1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Hi starscream,

Welcome to NBR! Look like your notebook have Intel GMA 4500MHD iGPU. This means you can do eGPU x1.Opt setup. Opt=Optimus provide PCIe data compression which boost performance over PCIe x1 link. Look like your notebook doesn't have ExpressCard slot, am I right? If yes, you will need to use the mPCIe port which currently use by wireless card.

2. starscream00

starscream00 Newbie

yes you are right, it dosen't have an ExpressCard slot, but i use the mPCIe port which my wireless card uses and buy an external usb wifi card.
    Ill do more research on the x1.opt setup.
    But all i would need for it is the basic package with the PE4H ver2.4 with PM3N right?
    Thanks for your quick reply :)

3. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

4. starscream00

starscream00 Newbie

thanks alot, i agree, if im buying i might as well go with the PE4H, it looks like its constructed better.
    Cant wait to try this out, i already have a power supply.
    With the 1x.opt i assume that graphic card like the 560ti gives good performance?
    ill be using that most lightly :D
    thanks so much!

5. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

GTX560Ti is good choice. Regarding the PSU, it's not the PSU total power you should look at. It's the PSU +12V max current. GTX560Ti power requirement is 170W & can go up to 205W on peak 3D. GTX560Ti power consumption also can go up to 260W if OC-ed. So, make sure the PSU +12V max current is at least 24A (12V * 24A = 288W). 288W means PSU have 10% safe margin (borrowing Nando's calculation :)) to drive OC-ed GTX560Ti.

6. starscream00

starscream00 Newbie

thanks,ill be sure to look out for that. :D
    this is going to be my upcomming project...i cant wait lol

7. del_psi

del_psi Notebook Consultant

Do all Fujitsu T5010s have an express card slot? I don't recall that mine has one. Mine seems to have a PC card.

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

9. NorthernAvengeR

NorthernAvengeR Notebook Enthusiast

Anyone know if the x220 throttling issues in regards to a eGPU solution have been fixed with the new BIOS update? My finger is on the order button. :eek:

10. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

X220 still has the TOLUD issue that prevents 4GB+ implementations with bios versions newer than 1.11. See Re: Request to fix TOLUD in newer BIOS files - Page 5 - Lenovo Community . I like the Lenovo X220 but the tech support hasn't been receptive to providing a timely fix of the TOLUD issue, now over 4 months since it was first logged with them.

The NBR user pyro did suggest in his last post in this thread that he had a surprise for eGPU users. Previously he was looking for X220 owners to supply bios dumps to see if a new bios could be modded with 1.11 TOLUD settings...

11. del_psi

del_psi Notebook Consultant

That's interesting ... I have to look into using the mPCIe port then...
    Is it easy to connect the cables when using the mPCIe port? I heard some dremel work is necessary to make it fit neat.

I did some research but I'm going to wait until retles posts some more information.

12. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

I don't think you need to use dremel. Please see mine:-
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the PM3N cards didn't secure properly but it have proper contact, that's all I need. I use cable tie to prevent the cables from moving. Improvised! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  13. arnierobert

arnierobert Notebook Enthusiast

The local parts store here has a EVGA GTX550Ti SC 1 gb ddr5 on sale for $129.99- 30$ mail in rebate so a final price of $99.99. Should that be enough for my purposes?

14. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Depend on the games. Anyway, x1E only suitable if using ATiAMD or older Nvidia card. For GTX550Ti, I think you better do x2 setup. I think GTX550Ti is more than enough for UT3 & Portal 2.

15. DreamThtr

DreamThtr Newbie

Hey man, I've got a Vostro 3700 with NVidia 330m and was hoping to hear from you as you have a similar system.

What problems did you encounter?
    What BIOS version are you using in your Vostro?
    Is the performance advantage of using an eGPU is really that great?

16. User Retired 2

If you look around you'll find GTX460-1GB units for $130AR like this Zotac unit. A GTX460 has 74% more cuda cores than a GTX550Ti/GTS450 (336 vs 192), so a 30% price premium is definitely worth it. A GTX460 is still the best bang-per-buck card out there and when clocked to GTX560 levels (not GTX560Ti) gives virtually the same performance.

In another thread you wrote your system's specs as Vostro 3700 core i7 720QM and NVidia 310m 4gigs ram. A G310M has performance equivant to a Intel HD3000 iGPU, so is a low spec dGPU. Any ATiAMD/NVidia eGPU implementation would be faster.

However, to extract maximum performance would require a NVidia x1.Opt implementation. That is only possible if your Vostro 3700 has switchable graphics which would also requires a Arrandable i5/i7 cpu on the Calpella platform. If your systemboard is compatible then you'd need to swap out your Clarksfield i7-quad to allow the iGPU to engage.

17. apav

apav Notebook Consultant

Hey guys, wow I can't believe I'm actually thinking of doing this.

I have a 2010 15" MBP running Windows 7 on boot camp with an GT 330m. I'm buying parts to build a system when I get home from college in December and I ordered 2 Sapphire Toxic 6950's(unlocked to a 6970) here to test on my friend's desktop and I saw this thread.

If I do this, will I only be able to hook one of them up? How much of a performance increase will I see from my GT 330m?

18. User Retired 2

MBP 15" 2010 has Intel HD + GT330M. If you want more performance than the GT330M then I recommend a x1.Opt (NVidia Fermi) implementation which this system can do. The NVidia drivers do pci-e compression to give great performance over a x1 link. ATiAMD doesn't do that so while benchmarks like 3mk06 will give some great numbers, real life gaming will stutter when doing large pci-e transfers and will be worse overall than the GT330M.

Performance considerations are extensively covered on the first post.

19. DreamThtr

DreamThtr Newbie

Thanks for your answer man, in both posts I stated that my gpu is a NVidia 330m, and true, I have a clarksfield i7 on Calpella, so no switchable gfx for me, so then, no eGPU goodnes for me? I was hoping to use a GTX 560ti

20. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Dell Vostro 3700 have ExpressCard 34mm slot & one mPCIe port. If both are either [PCIe Port#1 & Port#2] or [PCIe Port#3 & Port#4], you can do eGPU x2 link setup. You can check the PCIe port # where the wireless card & ExpressCard connected to using AIDA64. For the ExpressCard, you'll need to put ExpressCard device though because if not AIDA64 trial version won't be able to detect it. Games will stutters if eGPU x1 link but will run smooth with eGPU x2 link. So, I'd recommend you eGPU if your notebook can do x2 link setup.