DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. acer47ok

acer47ok Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey... The dv7-5000 has a intel hm55 chipset....does that mean the likelyhood of other laptops with the hm55 should have expresscard 2.0 as well?

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    DV7-5000 has a HM65 (Series-6) chipset capable of pci-e 2.0 5GT/s. HM55 is pci-e 2.0 for the power management only. It's still only 2.5GT/s.

You'll need an accessible mPCIe or expresscard slot to do a DIY ViDock. Complete listing of parts is available on the first page. The question as to what video card to get for best performance is often asked, so is now a FAQ item on the first page Which video card do you recommend for best performance on my system?.

3. NewbieKid

NewbieKid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I am really not sure whether I have an accessible mPCIe or expresscard slot, theres only a HDMI slot and a SD MMC slot from what I've seen on the outside of the laptop and I dont know if the wifi card is accessible as well.. My model is the Asus A42KJ

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  4. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Your notebook doesn't have express card slot & wireless card is located below the keyboard.

5. NewbieKid

Reputations:
    Oh, thx a lot, and the wireless card is hard to be reached? Must I peel open the lappy in order to access it? And will my warranty be voided?
    Anyways, will the wireless card be counted as a 1.0 expresscard or a 2.0

6. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    No need to disassemble the whole laptop. You just need to disconnect the keyboard to access wireless card. Someone at another forum nice enough to share the pictures shown how to access the wireless card. He have A42JE, should be similar with all A42 series.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As long as you don't tempered the warranty sticker, shouldn't be no problem. Wireless card is attached to mini-PCI-E slot - PCI-E 2.0 x1 port 2 (checked on my Asus, port # might different on yours).

For DIY ViDock setup suggestion, maybe someone else can help/suggest you for the best approach to apply/setup it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  7. NewbieKid

Reputations:
    Wow, its kinda hard to take out the keyboard huh? Must we unscrew any screws before the keyboard can be taken out? And once the wireless card goes out, then I wont be able to use wifi?

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    The method to take out the keyboard almost similar with any notebooks. I don't see any screw holding the keyboard. You can take out the keyboard without unscrewing anything else (look here). Yes, you won't be able to use wifi.

9. acer47ok

acer47ok Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought the dv7-5000 had a hm55...well at least according to HP Pavilion dv7-5000 Entertainment Notebook PC series specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

Is it possible for a laptop with the sandy bridge chipset such as hm55/65 to still use a 1st gen I core processor(eg i5 430m)...?

For my vidock setup. The ATX PSU is outside instead of inside a normal PC case....since it's outside. exposed to the elements...could I just block off thetop of the power supply so no dust gets sucked inside? The fan still spins...and the psu never really gets hot at all so I dont think it needs that much air circulation anyways.

10. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the ViDock 2 Plus with 225watt power adapters which I was using to run my ATI 5870 on my laptop but finally took the chance it could power the GTX 580 which specs state 244Watts. I converted one 6 pin to 8pin and runs just fine and wow what a difference between the 5870 and 580 :D