSU is the reason behind the relatively poor overclocking.

3dm11: 6226
    3dmv: 21205
    3dm06: 22062
    RE5: 157.8
    DMC4S4: 149.8
    Heaven: 1696
    FF14 1080P: 5219

4. Jumboss

Jumboss Notebook Enthusiast

here it is: jumboss DIAG.zip

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

HP 8540P has a motherboard resource preventing access to contiguous pci-e space

The problem like we discovered with a few other systems is that you have a unmovable Motherboard resource sitting right in the middle of your D0000000 range:
    Code:
    ACPI\PNP0C02\1
        Name: Motherboard resources
        Device has the following resources reserved:
            MEM : fed1c000-fed1ffff
            MEM : fed10000-fed13fff
            MEM : fed1b000-fed1bfff
            MEM : fed19000-fed19fff
    [B][COLOR="Red"]        MEM : d7600000-d7600fff[/COLOR][/B]
            MEM : e0000000-efffffff
            MEM : fed20000-fed3ffff
            MEM : fed90000-fed93fff
            MEM : fed45000-fed8ffff
            MEM : fec00000-fec00fff
    Meaning you cannot have a contiguous 32-bit 256MB pci-e config space block no matter what pci-e compaction is performed. So the GeForce 7900 GT/GTO eGPU you are attaching which requires such a block will not work while you have 3GB or more RAM installed in your system. You have TOLUD=3GB. It would however work with 2GB RAM installed.

The solution is to get a newer NVidia Fermi video card (GTX460, GTX560Ti, etc) that uses fragmented 128MB+64MB+32MB PCI BARs instead so can be allocated around this Motherboard resource.

It might well be worth you logging a support case with HP on this issue as it effectively means the expresscard slot is limited to devices using a 128MB BAR or less. ATiAMD eGPUs cannot be used due to their 256MB PCI BAR requirement. Not that I'd recommend one given the superior x1.Opt performance you'd get with a NVidia Fermi. See Request to fix TOLUD in newer BIOS files - Lenovo Community for an example of how to deal with vendors with such issues. The HP bios programmer would just need to move that device to F7xxxxxx instead allowing the D0000000 range to then be 'compacted' into a 256MB contiguous space.

6. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

cold-boot = power ON computer from OFF state

When it boot with internal LCD OFF & external monitor is primary, can you turn on your internal LCD & play games on it using eGPU processing power (Optimus)? What happen if external monitor is not connected prior booting?

I believed your PSU is to be blame here. It might take time to warm-up hence the BSOD while login. What is the PSU specification (+12V max current)? Or if you don't know, give me the PSU model name.

7. kevmanw4301

kevmanw4301 Notebook Deity

Looking forward to sharing my experiences of my new Dell E6220 + PE4H and 460GTX. :)

8. User Retired 2

You will be the first E6220 DIY eGPU implementation. A better machine allround than the Vostro V131 you shortlisted earlier so congratulations on an excellent purchase.

Would advise also purchasing a PE4L 2.1 instead of a PE4H 2.4 as it gets you double the bandwidth (pci-e 2.0's 5GT/s versus pci-e 1.1 2.5GT/s). The pci-e 2.0 capable PE4H 3.0 has yet to be released.

9. kevmanw4301

Dang. I did not realize that. I found a deal on one for $45 on eBay and figured I'd grab it. Think I should cancel and grab a PE4L, or can I get similar bandwidth by some other means?

10. User Retired 2

I'd cancel and grab a PE4L 2.1. No way of getting pci-e 2.0 speed from a PE4L 1.5 or a PE4H 2.4. Need either a PE4L 2.1, wait for a PE4H 3.0 or get a US$304-shipped ViDock4+.

EDIT: you'll need to request an engineering sample of the PE4L 2.1 from BPlus since they're not listing them as yet.

11. kevmanw4301

Okay, will do. I wan't the best performance, so thats that I'll go for.

12. SimoxTav

SimoxTav Notebook Evangelist

13. kallitokaco

kallitokaco Newbie

If I boot with internal LCD OFF (BIOS and so on appears on it but the loginscreen don't) & there external monitor is primary AND I was able to login without a BSOD, then I'll be able to turn on the internal LCD and play games on it as well as extending one montor with the internal and play on the primary.
    If I don't connect the external monitor I am not able to open the nvidia control panel for a while and I'll get a bluescreen if I play 3D games, but If I wait until I'm able to open the control panel, I can play 3D games.

I attached a picture of the label of the PSU. Yes 12V. Btw. I used both GPU powersockets with diffenent wiring looms.

Attached Files:

• PSU.JPG
      PSU.JPG
      File size:
      383.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Fardavid

Fardavid Notebook Consultant

I will wait for the first tests and I think I will also go for a PE4L 2.1...

15. neojjjk

neojjjk Notebook Enthusiast

Hi,
    1) is it possible to add my sound card to laptop by using this methods .I have a MMC/SD/MS-CARD SLOT
    2)Does it require external power supply ?

16. Star Forge

Star Forge Quaggan's Creed Redux!

I don't think so. Those slots are only designed for low bandwidth (throughput) flash memory. The best SD Card right now can only achieve 95 MB/Sec.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4G using Tapatalk

17. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

1. Yes, you can but like graphic card, you need to use either mPCIe port or ExpressCard slot. You can't use MMC/card reader.

2. You can use AC adapter for sound card I think but definitely no need desktop PSU.

18. chrisleon32

chrisleon32 Newbie

So I have connected the egpu to my expresscard slot after booting and my device manager reports that there is a problem. Any fix for this?

Edit- so I installed the latest DESKTOP nvidia drivers for the gtx460 and now I am getting this error message:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Edit- nvm I think I have everything working.

Attached Files:

19. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

20. Mjolner

Mjolner Notebook Evangelist