1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Fardavid

Fardavid Notebook Consultant

Thanks!
    Well, I didn't expect optimus results of course, but at least higher than with my old card. Anyway, the 3DVantage points are higher and also the DMC4 and RE5 benchmarks. I will test Crysis 2 and The Wither 2 today if it is better than with HD 4870. Hopefully yes.

2. gilipollas

gilipollas Notebook Guru

The aim of egpu in my case was avoiding a new laptop:)

Yes, i tried all the possible cable configurations. I even tried first use the port 3 connection for recognizing and then hotplugging additionally the EC2E. This doent change anything except the fact that 3dmark2006 crashes after loading benchmark no.2. What i want to say is i activated x2 in setup 1.x but it doesn't do x2. Of course, because there is only one cable connection. Then i hotplug EC2E for a second cable connection. Maybe stupid.

EDIT: I guess i will now stick to x1 and just be satisfied.
    I also tried deactivating LAN and cardreader in Bios like Moerf did it. He was finally successfull with a nvida-egpu at the same type of laptop(inspiron 1520= vostro1500).

3. rockwood123

rockwood123 Newbie

Can someone please help me understand when I am supposed to flip the power switch on. Is it while the laptop is sleeping? hibernating? or off?

i am using a dell xps15 l502x, -i7 2620 at 2.7ghz, 6 gigs ram, intel 4500 in the cpu, and then a gt540. I was using a 9600gt that i already had, and i was gunna switch to a newer ati card, but I was gunna try to see if i could get it to work before i bought a new card. Can someone please help me with the proper steps, im using a mPCIe btw.

-edit- one time it did recognize and download the drivers, but i couldn't get anywhere after that

4. Fardavid

Fardavid Notebook Consultant

Well, I would suggest to try all the possibilities, as with the same laptop I just pluged in HD4870 while windows was running, and with GTX 560 I had to put on sleep then plug the card. My friend has exactly the same laptop, and HD 5770 had to be pluged in right after the BIOS started...

5. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Newbie

Hi I have a 2010 Sony Z128GG with the carbon cover and the integrated Intel/GT330M hybrid graphics.

Ive ordered a E4H-EC2C express card kit and was wondering what my best options are for video cards.

I have an old NV 8800 ultra and 2x ATI 5870's lying around I would like to use if possible. If needed im happy to get another mPCIE adapter too and will consider buying another GTX570 or similar, but only if i will gain significant benefit over the cards I already have.

cheers

6. echtelion

echtelion Notebook Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I´m going to try this eGPU stuff, due to the good results in many people over this thread, and before purchasing any gpu I´d like to ask some questions in advance.

My laptop specs,
    Dell Inspiron9400/E1705 ICH7 chipset - 2 Gb RAM - NVIDIA 7900 gs - C2D7200.
    4 PCIe 1.0 slots. 1,3(doesn´t appear in DM),4 empty.
    2 slot (Wireless card, I´m thinking in removing it)
    TOLUD 80000000.

Questions:

1. Since isn´t feasible 1x Opt. for me, Would it be better a Nvidia fermi or an Amd ?
    I´m between a Radeon6850 or a GTX560, GTX 40$ over radeon.
    2. x2E, Could be an option for me?
    3. Is there any chance of keeping both iGPU-eGPU drivers, without having to remove/reinstall them, when you want to use one or the other ?
    4. Has anyone tested Ultramon-DummyVGA method? Can I get 30fps at least, in windowed mode?

Thank you in advance to everyone for open the path, that others will follow!!

7. gilipollas

gilipollas Notebook Guru

One stupid question:

Is TOLUD needed for 1x different than the TOLUD needed for 2x?

8. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Nope, same value for both.

9. pyr0

pyr0 100% laptop dynamite

The old 8800 does not perform well as an external card, it will be slower than the Z1's built-in 330M. A 5870 should perform pretty decently, but only in DX9. In DX10, it will be slower than the GT330M.

If you don't mind buying a new card, you will get the best results with the Z1 BIOS hack, VGA set to static and a GTX460/GTX560 (Ti) or better NVidia card. A 570 or 580 will be capped by the Z1's bandwidth and will not perform noticeably better. Run your Z1 in stamina mode with the BIOS hack for Optimus support which boosts the card significantly (see performance table on 1st page, there are many Z1's listed).

So, the best bang-for-buck you will get with a GTX460/560 card. We are talking about 15k 3DMarks06 / 13-15k Vantage Marks which is about 2-3x faster than the 330M on stock clocks.

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

This is your notebook PCIe port configuration, right?
    Code:
    Vostro 1500 layout:
    port1: mpcie(WWAN, atm contains PM3N)
    port2: mpcie(WLAN, in use)
    port3: mpcie(WPAN, empty)
    port4: expresscard
    This is Vostro 1500 schematic: Dell Vostro 1500 (UMA) Schematic | Laptop Schematic | Laptop Motherboard Schematic | Laptop Motherboard Diagram | Notebook Schematic | Laptop Circuit Diagram | VGA Board Schematic | Laptop Master Password | Bios Password | HDD Password

On my Dell Studio 1557, eGPU is not detected when PE4H's PCIe Port1 is connected to WWAN port (mPCIe Port1). eGPU is detected when PE4H's PCIe Port1 is connected to WLAN port (mPCIe Port2). So, I can do x2 link with:-
    - PE4H's PCIe Port1 connected to WLAN port (mPCIe Port2)
    - PE4H's PCIe Port2 connected to WWAN port (mPCIe Port1)

Does eGPU detected when you use the same^^ configuration on your Vostro?

For sure, eGPU is detected when using ExpressCard slot right? So, you can use this configuration to get x2 working:-
    - PE4H's PCIe Port1 connected to ExpressCard (mPCIe Port4)
    - PE4H's PCIe Port2 connected to WPAN port (mPCIe Port3)
    Try not to hotplugging the PM3N card. Just connected both, power on eGPU & power on notebook. Then enter Setup 1.x, set to x2, then select Reboot. Let it boot into windows. See whether this work or not.

11. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Different laptop, different method. I'd try connected everything, power on eGPU & then power on laptop. Use Setup 1.x to turn off dGPU (GT540M). Then chainload boot into windows. If still failed, I'd try sleep/connect/wakeup method (turn off dGPU using Setup 1.x beforehand).

Your notebook have Intel HD 3000. Instead getting ATI card, better get Nvidia card. You can do x1.Opt with Nvidia eGPU.

12. HITRC

HITRC Newbie

Mjolner, I work at Harmonic Inversion, sorry you have not heard back from us. I looked into this as much as I can since I do not have the information on your actual order. All orders that we have received have been shipped. You should have received an invoice from us and the invoice has the tracking number. Please keep in mind if the delivery address is on the US East Coast that shipments were affected by the hurricane. Please send me your personal information or call me at 316-858-0047 x501 and I will look into this further for you.

13. gilipollas

gilipollas Notebook Guru

Yes, thats the right layout. WLAN normally is connected to port 2, but i switched it to port 1.

If i use only single ports egpu is working at all four ports(afair). Yesterday night while trying setup 1.x I only checked ports 3 and 4 connected to PE4H's PCIe Port1(only one cable). At both ports egpu is detected.

This is exactly what i did: (cited)
    But it is not detected in setup 1.x. I also tried switching the cables. But I dont have a second PM3N so i cant try port 1/2 for x2.

But i still can try 1xE in this configuration setting port 3 to 2x mode. Actually in this case port 1 is also set to x2 and port 2 disappears.

14. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Did you tried this:-
    - Boot system with eGPU powered off.
    - Disabled mPCIe Port3 using Setup 1.x
    - Power on eGPU
    - Hit F5 to refresh. See whether eGPU is detected & working on x2 link.

15. elicash80

elicash80 Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help so far.

After scouring ebay (I am a fiend for bargain hunting), I picked up a $99.99 GTX 465 1GB from Geeks.com

EVGA GeForce GTX 465 1GB DDR5 PCI Express (PCIe) Dual DVI Video Card w/mini-HDMI & HDCP Support EVGA 01G-P3-1465-RX GeForce GTX 465

I purchased a PE4L with switch for $60 including shipping off ebay - Hope he is legit. - He accepted my best offer of $44.90.

Now I just need to know what power supply to get. Since the GTX will have two 6-pins can I do two power supplies or is that a bad idea?

Also I have access to used computer parts and I CAN NOT put any more money into this. What Watts/Volts/Amps & brands should I look for when pulling from a used desktop?

I plan on overclocking to max this baby out as well.

16. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

GTX465 max TDP is 200W. When overclock, max TDP will be more than 200W. You'll need a good PSU with max current on the +12V rail more than 20A if you want stability. Maybe +12V/25A at least.
    What is the specification of both PSU?

17. elicash80

Oh I have no idea yet, this all speculation. I have not had time to start looking. Do they need to add up to a certain # of amps or watts? Do they need to be identical? If I can do two into one GPU, what minimums do I need to overclock.

Also what if the PSU has two 12V rails - Do I need 25A+ on each rail or less, or can I only utilize 1 rail - I just got into this and I don't know much about amps, rails, and watts, ect.

I am seeing PSUs with 2 12V rails, that add up to 25+Amps - Would this work or do they need to have two 6-pin connectors? What happens if I only use 1 6-pin connector?

18. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Dual rail PSU is inferior than single rail PSU & also less efficient. If it is ATX12V 2.0, the +12V2 for the 4 pin connector and +12V1 for everything else. So still use one rail to power eGPU. (If you have different ATX12V revision, you can google for the design guide.)

I don't know the GTX465 minimum power requirement for overclocking. If single rail PSU, I'd get PSU with 12V/25A (12V * 25A = 300W). This doesn't count the PSU efficiency yet. 80Plus rated PSU have at least 80% efficiency while non-rated PSU might only 70% efficiency. But I think 300W might be enough for overclocked GTX465. If you're using two used PSUs, I bet they're dual-rail. So, maybe each PSUs must at least 12V/15A. One of the PSU will need to power both PE4L & eGPU (one floppy power connector, one 6-pin PCIe power connector, respectively). Another PSU for another 6-pin power connector.

19. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

GTX465 required 2 x 6-pin PCIe power connector. One 6-pin PCIe power connector won't be able to power GTX465.

(P/S: In my PowerColor ATI HD5870 manual, it said attaching only one 6-pin PCIe connector might damaged the card. It doesn't seem make sense OR I might remember it incorrectly. I'll reconfirm this later.)

20. elicash80

The PE4L does not get it's power from the GPU or the expresscard? Do I need to buy a floppy connector as well?

So to be clear, two 200W (400W total) 12V/15A PSUs connected to the GPU both through 6-pin will work even if they are different?