1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Did you checked & confirmed the other mPCIe port (white) is PCIe port#2?
    Most probably the mPCIe port(s) is located under the keyboard. Find out how to removed the keyboard. The Dell Inspiron 17R (N7110) have Intel HD 3000 iGPU. So you only need one mPCIe port to do x1.Opt setup with Nvidia Fermi desktop graphic card. Opt=Optimus provide PCIe data compression which boost performance over PCIe x1 link.

2. wankel

wankel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have the intel hd 3000 and a nvidia geforce 525m with optimus. does that change anything?

3. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "The PE4H(support PCIe 2.0) with housing is developing now and will be available in middle of November. In addition, the EC2C(support PCIe 2.0) is also developing and will be available in begin of November. I think you can buy PE4H-EC2C(support PCIe 2.0) in middle of November if the production is smooth. "

Can't wait to see these babies working. I wonder how boosted pci-e 1x 2.0 performances will be over pci-e 1x 1.0 in real life !!! Should bring smooth gaming on the internal screen !!!!

4. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    As long as your notebook have Intel HD 3000, you can do x1.Opt setup with Nvidia Fermi desktop graphic card. BTW, I found Dell Inspiron 17R (N7110) motherboard:-
    [​IMG]

See the "ethernet" & "VGA" ports in the above picture. Then compare with the picture of the rear of your notebook (source: Notebookcheck.net):-
    [​IMG]

When you compare the "ethernet" & "VGA" ports orientation, this show the two mPCIe ports (WLAN & WIMAX) are facing upside. Probably accessible after you removed the keyboard from it place.

EDIT: Please post screenshot of Device Manager (set View to "Resources by connection" & expand the Memory tree).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  5. wankel

Reputations:
    Here you go:
    memory.png

6. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks. First PCI bus with 8 digits memory address is 0xBFA00000 which means TOLUD is 3GB. TOLUD will not be a problem anyway because you can & need to disabled nvidia geforce 525m dGPU (using Setup 1.x) to allow eGPU later.

Did you check whether you can access the mPCIe port under the keyboard?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  7. wankel

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are pictures of what i found under the keyboard. i don't know which one the mPCIe slot is.

EDIT: Right click and "open image in new tab" to see the pictures.

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    The pictures doesn't show any mPCIe port. The mPCIe ports should be on the right.

9. wankel

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    my cd rom drive is the only thing on the right...

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Look like you need to disassemble your notebook to access the mPCIe port. So, it will be difficult to use eGPU with this notebook.

Anyway, if you want to know, the two mPCIe ports are located at right side, above DVD drive & near the USB 3.0 ports (on the right), as shown here. To access the mPCIe ports you might need to removed the Palm-Rest Assembly.

11. wankel

Reputations:
    are the mPCIes number 5 in the picture? so if i had an egpu, i would have to have my laptop partially disassembled while using it?

12. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Lenovo L520 likely has TOLUD=3.5GB making it impossible to run 4GB+ and an eGPU

Your Lenovo L520 likely has the TOLUD=3.5GB issue that is preventing iGPU-only equipped X220, T420s, T420, T520 systems from being able to host an eGPU when there is 4GB or more RAM installed. For details of the problem and what Lenovo are doing to correct it see Request to fix TOLUD in newer BIOS files - Lenovo Community . That is, Lenovo will need to change the locked TOLUD bios setting to be 3.25GB or less. In the interim, remove 2GB of RAM and see if the eGPU works OK.

13. kylerl

kylerl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried chainloading with the new egpu setup and with both pci compaction configurations, I end up chainloading tO a black screen.

edit: nvm, I've figured out the problem! I used the 32-bitA method of compaction and only compacted the eGPU. Everything seems to be fine now. Thanks nando4 and kizwan for all your help.

14. wreelsw

wreelsw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually I thought you confirmed it from my picture... I will swap the wireless card out to the white port and see. It seems to me that that would logically be port #2 since, port #2 shows empty.
    PCI Express Controller
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #1 In Use @ x1 (Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 Empty

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #4 In Use @ x1 (nVIDIA GF104 - High Definition Audio Controller, Zotac GeForce GTX 460 Video Adapter)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #6 In Use @ x1 (Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #8 In Use @ x1

15. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I don't know the PCIe port number. I don't have access to your notebook. Yes, you need to disassemble your notebook. This is why I said it will be difficult to use eGPU with this notebook.
    Lenovo L520 have TOLUD 3.1GB as shown here.
    I can't tell what is the PCIe port number from the picture. Only you can check the PCIe port number because you have access to it. I only confirmed there are two mPCIe ports where, based on your AIDA64 report, the black mPCIe port where WIFI card connected to is PCIe port#1 & the other one, white mPCIe port is empty, which I don't know it PCIe port number. So, you need to check it out. Even though AIDA64 report PCIe port#2 is empty, that doesn't mean it is the white port. You need to check & confirmed it by moving the WIFI card to the white port.

16. jrw77

jrw77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, I've bought my self the gear (PE4H + EC2C) and i'm trying to hook up a Radeon 6870 to my Dell Studio XPS 1645.

Basically i have it all set up physically, but i cannot for the life of me get anything working. Would really appreciate a step by step list! I know there must be one somewhere, but i've trawled everywhere trying to get it to work :(!!

17. wreelsw

wreelsw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The white one is port #2, thanks for making sure I check. Again, I appreciate it.

PCI Express Controller
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #1 Empty
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 In Use @ x1 (Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN)

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #4 In Use @ x1 (nVIDIA GF104 - High Definition Audio Controller, Zotac GeForce GTX 460 Video Adapter)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #6 In Use @ x1 (Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #8 In Use @ x1

18. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So the card isn't detected at all? The first thing that comes to mind is did you remember to connect power to the PE4H's floppy connector.

19. JaMan51

JaMan51 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was linked here from somewhere else and thought this looks interesting. I know very little of messing with computer settings but really want to play Skyrim and other newer games on my laptop without getting a gaming PC which I wouldn't have money to get right now. So can someone help me out?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1564 with Intel HD graphics. Was given this graphic of notebook schematic though no idea what it means. Would love to play newer games at medium level or higher, something worth the investment, but spending no more than $200. Trying to find the ports mentioned and no idea where they are. Can anyone guide me towards what would be right? The first post is not helping me at all, so information and links to buying stuff would be appreciated. Thanks.

20. Mhawriesana

Mhawriesana Newbie

Reputations: