1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I can't help you on that. You can run "Save diags" in Setup 1.x & post it here. Nando4 can take a look for you. Everything you need to know how to get the dump file after running "Safe diags" are available in Setup 1.x page.

Other solutions
    1. Can your notebook boot with eGPU already connected to notebook? If you can, BIOS might be able to allocate resources for your eGPU & this will solved Error 12 you got.
    2. Did you use D.N.A. drivers? It also can solved Error 12 in certain conditions.

2. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Look like you can do x2 link. The ExpressCard slot is most probably PCIe port #1 & the other empty mPCIe port is PCIe port#2. I don't have any recommendation for you. Any ATiAMD & Nvidia graphic card will do. Look like you're leaning toward Nvidia graphic card. Either GTX460 or GTX560Ti are suitable for you. If you want to get GTX560 (without Ti), I think better you get GTX460.

3. barkadron

barkadron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok. What about 2Gb of video memory? It would be better to x2-link or it does not matter?
    Now I choose between GTX560 2Gb and GTX560 Ti 1Gb (same price)

4. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    AFAIK, the video memory doesn't play major role in performance. Better get GTX560Ti.

5. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    No, it can´t.

No, I used the original Driver, but I will try this out, thank you.

I will do this, thank you again.

6. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    After installation of the newest D.N.A. driver my system don´t says:"Code 12", but it says this now:
    In English:

7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Uninstall the D.N.A. driver then reboot. Before windows loading, press F8 to bring up windows boot menu. Choose "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement". Then install D.N.A. driver again.

8. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    It still says "Code 52", even after the Re-Installation. I will remove the DNA driver an install the original driver. Then I will post the Save diags here.

9. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, Windows is crashed after I make the Save diags. It wont boot up. I am writting this from Ubuntu.

10. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    Windows is okay now after I deleted the eGPU files from Linux.

11. wreelsw

wreelsw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You got me thinking... I tried another monitor and the flicker was gone. So I changed the connect from VGA to DVI on the original monitor and the flicker was gone. Thank God!

Now to my next issue... I tried a round of MW3 and the FPS didn't seem to be the best. It was playble but you could tell that it was below 30 frames. Is there a way to boost the frames by using a tool like MSI Afterberner or is this due to the performance hit you take when using Expresscard? I'm not sure what throughput my Expresscard port is (2.5 or 5 gb); I have an Acer 8940G. Also, I just wanted to say thanks for your help. I really appreciate it! :)

12. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    You're running only on x1 link. So, you'll experience stuttering & lagging while playing games, especially when many effects. The only way to boost performance is by doing x2 link setup but only with either of these combinations:-
    - PCIe port#1 & #2
    OR
    - PCIe port#3 & #4
    OR
    - PCIe port#5 & #6

What is the PCIe port number of the ExpressCard slot? You can check this using AIDA64, go to Motherboard \ Chipset \ "South Bridge".

13. wreelsw

wreelsw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The port is Port #4. So is there any instructions on how to do the boost that you are suggesting?

PCI Express Controller
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #1 In Use @ x1 (Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 Empty
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #4 In Use @ x1 (nVIDIA GF104 - High Definition Audio Controller, Zotac GeForce GTX 460 Video Adapter)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #6 In Use @ x1 (Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #8 In Use @ x1

14. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    To do x2 link setup, you need to connect another PCIe port to PE4H. Since ExpressCard is PCIe port#4, you need to connect another link from PE4H to PCIe port#3. Unfortunately, PCIe port#3 is not available. You can use PCIe port#1 & #2 to do x2 link IF PCIe port#2 is physically available (in a form of mPCIe port). Can you check how many mPCIe ports available on your notebook?

You can go to my eGPU experience post to see performance comparison between x1 & x2 link.

15. wreelsw

wreelsw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Port #2 shows 'Empty' but where do I go to see how many are available? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by 'you need to connect another PCIe port to PE4H'.

16. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    If you flip your notebook, you can see removable cover. In the cover you can find WIFI/RAM/HDD. If you open the cover, you can check yourself how many mPCIe port(s) available. AIDA64 can report how many PCIe ports available but it doesn't mean they are physically available (in a form of mPCIe ports). If you go to my eGPU experience post, you'll understand what 'you need to connect another PCIe port to PE4H' means.

17. wreelsw

wreelsw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I took a picture of what I have. I'm not sure if that white port is a mPCIe port or not.

[​IMG]

18. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    According to Review Acer Aspire 8940G Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews , there are two mPCIe ports where WIFI card is connected to one of them. We know WIFI card is at PCIe port#1. So, the mPCIe port where WIFI card is connected to is PCIe port#1. You just need to confirm the other one mPCIe port is PCIe port#2. To do this, move the WIFI card to the other mPCIe port, boot into windows & check in AIDA64 the PCIe port number for the WIFI card. If the WIFI card is now appeared at PCIe port#2, you can do x2 link with both mPCIe ports (PCIe port#1 & #2). This also means you can't use WIFI when using eGPU. You also need to get two PM3N cards to do x2 link.

In my eGPU experience post, under "eGPU ATI HD5870 @x2 link Setup" you can see these pictures show the connection needed for x2 link setup:-
    [​IMG][​IMG]

In the picture above, you can see two mHDMI cables connected PE4H to two mPCIe ports on the notebook (located underneath). This is what I meant by 'you need to connect another PCIe port to PE4H'. (Sorry for my poor choice of words. ;))

EDIT: This picture show two mPCIe ports where WIFI card is connected to one of them (black). The white one also mPCIe port.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  19. wreelsw

wreelsw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK, I'm already a couple hundred dollars into this; come to far to turn arround. lol I'll have to order two mPCIe cards.

Thanks again for your help.

20. wankel

wankel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can i have some advice on doing it anyway?