1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. useafo

useafo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My psu power is 600W 12V/26A, it is enough to run the graphics card. 12*26=312, I'll ry to do the fuse jumper later and let you know soon.

2. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Yes, that is what the PSU claimed able to supply but I doubt it though, looking at the problem you're experiencing.

EDIT: Please test both PSU & the GTX460 SE on a desktop computer. Run GPU stress test, e.g. OCCT or Furmark for 30 minutes to one hour.

3. HKdagreat

HKdagreat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey so i downloaded AIDA 64 and saw that port 2 is currently in use with the GT 330m and port 3 is empty. Port 1 and 4 are already in use as shown below. Is there anyway to free up ports? Like disable the gt 330m and enable Intel HD graphics. And how to do a x2?
    [/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

4. pathres

pathres Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    So I had earlier posts about how I could never get bios 1.24 working for my x220t, so others seemed to be having this problem and the lenovo forums seemed to make it believe that there would be a new bios to fix this. I'm starting to believe that was a miscommunication and bios 1.24 should work for everyone.

But alas I can't get it to work.
    I have followed Xav's instructions but when I reboot the computer freezes at the windows logo.
    I have tried kizwan's work around for this problem but if I do this I get a code 12 will always be detected.
    and yes I have made sure PCIe is set to Gen1 speed in Bios

When I am in setup 1.x with the bios 1.24 the TOULD does not seem to change it is set at 3.5 gb (interestingly if I immediately reboot from setup 1.x the next time i log into setup the TOULD changes to 3.25 gb but I can't get pass windows if I directly chainload and I can't get to out of setup 1.x if I pci-compress and then chainload when the TOULD is this lower value)

The only way I was able to get my eGPU to work was use the 1.11 bios and setup 1.x or else I would always get a code 12. I had to initialize the egpu and then pci compress 32bit egpu igpu then chainload into windows 7. If I did anything else I would get code 12

Any other suggestions to get this working?

My specs
    I have an X220t, Win 7 64 bit, Intel Core i5 2520M @ 2.50GHz, 6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 (not Ti) using NVIDIA 285.62 desktop driver with card always connected to external monitor by DVI (not mini HDMI), PSU Coolermaster 500W (12v/18A), PE4H + EC2C

5. useafo

useafo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well it is written on the psu, and I can't afford a branded psu.

6. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not yet but it is supposed to come out soon. Check regurarly on the first post. Nando4 is updating it with such info every day.

7. lolverse

lolverse Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i just got a gtx570 as a egpu for my vaio z1, i haven installed all the drivers, but my built in gt330m driver has an error 43 in device manager, i am also unable to get optimus working, when i try to open nvidia control panel, it says i am using a display not connected to nvidia gpu, i would like to use the internal lcd, i have followed all the steps. Please advise. Thank you very much

8. Derbish

Derbish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok so I followed the steps listed, but again after I make the necessary changes in Setup 1.x and then I go to chainload it still goes to a black screen. Just can't seem to get that to work. The computer still stays on and its that LCD black if that matters compared to completely off.

Like once before I did the changes in Setup 1.x and instead of chainload I go down and just hit the reboot option and then when I get into windows it shows x4 on port one. Not sure what the diff. is between that reboot option and chainloading? Then I continue the steps but just like if I would hook the card up before boot, when I put the computer to sleep and then hooked it all up and wake the computer up it does the same thing and just shuts down. Not sure if anyone else has had that problem, but I haven't read about it yet.

So if I can just use the reboot option at the bottom and it works that way, and get this power down thing fixed maybe I'll be good?

9. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Derbish

Reputations:
    So I just ordered on of these to replace my HD4850, you think I'll need to set up anything special. I just bought a 430 watt PSU. It's actually the one that someone posted a page back on. The MSI Frozr III Hawk edition.

11. LRH19200

LRH19200 Newbie

Reputations:
    When is the PCIe 2.0 coming out?

12. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    they said middle of november. nothing until now :(

13. Mech0z

Mech0z Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I posted earlier that I got a mail from them (After asking) saying

But here is a repost:

What fuse bypass ??

14. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh I didn't know you did in fact have an igp. This means you can do optimus, so you only need an x1 link for good performance. As for enabling the igp, check your BIOS to see if there is a way to use the IGP over the 330m. If not, then check if you can enable the igp in nando's setup program.

15. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    What is your notebook specification? Does it have Intel HD Graphics or Intel HD 3000 iGPU? If your notebook doesn't have any of these iGPUs, you can't do Optimus setup. If your notebook does have Intel HD Graphics/3000 iGPU, you need to use Setup 1.x to turn OFF GT330M. This is necessary to allow Optimus engaged with eGPU.
    In summary:-
    • After you use Setup 1.x to set x4 & chainload, your notebook can't boot into windows (black screen but not locked up).
    • After you use Setup 1.x to set x4 & then Reboot, your notebook can boot into windows successfully.
    Did I got this right? This show there are conflicts (PCI resources) which prevent your notebook from loading windows. When you choose Reboot after setting x4, BIOS actually fixed those conflicts & this allow windows to load successfully. My notebook behave the same too, except it can boot into windows but the audio doesn't work (mute) until reboot. So, on my notebook, (eGPU already connected) after setting x2 on port #1, I choose Reboot & then boot into windows.

We have established, after setting x4, you need to choose Reboot instead of Chainload to successfully boot into windows. Now, can your notebook boot with eGPU connected?

BTW, can you do something for me?
    1. Please boot your notebook normally, without eGPU connected. Open Device Manager, set "View" to "Resources by connection" & expand the "Memory" tree. Take a screenshot & post it here.
    2. Please boot your notebook with eGPU already connected (just x1 link) & take a screenshot of Device Manager (set "View" like no. 1) & post it here.
    I just want to check something. Thank you.

16. Derbish

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for your help getting this going. I also was messing around before I seen this post and remember that when I switched my express port to the first one on the PE4H, that is when I had the problem with the computer turning off right away so I swtiched it back to the 4th slot and now it will boot up and no more red light on the first led on the PEH4 board. Then I did the settings to x4 and then rebooted and when I got into windows it said I didn't have the display driver installed which I did. I checked real quick and it showed the card on port 1 at x4 though so some progress. I then rebooted and used F8 to disable driver signiture and it booted ok with the driver. But Even with the card one at bootup it only showed port 1 at x4 but no card this time. So I then put the card to sleep and turned card off then on and when I woke the computer up it now showed the card on port 1 at x4. However, it wasn't showing up in the Catalyst control center like it did at x1 and the external monitor isn't working since I'm guessing it's not being fully picked up even though it shows in AIDA64. I'll do what you just asked and will post.

17. jrw77

jrw77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CAN ANYONE HELP? I've got everything set up as I have had before, 6800 series is recognised in device manager, but under resources it says: "Device isn't using any resources because it has a problem".

Can't get this working again (after clean windows install) for the life of me. :(

18. Derbish

Reputations:
    Ok heres the shots. The after restart it didn't show but then I switched it to port one with same express card slot and then I slept comp. and then it worked at x1.

Attached Files:

19. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Interesting. The card is detected & running at x4 link at first reboot but not detected after second reboot, need to use "sleep" method to get it detected again. Did you try again? Meaning start from notebook in power off state, boot notebook with eGPU connected, enter Setup 1.x, set x4, Reboot & boot with "F8 --> Disable driver signature". Does you still got the same scenario (eGPU not detected)?

Please try this & let me know what you see:-
    1. Connect eGPU to notebook.
    2. Power on eGPU.
    3. Power on notebook.
    4. Enter Setup 1.x.
    5. Set x4.
    6. Reboot.
    7. Enter Setup 1.x again.
    8. Check in Setup 1.x whether eGPU is detected or not.

If eGPU is not detected in Setup 1.x, please try this:-
    1. Connect eGPU to notebook. eGPU is remain power off this time.
    2. Power on notebook.
    3. Enter Setup 1.x.
    4. Set x4.
    5. Reboot.
    6. Enter Setup 1.x again.
    7. Power on eGPU.
    8. Press F5 to refresh. eGPU should be detected in Setup 1.x.
    9. Choose "Chainload".
    10. Boot with "F8 --> Disable driver signature".

BTW, thank you for the screenshots.

20. tvdang7

tvdang7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Will the new pcie 2.0 kit make any difference on x1.opt performance? if so i will wait no rush here.