1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. radar816

radar816 Notebook Enthusiast

If I can get it working, I should see my 3DMark scores increase 1000-2000 points. I just can't get the video card to show up in port 1 when I have a second PM3N installed. It always shows up in port 2.

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Ensure you can get your video card working on port1 as x1 if have any whitelisting issues. Then boot, set link to x2 width, power on eGPU with *only* lane 2 attached, then physically hotplug in the port1's PM3N into the mPCIe slot. That's because that method will start the CLKRUN signal. I modded my PM3N so that setting the jumper started CLKRUN instead.

Only Series-4 or older Intel chipsets see the x1E tweak give a performance boost with ATiAMD cards or older, non-Ferm NVidia cards.

a HD5730 is a pretty decent dGPU. Only a x1.Opt or x2 link could see any performance improvements.

You could get a x1.Opt link if you replace your Clarksfield CPU with an Arrandale CPU so the Intel HD iGPU activates. The Y560 does have switchable graphics to can do that. Otherwise for x2, I can see that wifi is port2. Port3 and Port4 we don't know what they are. If port3+4 are expresscard+mPCIe then could do a x2 link. Though your wifi could not run concurrently as port1 runs in x1 mode as well (Intel's limitation).

3. GtsXracer

GtsXracer Notebook Consultant

4. nlooije

nlooije Notebook Guru

there are methods for getting it working on the internal lcd as discussed on the first post, but i have no experience with this.
    To make sure that your setup is working i would as a first step hook it up to an external display. Preferably by HDMI as this has the most chance of working without additional steps (unlike a VGA->DVI adapter). An additional benefit of using an external display is that you're are not as bandwith limited.

5. radar816

radar816 Notebook Enthusiast

I have a v1.1 and a v1.2 PM3N. If I connect the jumper on the 1.1, do I need to hotplug? What about the 1.2? There's no jumper and it says it does it automatically.

I can run at x1 fine with no whitelisting needed, so I have to have the eGPU powered off, set port 1 to x2, have a PM3N in port 2 and connect eGPU power. Then connect the PM3N to the 1st mPCIe port.

6. User Retired 2

PM3N 1.2 uses CLKRUN, but gives you a 7/15s delay time to set your link to x2. If you can get your link to x2 in 15s upon switching the power on your system, then it will work. Probably can't do that so I consider it a dud solution. So if lane1 is a mPCIe slot in a x2 setup then consider modding the PM3N v1.1 as follows:

modded PM3N 1.1 to start CLKRUN when setting the jumper

Here my modded PM3N 1.1 so that setting the jumper starts CLKRUN.

1. Open TP6 by desoldering the solder blob.

2. Run a patch wire connecting right TP6 pad (CLKRUN) to right jumper post.

3. Short C1 to give a direct connection to GND.

4. Remove U1 ic to not interfere with this arrangement.

Boot with jumper open, close the jumper after x2 link is setup. You may/may not need to unplug/replug the mini HDMI cable to get the video card to be registered. Use setup 1.x to do the x2 link and hit F5 to rescan it until you see the video card as a x2 link.

This was the least obtrusive way I got it to work on my DV4-2000 without needing to do scary hotplugging of the PM3N. I'm hoping hwtools' future PM3N will wire CLKRUN to the mini HDMI cable's ground so that plugging in lane1 mini HDMI cable will start CLKRUN.

7. beatTheRestrictions

beatTheRestrictions Notebook Enthusiast

After booting in with WIFI and saving the port (p2) I hard powered off, plugged in PE4L with delay set 7s (sw2 @ 2-3) and JP on PM3N closed. The eGPUHelper program detected the 5770 and showed it's info correctly such as device ID ect. Then I hit 'restore port' (p2) ok. After that I tried a 32-bit compaction then, to get into win7 I first ran startup.bat (applies the settings right?) then chainloaded into win7. In windows 7 the 5770 was in device manager with proper drivers but ERROR 43, yay.

In troubleshooting it say's this might be due to the hdmi cord. I've tried a USB stick in the PE4L which worked fine and also since the 5770 is identified leads me to believe my hdmi cable is OK. Looking at GPU-z the 5770 had nonsence information (DDR3, 0 mhz clock, 0 mhz mem, sensor information was maxed out (100% load, fan ect 32862C temperature)

Now I can't get eGPU DOS to detect at all again. Even with the anti-white list method you gave.

So basically I'm at: Boot into windows with wifi, sleep, switch eGPU, resume - ERROR 12.

Use the Helper program by Nando: antiwhite list port2 chain to windows - ERROR 43.

I saved some screen shots in eGPUDOS which it said are saved in A: can you tell me where I can find them?

Do you think it's worth trying to flash the earliest version of my bios - reverting back since I have the latest? Maybe it isn't white listed then.

I've probably switched the wifi card and eGPU 50+ times now, maybe it just wasn't meant to be!

8. mental2

mental2 Notebook Enthusiast

have you tried letting win 7 overcome your error 12? i'm not sure if it will also work for you since you are not using an express card, but it might be worth trying. nando has a link here. Prior to putting your computer to sleep, you need to disable the HDMI audio. i don't really know that much, but this method worked for me, as far as getting the eGPU to laod without errors.

9. User Retired 2

Confirmed. Individual port anti-whitelisting was broken in Setup 1.0f-pre16 or older. I've reverted back to the method used in 1.0e8 for individual port saves. Setup 1.0f-prex has a second method to save/restore "0:0.0 - root (1MB)" , which was required on both a M1530 and 2530P to anti-whitelist. Both those systems have the the bios *disable+anti-whitelist* the wifi port when no wifi card is detected on boot. More info in the help doco on both anti-whitelisting methods.

Setup 1.0f-pre17 also fixes a showstopper status window freezing bug introduced in Setup 1.0f-pre15/16.

Please update from Setup 1.0f-pre16 or older to Setup 1.0f-pre17

Setup 1.0f-pre17 is available here.

10. beatTheRestrictions

beatTheRestrictions Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for pointing me to that method mental2. I just tried it and still get error 12 on the 5770.

Picture below

Looks like the Restrictions are beating:D me can't believe this white listing nonsense, you pay money for a laptop which has a mpcie port you expect to be able to put what ever you feel like in it.. but sadly what ever may lower profit for these manufactures is blocked. Are there any laptop manufactures who never white list like this? If nothing works I guess I'll have to crack the bios to remove the white listing.

Is it worth it to try get an eGPU on a laptop at the risk of permanent system damage? - In my opinion - HELL YES!:D

Will try Nando's pre17 with the whitelist fix. Nice to have this much help without this dos program and forum eGPU would be an impossibility

Attached Files:

11. nlooije

nlooije Notebook Guru

on your pic it shows several HDMI audio drivers of which only one is disabled. try and disable all of them. Afterwards you may want to do PCI compaction to reallocated freed up resources.

12. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

17 actually caused a status window freezing bug for me, not fixed one. Whenever I disable a port the program will hang when trying to load the status window again.

13. User Retired 2

Should finally be fixed in pre19. Please PM a confirmation.

14. mental2

mental2 Notebook Enthusiast

ok. i saw a post the other day with the same problem i am having, but i can't find it anymore, so forgive me for re-asking. so, i finally got my eGPU to load without errors, but when i go to display settings to make it my main display, it won't let me. in fact, it doesn't even show my eGPU on the display pull down menu (even though it is on the device manager). how can i get the nvidia control panel and the display settings to detect the eGPU and make it my main display?

15. liamdye

liamdye Notebook Enthusiast

Looking to build a ViDock for my Lenovo X220T, could I go with the PE4H or do I have to stick to the PE4L. I would be using it with the E2C2 addition to have it working in the ExpressCard slot. I am looking at driving probably the Radeon 6850. I heard that someone had it configured on the X220 but still can't seem to find their results on it or indeed if the X220 was even ExpressCard 2.0 (because that would allow x2 2.0 or x4 1.0 right?).

16. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

The download doesn't work. Mediafile says they don't have the file anymore.

@liamdye:

If a PE4L works, there is no reason why a PE4H wouldn't work, you just might not be able to do x2 to take advantage of the pe4H.

17. User Retired 2

We've discovered the T420 has TOLUD=3.5GB, meaning there's no room to accomodate an eGPU when have 4GB or more installed. Would need to run 3GB or less for those to work.

Can you check the PCI BUS range in Device Manager on your X220T and check if you have a Large Memory entry. The latter would then allow 36-bit PCI compaction to be performed.

I'm hopeful Lenovo have been miserly with TOLUD only on systems with an NVidia option (T420/T520).

Fixed. Please try again.

18. sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya Notebook Deity

I had the same problem after going down to 2gb in my T420 and getting a successful compaction and chainload into Win7. It showed up as still being error 12 in Device Manager, nando and I are working through it right now.

Its crazy, I would think with the latest computers they would be able to accommodate something like an extra graphics card.

19. Xav

Xav Notebook Enthusiast

i have a x220 and i only managed to get my 560Ti working by using its stock bios 1.12 / (1.11 works as well) and boot up with the eGPU already plugged in and powered on.
    after i upgraded the bios firmware to 1.15...it stopped booting with the eGPU plugged in and i could not get setup 1.x to work either..

about the expresscard 2.0.. i suspect its available as there's an option for it in the bios. but i could only get my eGPU to work in windows IF i force it to "generation 1" which i think means 1.0? leaving the option on 'automatic', it crashes when i right click on the desktop.

20. sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya Notebook Deity

Hmm, the one time I was successful with booting with only 2gb of RAM and chainloading into Win7, was when I was forcing 'Generation 1' on the Power -> PCI Express options.
    I rebooted after I had switched it back to 'Automatic' setting under the Power -> PCI Express options.
    Looks like that plays a role in this...

I'm running the latest T420 BIOS, wished I wouldn't have upgraded the BIOS now.

Edit:
    Hey Xav, when you boot and get successful detection of your Geforce 560, how much RAM is in the system?
    Also, are you using PE4L or PE4H? And is the jumper switch set to X1 or 'X2/X4/X16' mode?