1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Martype

Martype Notebook Enthusiast

Hi nando,
    do you know someone who could do that?

Greetings

2. lecho

lecho Newbie

hi.

i bought pe4l-ec2c + radeon 5770 and i have a problem. i am using win 7 and card is not detected. when i insert expresscard to laptop one led on pe4l is on d1_Int. jumpers are JP3= Closed, JP4= Open and fan is very slow. i tried close 2 jumpers like it was on default and fan was on much higher speed than now when i plugged expres card...
    i installed latest drivers...

so can anybody help me?

3. Lord_Epithis

Lord_Epithis Notebook Enthusiast

So I have officially decided to put aside my home made Vidock and return using my on board graphics. The performance of the 460GTX and connection rate was the equivalent of the card I already have on my laptop (M330 nvidia). The bandwith that the external card was running at was 1.4 gb/s while, meaning that even though it was much powerful than the laptop's standard, the performance was actually a little less.

Second I was getting tired of booting up my laptop and having it crash as soon as I typed in my password to officially log in. Once in a while as well it would crash randomly, the video card connection simply ceased to work.

Thus I shall wait for the next step in the performance section, meaning I will wait until they have a 2.0 version out. I'm not going to bother with doing a 2 X 1.0.

Hopefully it should come out soon.

4. Mjolner

Mjolner Notebook Evangelist

I posted this a while back but I still haven't found a solution and I would like some help:

When I play certain streaming videos from the internet in full screen, I get around 10 fps instead of 24 or 30 (whatever the source is supposed to be). This seems to happen regardless of the video resolution as long as it is in full screen. Higher resolution videos running not in full screen have a normal framerate, but full screen videos are a stuttery mess even if they are only 360p.
    The weird thing is if the video that doesn't play well is on youtube, I can download it and it will play perfectly fine in full screen on my computer in VLC media player, even if it is in 1080P. This makes me think that it isn't the optimus bandwidth causing it; otherwise I would think it would be resolution dependent but ALL videos in full screen have low framerate regardless of resolution.
    I would appreciate some help on this, because I would hate to have to remove my eGPU every time I want to watch an episode of a show online in full screen.

5. ruhtraeel

ruhtraeel Notebook Consultant

This happened with my old laptop too, when it had a 5870 hooked up to it. I thought it was because my laptop GPU was failing (which it was). I'm not really sure why it happened, but if I were to give a suggestion, maybe change the Nvidia/ATI control panel settings for the internet browser you are using?

6. Mjolner

Yeah I don't think the videocard is failing since it is working fine. I have tried both forcing Firefox to use the integrated graphics and to use the nvidia GPU, but this is under the 3d settings and videos are a 2D process for the video card, so I am not sure it actually does anything. I have also tried enabling and disabling hardware acceleration by right clicking on flash videos. This has no effect either.

7. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

this would be awesome... especially since most newer computers are not coming with expresscard slots.

any idea when this is going to be available?

8. ruhtraeel

ruhtraeel Notebook Consultant

I have no clue, I've sent numerous emails to PLX and their distributors but nobody has replied...

Estimated price for the chip by semi accurate is $7-$8!!!?!?!!?

EDIT: The only distributor that seems to mention it is here
    https://avnetexpress.avnet.com/stor...ohs=&storeId=500201&term=usb+3380&topSellers=

Unfortunately, I live in Canada and I'm not sure if they will have service here.

EDIT2: Contact info for Canada West Coast says to email a representative from cascade-tech. Upon further research of this company, I have found out that they have an office in my city (Calgary). I will give them a call

9. Fardavid

Fardavid Notebook Consultant

Hi!
    Finally I got my Fujitsu AH531 with I5-2470, GT525M and 8GB and now Id like to connect my GTX 560Ti.
    As I already have a dGPU I need to switch it off, right? Do I also have to do it as above? If yes, I'm wondering how to switch it back when I don't want to use eGPU. Do I have to only unplug the express card and restart?
    Although I've been using eGPU for almost 1,5 years, my previous set up was quite easy, I only had to plug the eGPU, didn't need any DIY-eGPU-setup, or anything, so please if possible describe it more clearly so I can understand it. Thanks!
    D

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

First, install Setup 1.x. You can check available PCI space (largest_free) in Setup 1.x main screen. Second, if largest free is 256MB or more, try boot with eGPU connected & power on. If largest free is less than 256MB, turn off dGPU in BIOS & chainload to windows. Third, if eGPU detected with error 12, you'll need to do PCI compaction.

You can disconnect eGPU (ExpressCard setup only) while in windows by using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon in notification area. If dGPU is off, you will need to sleep/reboot your notebook. Put notebook to sleep & wake it up again should make dGPU active/on too.

11. Fardavid

Thanks! That sounds easier! :)

By the way, I guess you can check my TOLUD here. Is it larger than 256MB?

Attached Files:

12. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

TOLUD is 0xBFA00000 = 2.99GB which is good. I can't determine the largest free PCI space from that picture. What I can tell you is, for TOLUD lower than 3.25GB, you can obtain 256MB PCI space with either dGPU off or PCI compaction or if you're lucky there is already 256MB PCI space available. You'll need to boot into Setup 1.x to know for sure.

13. Fardavid

Ok, thanks! I'll do it when I'm home again. Now I can reach my computer from distance only, so no possibility to boot up.

D

14. Nerosam

Nerosam Notebook Enthusiast

Hi peeps

I am in a similar situation to "thkaw". I have a Lenovo W520 with a i7-2720QM, Quadro 2000M, 8GB RAM and running BIOS 1.30. I am trying to get a eGPU setup working (mainly for gaming on my 3D monitor and rendering using more cuda cores)

I have a PE4H + EC2C + Nvidia 8800GT (for now, GeForce GTX 460 on the way) but started running into those code 12 errors. I then tried putting the laptop to sleep, turning on the eGPU and resuming the laptop but would still get code 12 (after a few seconds). I also disabled the dGPU in the BIOS so that I run on the iGPU only.

So I tried the compaction tool. I tried using 32bit compaction but it didnt look like that was working because at the end of the log which shows its progress it would say somethig like "was not successful try another setup". Since my laptop is 64bit and has 8GB RAM installed, I thought it was a better idea to select the 36bit compaction. For the 36bit option i selected iGPU and for the 32bit option i selected egpu.

I was able to boot windows. It took a bit longer to boot and the usual windows starting animation didnt show. it onl showed the old vista animation. Upon booting, the reolution on my PC was super low and fixed at 16 colors. I checked the control panel and noticed that my iGPU was running on standard vga drivers. Reinstalling the intel drivers didnt fix it. I also noticed that the eGPU (8800GT) was no longer giving the code 12 errors but for some reason, the iGPU was giving code 12 errors and the egpu was not showing as an option in the "screen resolution" window. The Nvidia control panel was also giving errors saying that it does not exist.

Im quite stumped here...Im beginning to worry that the new gpu on the way will not work since this old 8800GT isnt getting any further...

Anyone able to help here?... ;S

I have attached screenshots of the setup process. SCN000 is before compaction & SCN001 is after compaction.

Attached Files:

15. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

The W520 bios has the same issue as the X/T series where it sets TOLUD=3.5GB when the iGPU only is active. Luckily for you if you enable the dGPU in the bios, then disable it in Setup 1.x, the eGPU can hijaak the dGPU's pci-e space when you do a 32-bit iGPU+eGPU PCI compaction. You'll probably find that TOLUD will change to be 3.25GB when you do that.

You'll also need to do the steps as in BUG: dGPU[off]... at the bottom of the Setup 1.x page.

16. Nerosam

Nerosam Notebook Enthusiast

Interesting... Alright.

I gave the workaround script a try and as you can see in the attachments, it seems I have typed up the script a bit wrong since its giving me that error. I typed:-

Code:
    setpci -s 0:1c 10de:0611 1c.w=20,20
    I removed the "." after "0:1c" because it was throwing another error and asked me to check the setpci help.

perhaps you can point out what I am missing? ;S

Thanks ;D

Attached Files:

17. elicash80

elicash80 Notebook Enthusiast

I hate to keep bothering you guys, but I really want to get this thing rolling. This was my post a few pages back. Is there any screens I can take in DIY 1x and RW everything that would help the community show me where I am going wrong?

18. Mjolner

Anyone have any idea about this? If it is a side effect of the eGPU than it is a pretty big issue that people should be aware of, especially if there is not solution or workaround.

19. noric

noric Notebook Consultant

@ Mjolner:
    A few pages back, someone discovered that the problem is related to hardware acceleration: right-click on the streaming video and choose settings, enable hardware acceleration. Anyway, you may want to search back in this thread, it wasn't so long ago!:)

20. Fardavid

I have only 128 MB free space so I'm trying to turn off the dGPU with setup 1.x. I can do it, but I don't know how to exit and boot up then without dGPU.