DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Aiwi

Aiwi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

That's a really neat solution mate! care to share an overview of you wiring so that I can make a similar setup? I've got a PE4L and a XBOX360 power supply you see.. =)

For maximum performance, make sure you're using the Optimus drivers and disable Audio over HDMI in Device manager

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  2. thendless

thendless Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here is a diagram showing how I wired it up:
    [​IMG]

3. wamerocity

wamerocity Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks for the help everyone, but I haven't been able to touch my Vidock for weeks now. I thought I'd have enough time to play BF:BC2 online, but I don't, cause I am starting my studying for my medical school boards.

I just listed my PE4L + HIS ATI HD5770 on eBay + 3' HDMI cable+ 72W DC Power supply, plus 250W ATX PSU on Ebay for $120-auction or $170 Buy-It-Now, if anyone is interested.

Hope somebody can get some better use out of it than I can.

4. ronvalencia

ronvalencia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    DIY ViDock + Desktop Radeon HD 6950 + Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS; My old Antec True Power 430watt powersupply is making electronic buzz noise. It seems I need a new power supply...

Plan to buy Silverstone SG07 case.

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  6. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    These all look amazing! Bravo to all of you who have done this... I would never dare to spend that much money on something I may or may not know how to build, that may or may not be compatible with my computer, which may or may not end up working. I'm too technically illiterate for that :D

7. lanteau

lanteau Newbie

Reputations:
    I just received my Lenovo ThinkPad T410s yesterday. Can somebody help me decide which PCIe ports are what?

In AIDA64 I see this:

PCI Express Controller:
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #1 Empty
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 In Use @ x1 (Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN)
    PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #4 Empty

I do have an empty expresscard 34 slot currently too, I'm assuming it is #1 or #4, or is it #3 and hidden? Thanks

8. wamerocity

wamerocity Newbie

Reputations:
    In light of how much things have decreased in price, I dropped the buy-it-now price of the auction listed above down to $150- that includes pe4l, ati hd5770 1gb, 250w PSU, 72w ac adapter, and a 3 foot hdmi mini to mini cable (plus the original shorty cable). Hope it's enough to interest somebody. Thanks guys.

9. tpro

tpro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, it should be nvidia, well i have the cheapest setup but the PSU mail in rebate has expired :( , with the psu rebate , overall including shipping GTX460 PE4L ... = 222.7 $ . But without the PSU rebate, maybe 242.7...:( :( (Corsair 430W 80 plus)

By the way, whats the PSU are you using? And of coarse this is cheaper for you and more powerful (rebate) :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-na&AID=10446076&PID=3640576&SID=skim525X832

However thanks for the info, maybe i will change my option for nvidia (i dont need optimus)

10. tpro

tpro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all, i need to answer this

-Is the 430W PSU needed for a setup with GTX460 which uses x1 port?

I am really confused, assuming theres a bottleneck... Because someone posted a 203 watt psu assuming that theres a bottleneck. oh well...

I appreciate any help. Thanks nando4!