1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    not worth it for gaming really. imo get an SSD.

2. Derbish

Derbish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Ok, I'll work on that, but before I do, I downloaded aida64 and what it's showing me when i click on motherboard shouthbridge under the PCI-e controller is PCI-E ports 1,2,4,6 with wifi on 2 and the braodcom netlink eithernet on 6. So I'm thinking because it's not 1,2,3,4 then I can't do x4 only a x2 or x1E. I was trying to figure out if x2E is available but that is the x1.opti which requires a intel IGP which I don't have?

And just curious but If it can have up to 6 ports where is 3,5? Those are disabled in bios? Not sure but hope to have this figured out. Thanks alot.

3. ut0ugh1

ut0ugh1 Newbie

Reputations:
    i am owner of an acer aspire one 110L (a single core atom netbook with intel 945) which has only a mini pci express connnector. this is at the moment occupied by a wlan atheros card, so do you thing it is possible an egpu. which is the max. obtainable pmk/s? what kind of problem would occur for the bandwidth? thx

4. vivithemage

vivithemage Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    any news on express 2.0? I read mid November, was curious if I should just follow this thread, or elsewhere?

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sometimes BIOS will disable a port if nothing is plugged into it. My BIOS does this and I also have a Dell. The ethernet controller is likely soldered onto the motherboard so it is not consuming a mPCI-E slot. If you have 3 mPCI-E slots and an expresscard slot, then it sounds like this is the case. I still recommend moving your wifi card around from slot to slot to determine your port configuration.

If it turns out that port 3 is in fact not wired, then you could do x2E, but remember that you'll have to disable ports 2-4 to do that.

6. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Better follow Khenglish suggestion; move the wireless card to another mPCIe ports & check in AIDA64 for the PCIe port number. That way you'll know for sure the PCIe ports number arrangement. X2E is not x1.Opt.

7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Because your notebook only have one mPCIe port, you can only do x1 link. Bandwidth will be an issue though. Lagging & stuttering are what you'll experience when gaming.

8. Derbish

Reputations:
    Ok, and yeh I was thinking that the third port might be the express card slot and when i get it in the mail then I can check to see if 3 pops up after I insert it. And on the x2E when it says that I need to use 1,2 and have something on either 3 or 4. Meaning use a mPCIe for 1,2 and then have my express card inserted which should pop up under 3 or 4 or move my wifi card to either 3 or 4. If that's the case can i still use the wifi even with port 1 x4 using first 2 lanes? I know in aida64 right now it says ports 1 and 4 are empty with 2 being the wifi and nothing showing for port 3 or 5.

I havn't seen alot of bench marks for x2E or x4. is there a big diff. between the 2? If it isn't then going x2E and saving on another mPCIe card and cord might be an option. if it's even poss to do the x4. I just need to figure out if port 3 is available then I could do x4. Once this is figured out then I just need to figure out how to use the Setup 1.x to adjust the ports, lol. I have it set up with the disk image just didn't want to do anything with it till i figure what is possible.

9. Khenglish

Reputations:
    The difference between x2E and x4 will be noticeable in some games, but not all. Depends on what you want to play. Even with x2E you still won't be able to use your wifi card in ports 3 or 4.

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    It is easy to figure out whether PCIe port#3 is available or not. Just need to use the wireless card, plug it to another mPCIe port to know their PCIe port number. It's easy. ;)

On Dell SXPS 1645, PCIe port#3 also doesn't show up in AIDA64:-
    [​IMG]

This is picture show the three mPCIe ports available in Dell SXPS 1645, which means ExpressCard slot is PCIe port#4:-
    [​IMG]

So, just need to confirm whether Dell SXPS 1640 have the same PCIe ports arrangement or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  11. Derbish

Reputations:
    Ok, but I was going by what Kizwan posted from the x2E info listed below.

x2E being similar but requires a port1+port2 setup, with either lane3 or lane4 or both having physical device attached to them. port1 is set to x4 mode, running with only the first 2 lanes.

So after checking and if I got all 3 wired plus express card slot then I can do x2E wired with 1,2 and either 3 or 4 disabled to use the E portion. So why couldn't I use the wifi in one of the 3,4 none E ports? Or if 3 turns out not to be wired then I can do x2E with 1,2 wired and 4 disabled(which is prob. the express card slot since I'm pretty sure it isn't 1). I hope this makes sense. Just want to cover all my bases. Thanks

12. Derbish

Reputations:
    I kinda mentioned before, but those of us who need to take off the whole bottom, how are they handling this. They just leave it off and it sits kinda crooked because of the wires. Or do they have a set up to prop it up around the under edges. I thought about if it was possible to cut the spaces needed for 2 or 3 mini hdmi cords to enter allowing me to keep the bottom on just with the added holes. It just doesn't seem safe to leave the bottom off if I need to run 3 cords there for x4 in addition to the one on the side which isn't the problem?

13. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I put something at the bottom (left & right), so my notebook elevated a little bit. So, no harm to the cables & the notebook itself.

14. Khenglish

Reputations:
    Yeah I used to pop my old laptop up with CD cases (and put a Pentium 1 HS and a fan on the CPU). Was too lazy to make anything for it. There were times where I just let it sit uneven on the cables though.

15. pathres

pathres Newbie

Reputations:
    Atticus182,
    I have a x220t with 6 gb ram using GTX560 (just flashed to 1.23) however I am still getting a Code 12 if I just boot up the computer with the card plugged in.
    Setup 1x doesn't work anymore as it says the TOLUD is still 3.5 in this program so 32bit compression doesn't work and 36bit compression causes it to hang

Our config is similar I thinking maybe it may be a driver problem

1) what driver are you using for your video card? Are you using a laptop video driver with a modified inf or the newest desktop GPU drivers? Did you have to reinstall these drivers after flashing your BIOS

2) do you do a cold boot with the card in the express slot or put it in during hibernation mode? and do you even use Setup 1x

16. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have a problem with my eGPU (ATi Radeon HD 5770). My system (Thinkpad L520 with Core i3 CPU) always tells me: "This device can not find enough free resources (Code 12)". How can I solve this problem?

Greetings,
    ibmthink

P.S.: Sorry for my poor english, it isn´t that good. I´m from Germany.

17. atticus182

atticus182 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I have the x220 with BIOS 1.23.

I installed the latest Nvidia driver 285.62.
    I boot with the eGPU on in expresscard.

Everything fonctions without Setup 1.x, it is plug'n'play.

18. frmrpreztaft

frmrpreztaft Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

well, I got the new PSU today. I'm not happy to say that after all this work, three PSU's, i still can't get the GTX560 to be noticed by windows. I have no idea what's up with this setup. It doesn't make any sense. Anyone else with an x220 / GTX560 want to share their secret?

My 9800GT works fine in this setup. With any of the three PSUs. The GTX560 works in the desktop. with any of the 3 PSUs. I'm about ready to just give up!

19. carage

carage Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wanted to try out DIYeGPU-Setup-10f-pre28, but I realized I can't figure out how to remove the previous version 1.0e8 already installed on my system.
    I checked the folder and it doesn't include a friendly uninstaller like the 1.0f version.
    I assume I would need to get rid of the previous version, before I can install the new version.

Can someone tell me how to do it?
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CHS.
    Thanks.

20. Cookiejam

Cookiejam Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm having the same problem as pathres with my x220. Error 12 when I plug in.
    i5-920
    8gb Ram
    Gtx 560TI

I've been going at this for hours, tried plugging the egpu in different ways already with different combinations of nvidia drivers and optimus drivers to no success.

Some problems encountered
    Plugging egpu after boot:
    Sometimes when I do a fresh reinstall of drivers, the monitor will turn on briefly when I first plug it in after booting, then switch back with error 12. <- the monitor switching stops happening after plugging in a couple of times and just stays on error 12.

Plugging egpu and cold booting:
    When it reaches the 'starting windows' screen, it hangs indefinitely.
    If I force reboot, it'll boot but might blue screen or just error 12 again.

Anyone know what's going on?