1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    1. Please put back all RAM - 6GB RAM, & then, do 32-bit PCI compaction.

2. You need to do PCI compaction on every cold boot. You should concentrate on 32-bit PCI compaction, try all options, including "All device".

3. The words "... successful compaction ..." means when you get largest_free=256MB with total memory installed, which in your case 6GB RAM. You're nowhere near "... successful compaction ..." yet.

2. w00tsite

w00tsite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    2) Tried it again with every option and all I got was no solution found. Why would I get it that once and now not be able to get it again on a cold boot?

3) So what you are saying is that I need to NOT get "No solution found" with my eGPU and 6 GB installed. If I only get no solution, are there no solutions for me?

Also, I pulled open my case and it seems there is two open mPCI slots. One has a port soldered to it, the other just has a space for a port to be solder to it. I have attached a photo.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/205/imag0156u.jpg/

3. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Any setting you did using Setup 1.x are not permanent. Your notebook configuration will reset to factory settings whenever you turn off/shutdown your notebook. That's why you need to repeat PCI compaction on every cold boot.

2. According to your previous posts, you only do 32-bit PCI compaction on "dGPU eGPU". If you really already tried all options in 32-bit PCI compaction but still failed (no solution found), next you can try 32-bitA PCI compaction. I want to confirm again, are you sure you created devcon.txt file? You should see devcon.txt file in V:\CONFIG folder.

3. The "FAQ: "Even after successful compaction I still get a error 12: cannot allocate resources in Device Manager"" is for anyone with successful compaction (largest_free=256MB) but still get Error 12 in Device Manager. You haven't got successful compaction with 6GB RAM yet, so this solution is not for you.

To solved the 6GB RAM issue, it all depends on successful PCI compaction. If 32-bitA PCI compaction also failed, please run "Save diags" in Setup 1.x & post the diagnostic dump here. How to get diagnostic dump is explained in Setup 1.x page.

4. SiriusVI

SiriusVI Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey,

this thread contains so much information, but I cannot find an answer for my simple questions. The basics, so to speak:

1. Is it possible to plug an eGPU to an XPS 10 (L702x) Model? (It doesn't have an express crad slot, is that a problem?)
    2. What pieces of hardware do I need to buy? Do I also need an extra cooler for the eGPU?
    3. Do I need an external monitor or can I still use my internal one?
    4. When using my internal one, can I still watch 3d movies and play games in 3d?

The main problem I have is that I don't know if the XPS 17 has the right slots. I think I read at some point that it is possible, but I don't know. As you see, I'm a technical noob, so I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks,
    SiriusVI

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Hi,

On Dell XPS 17 (L702x), mPCIe port(s) is/are not easily accessible. The mPCIe port(s) might be located under the keyboard. The only way to get eGPU working on this notebook is by using one of the mPCIe port. If they not accessible, you won't be able to setup eGPU without dismantling your notebook.

2. PE4L/PE4H & PM3N.

3. You can't use internal monitor because Optimus setup is not possible on this notebook. This notebook lack of Intel HD 3000.

4. See no. 3^^

6. Mech0z

Mech0z Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wonder how good the new HD78xx/HD79xx will be with pcie 2.0, remours suggest they are very damn powerful and hopefully they are also pretty cheap :)

7. useafo

useafo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey again,

I'm having a problem with the hot plug thing, it seems that it doesn't work for me, what should I do to make it work?

8. rush_art

rush_art Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks kizwan for the input. Yes, I understand that x1 might not be enough for smooth gameplay at max settings. However, is there a way to fix the video lagging problem, like something I missed/forgot to do? I plugged the eGPU in, Win detects it, install driver, done; haven't done anything else other than that. I wonder what could be the cause.

9. w00tsite

w00tsite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here is my DIAG.txt: Diag.txt - Pastebin.com

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Your notebook BIOS is buggy. Any devices connected to ExpressCard slot should hotplugable. If not, there is only one reason, bug in the BIOS.

I want to check something. Please install HWiNFO32/64. In HWiNFO32/64, go to BUS \ "PCI Bus #0" & select "..... - PCI Express Root Port #?" (the #? is ExpressCard PCIe port number). Take two screenshots; one without eGPU connected & one with eGPU connected. Post screenshots here.
    The video lag happen not because you missed/forgot steps. I have ATI graphic card & I didn't experienced it. In the past, there are several complain by Nvidia user regarding the video lag. You might want to check your codec. If possible, reset codec settings.
    Please post the "DIAG" folder too. We need everything in the "DIAG" folder.

11. Slagatron Prime

Slagatron Prime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I bought a HP 6460B a while ago when Nando posted them on the SB candidate notebook list. It's a great notebook and I love it to death, the HD 3000 actually run older games like a heavily modded Oblivion very well with some newer Intel drivers, but i'm obviously extremely eager to get my hands on those new 2.0 adapters to BE RELEASED BY HWTOOLS. Ahem. Anywho, I asked earlier and people didn't think this laptop would pose a TOLUD issue, as many other HP series have not...but...I think this may mean trouble. Can someone tell me what my TOLUD is? There are obviously more values in the device manager, but that was the first one with a first entry with just one letter and 8 total digits. I really hope this doesn't mean I can't do what I've been planning. Thanks.[​IMG]

12. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    The lowest memory address I see in the screenshot is BFA00000 which means TOLUD is 3GB. As long as TOLUD is equal or lower than 3.25GB, you don't have to worry. You can use 4GB++ of RAM with eGPU.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  13. Slagatron Prime

Slagatron Prime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    WHEW! There are others that begin with A, so I think I'm under 3gb. I thought I might have had to look only at the one with all 0's and one letter. I have never been so glad to have been wrong. Thank you so much Kizwan, your responses are always helpful and super speedy. There are a lot of people in this thread that owe their working systems to you, so thank you.

14. AP27

AP27 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wondering if anyone can help me with the standby-trick on my X220. Previously someone suggested removing Lenovo Power Manager but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Heres what I've tried: (nVidia drivers are installed and my eGPU currently works)
    -Power off x220.
    -Plug in eGPU and turn on its power supply.
    -Power on x220, load up windows. Everything works. eGPU is powered on and currently displaying on my 24inch monitor.
    (This may be where I'm doing something wrong, or have some setting misconfigured)
    -Standby system
    -Unplug expresscard adapter from slot
    -Resume system
    (Screen stays blank. No response. After a while it reboots and goes to the 'Windows did not shut down properly' screen. Works fine after starting up windows. eGPU is disconnected and i'm running on my HD3000)
    -Standby system again
    -Plug in eGPU expresscard into slot
    -Resume system
    (Power button glows for about 3-4 seconds, then the laptop shuts off. I power it on again, loads up windows and upon reaching the windows screen it moves to my monitor. eGPU is working)

Any thoughts?

15. useafo

useafo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One more thing, when I about to run 3dmark 06, it goes BSOD and the eGPU fan spins fast, how does that happen and how to solve it?

16. thendless

thendless Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, recently got back into the eGPU hobby after I purchased an x220 a few months back. I just purchased my new video card last week so now it is finally complete.

My specs are:
    Lenovo x220 i7-2620, 8GB RAM
    PE4L
    eGPU: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC @ x1.1 Opt
    Xbox 360 203W Power Supply
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

My benchmarks are using the default settings. Results are:
    Internal Results:
    3DMark06 - 12306
    3DVantage - Would not work due to 1280x1024 min resolution requirement
    3DMark11 - 3350

External Results:
    3DMark06 - 18096
    3DVantage GPU Score - 14659
    3DMark11 - 4063

Hopefully bplus comes out with the upgraded PE4L soon... can't wait for the pci e 2.0 speeds!

17. aodioxp

aodioxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    Finally received my card and PE4L. Followed instructions and managed to play once. However, I forgot to turn on the power of GFX before start my lenovo T420(igpu, 8G ram, win7 64bit), so I sleep it, turn the power on and cannot wake it up. Loops over and over cannot get past Bios.
    So I turned the laptop off (press the power button all the time till stop looping)
    And start the windows again. This time, it did not switch to external monitor. My Gtx560 ti is detected but system is still using HD3000. Cannot open Nvidia control panel, generates error log:
    named WER32C.tmp.appcompat.txt

WEI score with HD3000: 5.7
    with eGPU working properly: 7.8
    now:3.2

whats happening...

Here is a screen shot of the error

[​IMG]

Please help~ Thanks

18. SoftReaper

SoftReaper Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    have you installed eGPU setup1.x?

19. x800pro

x800pro Newbie

Reputations:
    I need your help. I'm using a Dell Latitude E4300 with 4GB (Win7 64bit & Avlan's DSDT Hack). I have the problem of a dropping frame rate. From very smooth to unplayable...!

My Setup:
    • PE4H-EC2C
    • Dell DA2 12V Power Supply (It provides only 12V, the 5V are missing)
    • 2m mHDMI cable (i don't have a shorter one, for test)
    • Gainward Geforce GTX550 TI

I've tested so far Counterstrike Source, Portal, Killing Floor and the R5 Benchmark. I've played the most time CSS. Now it doesn't matter what graphics i change. Always the same Problem, internal & external. With 800x600 pixels or with 1680x1050.

Here my Benchmarks:

First try internal lcd:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then on an external lcd (resolution 1280x800):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The second started directly after the first one. There is the difference...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

In Counterstrike:
    [​IMG]
    I'm starting with 60-80 fps then they drop, then they are raising to 50, then they drop and so on.

So does someone know where the problem could be?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

The Geforce audio is disabled, i also removed my wwan card. I disabled the wifi card. I'm not using a bootable bootstick with Setup 1.x and i'm on bios version A13. Hot-Plug works without any problems (i have to disable the geforce in the device manager before removing it).

20. aodioxp

aodioxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No. Since I don't have dGPU I did not do setup1.x. It worked once, but now failed...I must have done sth wrong and maybe mess up with the .exe file?