DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becak

becak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    no switchable graphics, just IGP. At first error 43.
    My setup is on the first page,
    p8600+gtx460Se opt x1

Follow my post for more details on how to do the setup. I have put enough details in there for ppl to follow.

2. NewNet

NewNet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK. I'm starting to do the experiment :D. I decided for this and my lab will be:
    PE4H-PM3N ver2.4 Package
    430 watts PSU
    GTX 580

3. aesopr14642

aesopr14642 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh! I'm waiting for watching the highest mark:p

4. allister

allister Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have a newbie question - I'm trying to create a DIY ViDock and want to know whether it is possible to get a newer graphics card (I'm looking at the ATI 6950 2gb card here) - of course with the appropriate power supply.

Will I be able to realize the full potential of this card (or any of the current-gen cards)?

For reference, I have a Dell XPS 1530.

Thanks!

5. lingo124

lingo124 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    dont think any of these DIY solutions can utilize the card fully because of the bandwidth limitations of the connection between computer and card.

6. allister

Reputations:
    You're right, I started reading this thread from page 1 (about 100 posts deep at this point) to get a better idea. Still have a few things going over my head, but just in general, given my Dell XPS 1530/4gb/T9300 2.5ghz with its ICH8M chipset and assuming money was not an object (well, within reason and as long as it does not reach the cost of a desktop gaming rig :D), what's the best setup I could do?

Would it be the PE4H combined with the 1.25TB nVidia GTX470 as listed by nando4 in this post?

I assume that the GTX470 card is suggested because it would not be possible to obtain better performance even with a faster card given the limitations of the ExpressCard interface. Is this right?

7. ronvalencia

ronvalencia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The link width and speed will determine the performance you'd get. Now your XPS 1530 cannot do a x1.Opt or x2 link but can do x1E. The x1E makes ATI cards like a HD5770 or HD6850 attractive. ATI cards tend to perform better with DX9 applications.

Then again a GTX460 performs better in DX10/DX11 and is certainly no slouch in many DX9 games. It's Optimus capabilities making it a better card to re-deploy on an IGP-equipped notebook, so consider even a system changeover to accomodate Optimus. This is covered in 2. Which video card do you recommend for best performance on my system? on the first post.

Also refer to HD5750 versus GTX460 on x1 and x1E links (T9300-2.5, ithildin) for a similar specced system to help you decide which card to use on your XPS1530. There is also a both a GTX460 and HD5770 (not x1E) M1530 implementation on the first post. Your system has good coverage.

9. allister

Reputations:
    That's very helpful nando4, thanks! I'm leaning towards an nVidia card because of the better DX10/DX11 performance. I also have an nVidia card on board (256mb 8600M GT).

I'm guessing it would be hard to tell without testing, but would performance be significantly better with a card like the GTX 560 or the 2gb ATI 6950? i.e. would the performance improvement be similar to these benchmarks?

Or does this go back to the point about the link width and the speed?

10. LegendaryKA8

LegendaryKA8 Nutty ThinkPad Guy

Reputations:
    Okay... here goes something?

I've been thinking about either going to a newer Sandy Bridge notebook or putting some upgrades on one of my current existing Montevina systems. I have both a ThinkPad X200 as well as a T500, the specs for both are listed in my sig.

I'd like some more GPU grunt so I'm definitely considering a Vidock4+ combined with either a GTX460 or GTX470. I'm not sure how much performance difference there would be between the two cards since I'm assuming the ExpressCard bandwidth limitations will be a bottleneck.

As well as the ViDock, I'm likely going to be modifying other components of either notebook, depending on how much performance I can eke out of either system. If I choose the T500 I will be upgrading the processor to a T9900 and bumping the RAM up to 8GB among a few other things.

If I choose the X200 it's going to be a bit of an experiment, one which I don't think has been tried before. Prices on X201 motherboards have dropped down to a reasonable level, and I'm considering retrofitting the X201 board into my existing X200. I've found a reliable source for boards with the i7-640M CPU, which would be a healthy upgrade from what I have now at the very least. I'm no stranger to this sort of modding as I've done an X60s to an X61s swap; and I recall from a post on this thread that this particular notebook/ViDock combination churned out a very healthy 13K 3DMark06 score. I'll admit having the power of my old XPS M1730 in an ultraportable-sized footprint is very attractive.

Also, how do multiple monitors work on the ViDock? I know I can use the internal LCD when I'm on the notebook itself, but if I could get the external card to run three or four external monitors when I'm at my desk that would be completely awesome.

I've read up on the ViDock route a little bit but really need more information; with this topic at 300 pages it's really hard to find specific information on what I should do. Any ideas on which notebook I should upgrade, and what challenges I would face with doing this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.