1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. apac

apac Notebook Enthusiast

Here is what happened using the CX430. I fiddled enough to get things working using the method described earlier. First I tested the internal LCD with 3dmark, then I grabbed a dell monitor and plugged it in to the DVI port. I was rather confused because Win7 wasn't properly detecting the monitor at first - I had to plug it in a couple times. After I did get it working, I tried playing with a couple things, pulling out the expresscard etc. I'm not sure what happened but at some point I couldn't get the ext monitor to work at all. Then I tried plugging my 1080p TV into it and the whole system hung. After that point I was never able to get an external display to work until I changed PSUs - which happened because I shorted the CX430 trying to get the CX430 more power using the 8 pin adapter :). Since it no longer works I can't re-test.

Could have been the PSU, could have been something in software. All I can say is after changing PSUs I haven't had any further issues. Although I'll probably try another one because the Cooler Master is a little noisy.

2. apac

apac Notebook Enthusiast

The compaction is needed to resolve the error code 12 you get after installing the drivers. There isn't enough PCIe space for the card, so you have to use egpu setup to rewrite the PCIe allocation to make some room. Chainloading lets egpu setup do the PCIe mapping before Win7 loads.

3. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

would you still have to do that if you just start the card via going into standby under win7?

4. apac

apac Notebook Enthusiast

I tried for a long time to get this to work. Without fail, every single time I tried the standby/sleep trick the machine would BSOD with "The driver is mismanaging system PTEs". There was some post that said you must boot with compaction for a system that does not have enough PCIe space allocated, so when I read that I stopped trying.

5. bc2946088

bc2946088 Notebook Consultant

I know vidock isnt really supported, but figured i'd drop a question.

I bought a vidock 4+ and a gtx 550 ti to play around with. The results went backwards, with my laptop in the sig with the fx1800m I could get a 7600 3dmark score. Putting in the gtx550ti, I went backwards to 5300. Not what I was hoping to do at all. Is this driver related since i can't run the optimus without an intel gpu?

Annoying to say the least, still havn't given up hope, but really not sure which direction to head.

6. serialk11r

serialk11r Notebook Consultant

When did this happen? You used molex to 6 pin PCI-e first right? The GTX460 pulls 160W, which is a bit more than the rated power of 2 6 pin PCI-e. In your case this would've been provided by 2? molex connectors, 1 6 pin PCI-e, and 1 floppy cable (which I would be weary of running more than 3A through). If the molex connectors were a bit sketchy you'd easily be encountering some problems.

7. nick359

nick359 Notebook Enthusiast

well if the dv6/7t series doesnt have an express card port, wouldn't I be able to purchase a usb to express card adapter and just plug it in the usb port?

8. Axeia

Axeia Notebook Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the floppy power connector on the pe4l can be used as a powersource if you use a DC power adapter? Simplest way would of course to test it by simply hooking up a fan or something to it.. but I don't have the stuff yet (do have it ordered).
    If it can be used as a powersource I could add a fan to my enclosure, if not I'll need to forget about that idea.. or use the USB power for power.

@nick359
    Are there any USB 3.0 USB->Expresscard converters? Because USB2.0 is too slow for any decent resolution even if it worked.

9. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

cant the fan get power from the psu?

10. nick359

nick359 Notebook Enthusiast

11. serialk11r

serialk11r Notebook Consultant

No that won't work, you need an Expresscard slot built in because you need a direct PCI-e link to the CPU/chipset.

And yes, you can use the floppy power to hook up to another DC-DC converter, although I think it's better if you just hook it straight to the PSU...
    EDIT: sorry misread, but I think it should work as long as the 12V coming out of the onboard converter is somehow connected to the floppy port. Just check the schematic on the hwtools website.

12. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

It's usb 2.0....

13. apac

apac Notebook Enthusiast

This happened when I unplugged the molex adapter and tried to get one of the 4+4 pin cables on the PSU to work with the 6 pin socket. It was only after the PSU and video card fans stopped spinning that I realized I'd forgotten to switch off the PSU before unplugging/replugging stuff. :eek: Dead PSU.

And that is why you always make sure your equipment is off.
    /arrested development

14. mangos47

mangos47 Notebook Consultant

I think the limited bandwidth of the pcie x1 link is the bottleneck here. check out my eGPU benchmark and you'll see how weak is x1 link for some applications such as 3dmark06. For some other applicaion/games it may not be that bad.

I'd suggest you run some benchmark with the application that you intend to do on this eGPU setup to see whether this thing is useful to you or not.

I'm in this thing mainly for the OpenCL/Cuda programming so I can purposely make my application run almost entirely on the eGPU by itself therefore a x1 pcie link is not a very big issue.

15. mental2

mental2 Notebook Enthusiast

thanks to nando4, i finally have everything up and running. here's a link for my benchmark. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE video card benchmark results

apparently my scores are pretty low. i will probably be working on that issue next. thanks to all who helped!!

sager np5793
    dgpu GeForce 8800m GTX
    Intel Core™2 Duo Extreme X9000 2.8GHz Processor w/6MB L2 cache - 800MHz FSB
    4Gb RAM
    Win 7

vidock
    corsair cx430 psu
    gtx 460

16. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

@mental2,

Appreciated if you can do the rest of the benchmarks like 3dMark Vintage, Resident Evil & Devil May Cry (please see first post). If you can post gaming experiences, it will be great too. I found not many game experiences has been posted lately.

Many people who interested with eGPU have asked what kind of performance they can get with eGPU. Of course we can give technical explanation but if we have the real data, it can give better picture what kind of performance can be expected.

17. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

i'd be surprised to see a 8800 gtx be beaten by a 1x pci linked 460. o_O

Does anyone know when the 2.0 expresscard adapter from hw tools is out? I sent them an email but they havnt written back.

18. xmarsh86

xmarsh86 Notebook Enthusiast

The latest HP DV6T stated in Nando's list doesn't come with expresscard slot, how the egpu solution can be done?

19. jsizzie_2004

jsizzie_2004 Notebook Guru

I've been a long lurker since in this thread.. now I just realized that I have a mini PCI-e slot with my wireless device is but my question is will it work with a sub notebook HP DM1Z with AMD E-350 fusion platform? I'm a noob and do I need to tweak something in the BIOS?

20. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

If ExpressCard slot is not available, can use mini-PCIe port.