1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

An error 12 is better than an error 43. You still get error 12 with only 2GB? Sounds like you just need to reallocate.

2. mbrongges

mbrongges Newbie

Sir I want change my vga card gtx 560 Ti with Ati VGa card. What vga card that matches the my cpu?
    Specification :
    Dell inspiron 1410
    Processor : Core 2 Duo T6400 2.00 GHz
    Ram : 2 GB
    Vidock use PE4L-PM3N
    Please answer my quetions?I want to buy VGA card that can be increase bencmark score.

3. mangos47

mangos47 Notebook Consultant

gtx560ti is a decent graphics card already. plus it's optimus capable so if you later switch to a new laptop with intel HD grahics you can see better performance. besides I think the CPU you have is kinda a bottleneck here so getting better graphics card most likely only yield marginal performance improvement.

benchmark score is not everything, especially synthetical ones like 3dmark. if gaming is your end application of the eGPU setup, try play real games as performance indicator.

4. serialk11r

serialk11r Notebook Consultant

The bottleneck with eGPU is the PCI-e link. The best you can probably do is a x1 Optimus PCI-e 2.0 link, as it seems Sandybridge does not allow ganging of PCI-e ports in an easy way, whereas older systems could with nando's software tweak. So just keep in mind that if you get a powerful GPU, you're still stuck with relatively low resolution and framerate. Turning it up to say 1920x1200 will probably not work with newer games.

5. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Thunderbolt, as MacBooks have implemented it (dunno how the Sony Z has) gives roughtly 1.2 times the bandwidth of a PCIe 2.0 x1 link over the PCIe portion of the link, and a normal DP 1.2 link over the other portion.

So thunderbolt isn't rolling in PCIe bandwidth, either.

There are Thunderbolt to PCIe adaptors. All Thunderbolt interfaces currently connect to PCIe, at the moment.

6. Czez

Czez Notebook Guru

I have a problem with Setup 1.x. I have installed it as a bootloader menuitem and it shows up as I start Windows but when I select it I get the error:
    "Try hd0,0 NTFS5"

And it goes back to the main menu.

What's wrong?

7. NewNet

NewNet Notebook Enthusiast

Yes, my system has 2 GB ram. I've error 43 if startup win 7 with eGPU ON and I've error 12 if hotplug eGPU when win 7 is running.

8. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Try do PCI compaction using Setup 1.x then boot into Windows then plugged in eGPU.

9. NewNet

NewNet Notebook Enthusiast

In eGPU Setup 1.0f with eGPU OFF I did PCI compaction.Run compact --> ALL devices on pcie bus. After that the system is frozen with black screen. I tried to disable some pci and the command work without Ethernet card in P6. Then I redid two test:

a1) (with p6 disable) PCI compaction.Run compact 32-bit--> ALL devices on pcie bus
    a2) chainload win7
    a3) plug eGPU (insert EC2C in expressCard slot) there is again error 12

b1) (with p6 disable) PCI compaction.Run compact 32-bit--> iGPU
    b2) chainload win7
    b3) plug eGPU (insert EC2C in expressCard slot) there is again error 12

EDIT: I've tried the two tests with 32-bitA, but again error 12

10. Gil3

Gil3 Notebook Enthusiast

Now it's final.
    Laptop Lenovo IdeaPad G560 M27C2IV 0679-C2G
    Has an ExpressCard 34 slot!
    It has been tested by the store:)

So I'm going to buy this laptop.

Now about the PSU:
    I got a recommendation on this PSU:
    Hec Cougar RS 400 80PLUS RS-400
    (I can buy this PSU in my country)

For the GTX 460
    Information about the PSU are here:
    cougar-world.com: COUGAR RS

Is this PSU good for
    Good For The GTX 460 + PE4H?

And another question,
    Is all I need to buy for this laptop is the PE4H + PSU + GTX 460?
    If I missed something, tell me what

Thanks!

edit:

I found this picture:

[​IMG]
    That's exactly what I need to buy (probably)

Everything in the picture is - PE4H + PSU + GTX 460 ?

11. serialk11r

serialk11r Notebook Consultant

Hmmmm I've been itching to game for a while, and hearing that Kepler/SI is delayed YET AGAIN, I think I'm going to just pull the trigger and grab a GTX460 and the new PCI-e 2.0 adapter when I move into college in a few weeks. So we'll have a working Sandybridge x1.opt 2.0 soon :) (hopefully)

I apologize in advance, but I am running BIOS 1.12 on my X220, as I understand I will need to run Setup 1.x and optimus, or revert to 1.11 correct? I haven't been following for a while, and I don't really remember anything.

12. Warwickeo

Warwickeo Notebook Enthusiast

Yes, you have to downgrade to 1.11. However there might be a change in the future. JameZ opened a case for me (x220t)...

13. atticus182

atticus182 Notebook Consultant

I am running my GTX 560 Ti on a X220 BIOS 1.11 without problem and it is plug'n'play.

14. ElJupo

ElJupo Newbie

My experiences with a Egpu and an ATI 5770 are extremly bad.
    For every game i tried i had to install a different driver to get acceptable fps.

I recommend an Nvidia Card.
    It seems that the Nvidia cards handles the limeited bandwith better..

15. Czez

Czez Notebook Guru

Can I please get some advice on what graphics card to buy for my laptop?

I have a Vaio Z VGN-Z11XN (The old Z that came with Intel 4500MHD + 9300M GS)

Would it be possible to do an 1x Optimus setup on this laptop if I disable the 9300M GS?

16. Axeia

Axeia Notebook Enthusiast

Hello all,

Sorry for not reading all 464 pages, although I seem to have gotten most information from the very nicely written OP I do have a few questions left.

Can PhysX be offloaded to a NVIDIA card on the PE4L-EC2C? Already have an ATI Mobility 5870 in the laptop itself the performance and it's quite the beast as far as laptop graphics go. Giving it a little performance boost by being able to offload PhysX would be a nice bonus!

A "you're right" or "you're wrong" response to these assumptions made after reading the OP (and more) would be nice:
    -Using Windows 7 (64 bits) there are no issues adding a NVIDIA card to an ATI system or vice versa.
    -A large amount of VRAM could be beneficial as the card needs to swap back and forward less information if there is more room for keeping things local.

Any other info is of course also welcome! If everything goes well I'll attempt to add a GT520 to my MSI GX640 so I can hook up a 2560x1440 display.

17. danenick1212

danenick1212 Notebook Geek

So,
    I received my HP Elitebook 8460p today and got the eGPU working on an external monitor. Optimus is enabled(18k 3dMark06) and the RE5 and DMC4 benchmarks all showed that the GTX 460 was active.
    The only problem I am having now is getting optimus to enable on the internal screen. The laptop will not boot with the eGPU connected, as I get a black screen. Even halting W7 startup with F8 and hotplugging the eGPU cause W7 to not load.

I then tried DIYVidock Setup 1.0e8 and was able to chainload into W7 to get optimus to enable using the internal screen. I don't know if I needed to do PCI compaction, but I did. After getting into W7, I noticed thing were running slower than usual, so I am thinking that just I shouldn't need PCI compaction, only initializing the GTX460 prior to loading W7. After reinstalling W7 and updating to the latest HP bios, I tried again to boot the laptop with the eGPU connected. Still, a blank screen and a no go. I tried one last thing before going the DIYViDock Setup, and that was plugging in the EC2C just after the post screen appeared on the laptop, but before W7 loaded. Low and behold, it worked. W7 booted just fine and asked for drivers to install. So in the end, all it takes it a well timed connection of the EC2C to expresscard slot to have W7 load the eGPU and engage optimus on the internal screen. *Note* If I do not need optimus on the internal screen, I can connect/disconnect the eGPU as I would any USB device once W7 is loaded and I will get full performance on an external LCD.

Now, my question is, once I chainload and initialize the GTX460, will I still need to install the virtu drivers from Lucid. I know that they are recommended, but has anyone noticed a difference?Not Needed

I will do a full gamut of benchmarks with screen shots after I get everything sorted. I am pretty sure my results will be very similar to the Dell with the i7 already on the examples

Lastly, I haven't seen anyone with an HP 8460p and eGPU yet, so if you guys need me to try anything, I should have time the next few weeks before school.

Elitebook Specs:
    Windows 7 Professional 64
    Intel Core i7-2720QM (2.20 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache)
    8 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Blu-ray R/RE DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL
    14.0" diagonal LED-backlit HD+ anti-glare (1600 x 900)
    Intel® HD Graphics 3000
    160GB Intel SSD

Update 7/29/11
    I did a system format for a couple of reasons. I was running the stock HP install of W7 and it was bloated! I had well over 100 processes running with 3.08GB of physical memory used just after booting. Another reason was to reclaim the 20GB of Recovery and HP Tools partitions that, to me, are completely useless. On Monday I will continue with RE5 DX10, DMC4 DX9 and DX10, and 3dMark Vantage/11. If there are any other benchmarks you'd like to see, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do. So without further ado, here are some early benchmarks.

3dMark06 Intel
    [​IMG]
    3dmark06Intel by Danenick, on Flickr

3dMark06 Galaxy GTX460 768mb
    [​IMG]
    3dmark06NewGTX by Danenick, on Flickr

Resident Evil 5, 1280x800 Variable, GTX460 768mb
    [​IMG]
    RE5GTXDX9Variable by Danenick, on Flickr

3dMark11-all default
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/63431700@N08/6069823743/" title="3dMark11 by Danenick, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>
    http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1708309;jse...11/1708309?key=f6RJbqj2atuA0tvumJRCy9xRJFEV8R

Heaven Benchmark
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/63431700@N08/6069834799/" title="Haven by Danenick, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>

I would test a GTX570, but mine went to the previous owner of the HP 8460p as part of the payment. I am really looking forward to the updated HW Tools stuff. I am planning on getting a hold of the hardware as soon as it's available so we can get this Expresscard 2.0 ball rolling. At this point, I am pretty unsatisfied with the internal LCD performance of the eGPU BUT, I know that will get a lot better with the new hardware. I mean, this laptop kills my C2Q Q9300 desktop when it comes to 3dMark06 and some other benchmarks. These new Core i7's are beasts!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  18. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

YES. There is a stack of examples + info on the first page of video cards to buy. A GTX460-1GB represents great bang-per-buck when purchased for < US$120.

Read about Hybrid PhysX: NVIDIA Removes Restriction on ATI GPUs with NVIDIA GPUs Processing PhysX | techPowerUp

A full set of benchmarks with your quad-core i7 would be appreciated. Means can have a HP in the top ten systems which atm is dominated by Lenovo. The Lucid driver is not necessary since you are running Optimus which does the same thing plus gives x1 pci-e compression.

19. danenick1212

danenick1212 Notebook Geek

I will try to have that Friday. Also, any pointers on maximizing the framerate on the internal LCD? I'm assuming the best bet would be to wait for the Expresscard 2.0 parts from HW Tools.

20. Xav

Xav Notebook Enthusiast

Bios 1.12 should work just fine as well. Bios 1.11 was chosen for downgrade coz i couldnt find 1.12 on lenovo website.