1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Basically notebook with Sandy Bridge CPU & Intel HD is needed for Optimus setup.
    GTX 560 Ti required maximum power 170W while GTX 470 required maximum power 215W. When buying PSU, pay attention to 12V rail max current.

2. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    12v just means that i cant use a lets say 16v psu, right? Would something like this work fine? Although it is an ATX and i read ATX can cause problems?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSP-250W-...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item4aaa070e4c

This picture was posted by a member on the last page here; In the box where you see the PE4H, what is that thing in the top right corner for? It looks to me a bit like its for the powersupply of the PE4H?
    [​IMG]

3. mangos47

mangos47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if you refering the thing on the top right corner within the lower red frame, it's simply a switch to turn on the PSU which you can also do with a paper clip.

from the old PSU it reads 12v at 15A if I'm not wrong so maximum 180w off the 12v which is sufficient to drive the gtx460. For more powerful cards a more powerful PSU will be neccessary.

4. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I can't find the specification of this PSU. I highly doubt this PSU able to power GTX470 or GTX560 Ti.

What kind of problem?

5. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thats what I ment, as i just found out on the website. It is the ATX power supply power switch (since its not connected to a motherboard). What i dont understand is that it has got 24 pins to drive it, rather than 20, which i thought is the standard connector which comes with the psus?

edit: why do you doubt it? It got 12V at 250Watts, so I asume about 20A which should be enough to drive the card?

Dunno what problem, i think i read something here ages ago but maybe i was wrong

6. Gil3

Gil3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    The 6-pin/8-pin/6+2-pin PCIe connector cable is used to provide extra 12 volt power to PCI Express expansion cards. So, to know whether the PSU able to provide enough power or not to the graphic card is by looking to the 12V current. This is an example of 500W PSU specification (PSU specification can be found on the PSU casing):-
    <table border="0" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td style="color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;" width="169" bgcolor="#666666">Voltage</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">+3.3V</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">+5V</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">+12V</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">-12V</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">+5Vsb</td></tr><tr><td style="color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;" bgcolor="#666666">Max. Current</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">25A</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">20A</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">34A</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">0.8A</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">3A</td></tr><tr><td style="color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;" rowspan="2" valign="middle" bgcolor="#666666">Max Combined Wattage</td><td colspan="2" align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">130W</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">408W</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">9.6W</td><td align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">15W</td></tr></tbody></table>
    As you can see the +12V can provide max current of 34A. So, to know the power:-
    Code:
    Power = 12V * 34A = 408W
    This is the maximum power this PSU can provide to the graphic card. Check it against the graphic card maximum power requirement.

8. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i see. Another question, I read that Sandy Bridge processors got the integrated intel 3000HD GPU already... well... "integrated". Does that mean that every sandy bridge processor already comes with optimus technology?

9. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    That is an old PSU. Can you find any of these PSU in your country?
    FSP or Corsair or Seasonic???

Your earlier choice of PSU (Hec Cougar RS 400 80PLUS RS-400) can support GTX460. But, better get PSU with single 12V rail. Corsair CX series are cheap & can provide enough power to run GTX460.

10. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    To be exact Sandy Bridge with integrated Intel HD & Intel HD 3000 can support Nvidia Optimus setup. Nvidia Optimus does not come from Sandy Bridge processors.

11. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thats what I ment; but does this mean that all Sandy Bridge processors support optimus since all sandy bridge processors come with an integrated intel hd chip?

12. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    yes, its in the cpu die now

13. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    might seem kind of stupid, but does that mean i can also get optimus drivers if i get a sandy bridge laptop which comes with an ATI card? (if i just uninstall the ati drivers and connect and install the drivers for the external nvidia card)

edit: also; i still dont know why the ATX power switch has got 24 pins whereas most PSUs seem to come with a 20 pin plug which i dont really understand...

14. serialk11r

serialk11r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most PSUs actually come with 24, the extra 4 are just for extra juice to the motherboard. 20 pin ones will fit a 24 pin slot, and vice versa, the extra just hang off the side. Usually the 4 extra pins are separated on their own cable or detachable in some way.

The only thing you need to know is that a turquoise colored wire switches the PSU on, as long as the switch bridges it and a black wire (ground) your PSU will turn on. You don't even have to buy the switch thing if it doesn't come with it, you can use any switch and just stick some wires into the slots.

And yes I think a Sandybridge laptop with an ATI card can work. You might want to wait one more day before buying anything though, because hwtools said PCI-e 2.0 compatible adapters will be available 7/30 :) Then you can potentially get near Thunderbolt performance or better with Optimus drivers.

EDIT: About Thunderbolt being x2 or x4, I am finding conflicting information on the internet, so maybe someone else can find out what it actually is.

15. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yeah i read about this, so if id buy one of the old hwtools old pci 1.0 adapters does it mean my pci 2.0 card slot will be just as fast as a pci 1.0 slot because the diyvidock is still on pci 1.0 speed?

Reason why I'm asking about the ATI/intel/optimus thing is, that in this thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/6542661-post1222.html nando says you got to install your normal nvidia laptop driver FIRST before you overwrite it with the desktop driver which doesnt quite work like that with an ati gpu... unless he just means unpacking by installing (similar how lv2go.com does it)`?

16. Gil3

Gil3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    in my country Corsair CX series are More expensive than the PSU - Hec Cougar RS 400 80PLUS RS-400.
    It's important to have a single 12V rail?

And maybe the PSU is the picture is in my country or similar PSU ..
    Give me the name of the PSU in the picture or similars PSUs and I'll try to find it

17. andros_forever

andros_forever Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello, I am the owner of a Gateway p7805u.

I noticed on the first page that I would be the first to implement the eGPU system into their laptop. I am currently running on Win7, x9100 CPU, with the stock 9800m GTS integrated video card. A GPU upgrade to the 460 GTX would increase my gaming limits drastically, as I can reach 3.7 Ghz on my extreme CPU, but am bottlenecked by my GPU in achieving greater fps, especially in stereo 3d.
    I would gladly post my benchmarks and results on my system after performing this upgrade but am in need of some guidance.

If I understand correctly I need this: ExpressCard External Graphics x16

All of the items listed there correct?

and a power supply and GPU of my choice to get this to work, correct? Would a more powerful card like the GTX 580 give me more benefits on a setup like this, or would the result be the same because of the Optimus limit (I don't really understand this part, if someone would be so kind as to explain this).

18. Xenitic

Xenitic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the 9800 is a pretty powerful card, im not sure if its actually really worth upgrade, especially considering that you'll get performance loss due to the PCI bottleneck...

19. serialk11r

serialk11r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think a GTX460 would give him a bit more power though, seeing how x1 optimus setups are able to play even games like BFBC2 at high resolution. He might be able to get an x2 connection going too.

20. xmarsh86

xmarsh86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The new macbook pro 15 comes without expresscard slot, does it mean there is no eGPU solution for it beside the sonnet product which hasn't release?