DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    search for HD audio's device id in windows\inf and move those .inf and .pnf
    somewhere. That's how I got rid of 5750's audio HD.

Here's an example:
    oem26.inf
    %HdAudioDeviceDescription% = HdAudModel, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1000
    Yours will look differently since it's nvidia.

2. ajscorpio

ajscorpio Newbie

Reputations:

You can quickly and easily generate a list of installed device drivers by opening a CMD window and typing:
    pnputil.exe -e

3. ajscorpio

ajscorpio Newbie

Reputations:

Nando - apologies, I misread what you wrote. You suggested that I try a x1E setup but I mistakenly read what you wrote as suggesting that I try a x2 setup. D'oh!

I have now done as you suggested and removed the WiFi card from my laptop. The port numbering for the laptop's PCI Express Controllers is now:

PCI-E 1.0 x1 port #1
    In Use @ x1 (Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller)

PCI-E 1.0 x1 port #3
    In Use @ x1 (AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series [1002-6739] [NoDB])

In other words, port 2 is not being used (and there is no port 4).

With this new arrangement, I re-tested my computer using the RE5 and 3D Mark tests. I discovered no significant change.

x1 test results
    RE5.var: 56
    3dMark06: 9651

x1E test results
    RE5.var: 52.8
    3dMark06: 9658

Perhaps the x1E anomaly does not occur with Apple motherboards.

4. tpro

tpro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For what purpose?

6. ajscorpio

ajscorpio Newbie

Reputations:
    To quickly find the relevant INF file. I thought it possible that some people might interpret your suggestion (about searching for the HD Audio INF file) to mean that they should individually open each INF file until they found the correct one.

7. fulloffeel

fulloffeel Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have ordered all DIY Vidock set to set up my XPS m1330 with GTX460

my setup is almost identical to Flaunt's except CPU

Laptop : Dell XPS m1330
    CPU : T9300
    Original Graphics Card : 8400M GS
    RAM : 4GB
    Vidock Setup : ExpressCard PE4L

I was using GTX460 SE model, but i couldn't get it to work for days, looking back to this blog, so i went and switched it over to regular GTX460 model from EVGA.
    But nothing has changed, it would still not load up.

Since Flaunt has mentioned that he didn't have to install any of the vidock softwares, i have tried every combination possible without.
    Booting with the Card powered and connected, connecting when my computer is at sleep, and just plain PNP when it is up.

When i connect the card before booting, device manager shows that my GTX460 is working. But 8400M shows error 12.
    and it does not show any option to use GTX460. Aren't i supposed to see something in Resolution? it just shows as 'default monitor' without any other option.

Connecting the card during sleep and just simple PNP gives me same problem. it says that there is not driver for GTX460, and 8400M fails with error 12.
    also, just like Flaunt's case, all the device on USB including internal bluetooth goes off. becoming very annoying since i can't use my wireless keyboard and mouse anymore.

I have tried using nvidia driver 258.96 and 266.58. i got both of notebook and desktop versions to install for 266.58, but desktop version of 258.96 just won't install.

almost every device that i don't utilize are disabled (taking Flaunt's advice). fingerprint, SD reader, HD audio, Ethernet card, webcam are all disabled.

It has been almost a week trying to make this work...
    i am so close to just returning everything and going to Ebay to sell it off..
    Please help as soon as you can.

8. LOGIC 3

LOGIC 3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Here is a pic of my setup at work. DIY ViDock even works while my Latitude is docked. Dual ports on the monitor, so I route the output from the GTX460 to it as well. Makes the setup real clean

[​IMG]

I also just realized that by doing this, I just may be able to get 6 monitors going at once. Nivida Control panel is showing me my current dual monitors as well as the second input on my main monitor. I had my laptop screen open and that lcd showed up as well. So I potentially could have 2 monitors from the dock, 2 monitors from the GTX460, 1 monitor from the laptop and the laptop LCD screen. That's just sick! But no telling what the performance would be like driving all those screens.

Running RE5 on my 24" at 1920x1200 with anti-aliasing at 8x and motion blur on with everything else high, dropped my framerate down to 35fps.

9. LOGIC 3

LOGIC 3 Newbie

Reputations:

fulloffeel,

Don't give up man, it will be so worth it when you finally got it working.

I have not read Flaunt's post, but here are my suggestions:
    1) Drop down to just 2GB for the time being so the Dell ram issue is a non-issue.
    2) Start from step 7 of my long post here

I have a m1330 here at the office. If I get a chance later this week, I will try to get my DIY Vidock working on it and let you know what I did to get it to work.

10. fulloffeel

fulloffeel Newbie

Reputations:
    It would be awesome if you can try m1330 for me.
    i think im gonna have to hold back trying your method till weekend.
    gotta catch up on school work.

Question. if i take out of one of 2GB ram, and get it to work, does that mean i will be 2GB short whenever im using Vidock?
    i need ram more than graphics in my case....if that is the reason, i can't give it up :(

but for the sake of process of elimination, i will try :D

thank you so much for your encouragement too!!