DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. exe

exe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone here that was unsuccessful with the DIY Dock that want to sell me theirs, please send me a pm, thank you. I'm looking into venturing the waters.

2. Mjolner

Mjolner Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I ran the RE5 DX10 benchmark on my Y460 with the 5650 M at 765 Mhz core and 960Mhz memory and got 68.3 fps. The resolution was 1360 x 768 (since my monitor doesn't have 800 vertical lines of resolution), which actually has slightly more pixels than 1280 x 800. I ran it on variable at whatever the stock quality settings are; is this right? 68.3 doesn't seem all that much lower than some of the GTX470 optimus results, which doesn't really make sense given that the 3dmark vantage scores they are getting are nearly 4 times what this 5650 gets.

3. suhail_spa

suhail_spa Newbie

Reputations:
    ARC2-PEL-2X16

hi...
    can we use these dual PCIex16 risers to add TWO graphics cards in a DIY Vidock- while using the PE4H kit...?
    any help please....

anyone has experience with using TWO graphics cards using DIY kit- please share...
    i am building a DIY rig..but if I can add two graphics cards using this riser- it would really help me in my Cuda based application...

and there are a few basic questions about assembly (considering I am an architect and not a computer expert...)..I have gone thru the posts repeatedly- and need answers- as many things i have doubts:
    I will be using a GTX 460 (2GB), and have ordered a PE4H kit...
    1) PE4H needs its own power supply with the cable that comes with the kit...I connect it with the ATK switch with the cable first? and connect the ATX switch with the desktop PSU...? someone can post some pics? it will really help
    2) then I plug the GTX 460 into the PE4H- and connect the power cables (which comes with the graphics card) into the GPU... is this correct?
    3) then i adjust these into a cabinet..and connect the PCIexpress adapter and cable to my laptop PCIe slot...
    i hope i am not missing anything here...
    can someone please confirm/clarify...???
    (the thread is just great- i appreciate the efforts put by everybody here.... :) )

4. RFE3

RFE3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    Wow!!! Some great work going on here, I stumbled across this thread several days ago and have spent many hours trying to read through and understand all of whats going on. I'm no Computer Wiz so some of the tech stuff still escapes me (even with Google and Wiki). I'm still unsure if I can use this on my old Laptop.

I just bought a Toshiba Qosmio x505-894 to replace my 6 year old Acer Aspire 1800. I'm not ready to chuck the Acer out the door as it's been a good, reliable Laptop over the years. The main reason I got the new Toshiba was that the Graphics Card in the Acer was lacking. I'm not a huge Gamer, I play WoW with my Son and Daughter and after the new Cataclysm update it can't handle it any more. If this DIY Vidock will work on my old Acer then I could squeeze a little more life out of the Old Girl.

Here's the Specs on the Acer If any one could point me to the correct DIY unit I would be grateful.

Acer Aspire 1800
    Phoenix FirstBios 2.9
    Intel P4 CPU / 3.2GHz
    2 Gig DDR Ram
    Intel 915 Chipset
    South Bridge: Intel 82801 FB ICH6
    ATI Mobility Radeon X600 (64 Mb)
    Catalyst 10.2 Drivers
    34/54 Express Slot
    Win. 7 Ultimate (x32)

I hope that's enough info.
    Many thanks,
    Rick

5. poupis

poupis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I've got a "noob" question : Would it be possible to use USB 3.0 to connect a DIY ViDock ? I've seen that people would try with thunderbolt, but nothing with usb 3 ^^.

Thanks !

6. tvdang7

tvdang7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i want to know this as well since i am getting an xps 15 and there is not expresscard slot . usb3.0 should be faster than expresscardx1 slot right?

7. jakozza

jakozza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As you can see on the (big) photo there are two slots and two connectors.
    This riser doesn't distribute lanes between slots.

8. Mjolner

Mjolner Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone? Am I running the correct benchmark settings?

9. Soyaku

Soyaku Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Trying again.

The screen tearing continues, but games become playable when using Direct X 9 instead of Direct X 11. (In Direct X 9, screen tearing is tolerable, but it still shouldn't be doing it.)

(Can actually PLAY Dragon Age II now. Haven't retried Starcraft 2).

Any thoughts on this?

I'm using PE4L+EC2C, Toshiba Satellite A505-S6025, EVGA GTS 450

10. daranik

daranik Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Screen tearing is when the screen refresh doesn't match the refresh of the card, use D3Doverrider it works for me. Screen tearings a fact of life just use this program and you won't have any more screen tearing.Try using V-sync in games that tends to help aswell.