DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Nobody has split the PE4L/PE4H bandwidth using a riser as yet. Two potential issues with this:

1. Your bandwidth would be split between the two cards. If the bottleneck is there then your second GPU would be spending more time waiting for data to arrive rather then processing it. Need to establish the pci-e bandwidth requirements your CUDA application has to confirm two GPUS would be a worthwhile venture.

2. Two external GPUs means you'll need to do PCI allocation for both. This may mean up to 512MB of PCI space. Can read more about the same problem that the FASTRA II ppl had.​

Pics of how to do the DIY ViDock setup are in the Getting Started section off the first post, including the techradar link.

Consider that many manufacturers have created USB 3.0 ports on Series-5 chipsets by adding a USB3.0<->pci-e chip using only a single x1 1.0 (2.5GT/s) pci-e lane. So even if a USB 3.0 DIY ViDock was available you'd be only get half it's bandwidth.

Saying that USB 3.0 support has been requested from hwtools. No updates about it. It would require additional converter chips.

If you want a DIY ViDock setup now consider a mPCIe based solution using a PM3N by swapping out your mPCIe wifi card.

This discussion started back here. Afaik a GTX460 doesn't have this problem AND can be had at great prices. I'd suggest RMA the GTS450 replacing it with something like a $109AR Sparkle GTX460-768MB. The changeover costs will be minimal.

RE5 is CPU bound on a GTX460/GTX470 + i5 setups. I'd expect your i5-520M+GTX470@x1.Opt would get RE5 in the 102-105FPS range, so 35-40FPS more than your HD5650MR.

i5-430M+GTX470@x1.Opt DV4-2000 experience has dmcv4, mafiaII and FFXIV results. These other games giving a better indicator of HD5650MR versus GTX470 @x1.Opt performance.

2. Soyaku

Soyaku Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    T_T I already RMAed it once. I got the same effect with both cards. I'm gonna go with a defective PE4L, everything installs fine with no hitch. I just can't play any games.

3. Jeykhob

Jeykhob Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all his members of the forum.

I introduce myself, Jeykhob'm a fan of video games.

I see you are doing a spectacular job, I give my most sincere congratulations. Especially Nando4 user, for the great work you are doing.

I have a laptop;

ASUS X59SL P8400/4/250G/3470/15
    P / N: X59SL-AP382C

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26 GHz)
    L2 Cache: 3MB
    FSB: 1066
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 667MHz
    Hard Disk: 250GB
    Sound: Intel High Definition Audio
    PCMCIA: no => Express Card
    VGA: ATI HD3470 256 MB dedicated (up to 1024MB Hyper Memory)
    Video Connectors: 1 x DB15 / 1 x DVI
    USB: -
    LAN: 10/100/100 / 802.11n
    Modem: -
    Firewire: -
    Optical Drive: Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW
    TFT: 15.4 "WXGA
    Dimensions: 36.5 x 26.2 x 3.5 cm
    Weight: 2.7 kg
    Operating System: Windows Vista Premium
    Card reader: if
    Camera: 1.3 Megapixel
    Safety: -
    Battery: 6 cell

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Data from my laptop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just ordered one PE4H ver2.4 with EC2C.

I would like to help me a bit.

My idea is to buy a Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 OC 1GB. I have an 500W power supply from an old desktop pc.

My questions are;

1. My laptop can move this card graphics, or I'll have to put another graphics?
    2. Get with this component PE4H ver2.4 with EC2C the best connection between the card and the laptop?
    3. It would be better another connection to the laptop as PE4H ver2.4 with PM3N for best performance?

I have wanted to ride my ViDock Bricolage, and share all my experiences with this.

I hope his advice.
    Sincerely, greetings.

4. Mech0z

Mech0z Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Gigabyte GTX460OC-1GI

Not sure if I have gotten optimus enabled I dont hope so as the difference between this card and my old HD5770 1GB is almost none then.

Only thing I did was replace the .ini file and then install. But dont know how to test if I am running optimus?

Still feels abit laggy when streaming HD in fullscreen compared to windowed from www.gomtv.net

Here is with Nvidia sound device disabled, no difference

[​IMG]

5. tvdang7

tvdang7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damn i wonder why dell took out the express card slot. I was really looking forward to doing this when sandy bridge came out.

6. atticus182

atticus182 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

If I have a Sandy bridge laptop with Serie-6 chpset, does the USB 3.0 connection will have 5 Gbps bandwith?

7. carage

carage Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ViDock and the like is obviously serious competition for the Alienware/XPS "gamer" laptop line.
    Seems all the major laptop manufacturers are thinking this way too.

8. wicked20

wicked20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if Sandy Bridge mPCIe will be any faster than previous gen, is it 5 Gb/s? If so any links? Most Sandy Bridge like the one I'm getting XPS15 R2, don't have EC. Also, would the PE4H-EC2C or PE4H-PM3N support the faster speed of Sandy Bridge?

Thanks.

9. acer47ok

acer47ok Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It could also be because they assumed the expresscard slot was useless or rarely ever used. Not once have I used an expresscard slot myself until I heard about the diy vidock. I even thought I didn't have the slot until I looked at my laptop carefully then I realized I did then I made a vidock....

So what's the word on expresscard 2.0 laptops? It's March.....shouldn't the laptops be out by now?

10. Jeykhob

Jeykhob Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello

Took several days reading the forum. And I have another question emerged. My laptop uses the Northbridge Chipset SIS M671 DX and SIS 968 Southbridge. As you can see pictures of my previous post. But I see that most of you are testing the PE4H with ICH9 Chipset, 8.7 M among others. But none with mine.

There is someone who has tested with my chipset?

Someone can tell me if I'm going to have problems with my chipset?

Need for help me. I have no experience with the DIY ViDock. And before spending money on a card chart type: "Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1GB OC"

It is possible that my laptop can run a DIY ViDock?

Thanks.