1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Try get a PSU with single 12V rail. 80 Plus PSU is recommended. Corsair CX500 V2 look suitable because it have 12V/34A (408W). That is lot of room to power your card.

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Which video card do you recommend for best performance on my system? show you that your system can't do x1.Opt so 3dmark06 will be ~5k with your current system.

Solution? Upgrade to expresscard-equipped system with an Intel HD3000 iGPU or with an Optimus setup as listed at Sandy Bridge notebooks for an eGPU, then get a x1 2.0 compliant hwtools kit (ETA: August 2011) for maximum performance from your GTX560Ti. There's a 14" Lenovo E420 that can be had for US$500.

3. sherinot

sherinot Newbie

wow, any solution too me? p:(
    my friend good better with Core 2 Duo T7250, he got 6.9 for gaming. he use
    PE4L-EC2C ver 1.5
    SWEX ATX Power Supply Power-On Switch ver1.1
    Kabel Mini HDMI
    Kabel Floppy Drive Molex
    XFX Radeon HD 5670 512Mb
    PSU 500w
    why?
    cos i use nvidia? or ati is more better?

oy, this is indonesian egpu threat [VGA CARD] DIY ViDock (Solusi External Graphic Card Untuk Laptop) - Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community , my friend benchmark is there too
    long life egpu, cheer

4. Gil3

Gil3 Notebook Enthusiast

help me....

5. mbrongges

mbrongges Newbie

How to setup 1.x and where can i download setup 1.x?i have not done..please help me

6. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Hi Gil3,

With 2GB RAM, you shouldn't get error 12.
    eGPU already have video memory. The 256 is PCI space required to accommodate eGPU.
    It looks like your notebook can support eGPU but nobody have tried on this notebook yet. So, you're going to be the first person to test it. B560 have extra mini-PCIe port & it also have Intel HD graphics which means you can setup x1.Opt (x1 link with Optimus).

7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

8. sklsy

sklsy Notebook Guru

Picking a GPU with little cash, so could anyone please tell me whether PE4L supports a 9800gx2 which is essentially two 9800gt running in SLI ? If not then I guess I'll go with a 9800gtx(+)... THANKS!!!

9. Gil3

Gil3 Notebook Enthusiast

You helped me a lot!

I can not wait to bring the news to the world and I hope it will work

It's very cheap laptop with better hardware then Other laptops that more expensive

10. pyr0

pyr0 100% laptop dynamite

9800 is old generation and will be slower on a x1 link than a Fermi card (GT4xx/5xx). Dont pick a previous gen card - I suggest to pick a cheap fermi card which draws less power and has the better overall performance and is Optimus-enabled if you have a iGPU as listed in the first post.

11. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Can you post a screenshot of the Device Manager. Set the View to Resources by connection. For example like this:-
    [​IMG]
    I want to determine TOLUD on your notebook.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  12. User Retired 2

Updated the Sandy Bridge notebooks for an eGPU list with the highest bang-per-buck system seen to date:

<span style="background-color:yellow">$450-shipped 14" Lenovo E420 i5-2410M 2.3 4GB 500GB W7P 5.25lbs (2.39kgs). 1.43" thick. mSATA option *expresscard slot*</span>

13. DTrinh09

DTrinh09 Notebook Guru

I don't know if anyone else has had this error, but I can't seem to play YouTube videos while using my DIY Vidock setup. I get a green screen and then my Shockwave Flash plugin crashes; sometimes I have to force close the browser. Any ideas?

EDIT: I turned off hardware acceleration under Flash settings.. that fixed the problem.

14. Fardavid

Fardavid Notebook Consultant

I have similar CPU and much slower eGPU (HD 4870) and my score is 7k, so I wouldn't say your score is due to the CPU...

15. Zeralith

Zeralith Newbie

I've been reading through this thread and am quite a bit lost with most of the technical aspects, so I think it's best I go ahead and ask some questions before I go through with purchasing the necessary equipment.

I'm running a Sony VPCF114FX with an Intel Core i7 Q720, 6GB ram and an nvidia 310m. I definitely have an expresscard slot, but is it certain that this will work with my computer? It doesn't seem like it's been tested on my Vaios.

I would like to run an Nvidia GTS 450 if possible. I also pulled a psu out of my old dell xps in hopes of saving a few dollars. It's a PS-6371-1DF-LF, 120V 9A. I know that this is way more power than is necessary... would it be complete overkill to run the eGPU off of this psu? Would there be any negative side effects?

Thanks!

16. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

If it's a free PSU, then it's not overkill.

The main problem you may have is resource issues. To see if you will have a problem, put Nando's setup program on a flash drive, boot to it, and see if you have 256MB free. If you don't, run compaction, then see if you have 256MB free. If compaction is unsuccessful is getting a 256MB window free, tell us what your TOLUD value is, which will be in the upper right of the main setup screen.

Also it seems that you do not have an intel IGP, which means that you cannot do Optimus, so your performance will be lower than what you've seen other people get. In your case though with having such a weak internal card I would get the 450 anyway if you can clear a window for it.

17. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Hi Zeralith,

Please see post #4494 & post here the screenshot. From the screenshot we'll know the TOLUD value & know whether you can use 6GB of RAM or not. Because your notebook don't have Intel HD Graphics, to get the best performance from eGPU is to setup x2 link at least. This required PE4H-PM3N + PM3N card package. If the ExpressCard slot is at PCIe port #4 & there is a mini-PCIe slot at PCIe port #3, you can use PE4H-EC2C + PM3N card package. Nvidia Fermi card (DX10/11) perform better than ATI on x1 link though. Please check using AIDA64 for port number assignment, for example like this:-
    [​IMG]
    However, this doesn't proved whether the empty PCIe port is available or not. So, you'll need to physically check it.

GTS450 max power is 106 W. So, you can use portable power brick to power GTS450. That PSU also can, whichever you want.

18. Zeralith

Zeralith Newbie

Hi Kizwan,

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. As requested, here are both screenshots (spoilered since they're large)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Based on the Device Manager, the first PCI bus entry (x0000000) indicates TOLUD on your notebook is set to D0000000 = 3.25GB. Which means you will have problem running eGPU with 4GB or more RAM (not enough PCI space to accommodate eGPU). As Khenglish mentioned earlier, you'll need 256MB PCI space to allow eGPU to work. Because of the high TOLUD, you'll need to reduced the RAM to 3GB only. Actually 3.25GB is too tight to use 4GB or more of RAM (might work or not).

Looks like x2 link is not possible. Only x1 link using the ExpressCard is possible. Avoid ATI graphic card. Your choice, GTS450 should be OK.

20. User Retired 2

Wait a sec. TOLUD=3.25GB means we need an expansion of the PCI BUS device @D0000000 to be 100% sure whether there will be 4GB+ RAM issues. There may still be room to accomodate a 256MB window, or might be able to create one using Setup 1.x's PCI compaction.