DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattlach

mattlach Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh, OK. That explains my really low benchmark numbers.

I chose the fixed benchmark as I thought it was more repeatable, and thus better for comparisons. Didn't realize you had gone with the variable.

Here are my new numbers with this setup, but with the variable benchmark instead:

[​IMG]
    RE5DX9_2010_10_28_12_46_58_744.jpg by mattlach, on Flickr

2. mattlach

Reputations:
    I should post DX10 benchmark results too.

It would also be nice to see some DX11 benchmarks.

Civ5 has a free demo/benchmark in steam I believe. I wonder if there is a Metro 2033 benchmark, as that would really show what these DIY Vidock setups are capable of...

Meanwhile I'm addicted to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. I'm still only on the first one as I rarely have time to play, but hopefully this DIY ViDock will help with that :p

3. mattlach

Reputations:
    Interesting. I'm looking into trading in my HD6850 for a 1GB GTX460.

I'll take a 15% restocking fee hit, but I feel its worth it seeing what Optimus can do...

This will all have to wait until next payday though. This was a Mortgage week.

I will miss the 6850 though. It is amazing how low power it is for its performance. Maybe this is just because I am used to the loud GTX470, but going through the RE5 benchmark it never went above 65C, and was never audible over the HVAC duct in my office.

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Comparative GTX470 versus HD6850 testing sans 15% restocking fee

An OCed GTX460 benchmarks at GTX470 levels so you could certainly use your GTX470 to do comparative benchmarking. The cheapest option to do that would be to remove the PSU and GTX470 from your desktop, connect them up, load the Optimus drivers and do back-to-back benchmarking of the HD6850 versus the GTX470 with your favorite games. If you didn't get a SWEX, use the paperclip trick to power the ATX PSU.

DX9 is slower on NVidia cards in the non-Optimus setup. 3dmark06 result inwould suggest that DX9 on an Optimus setup outperforms the HD5xxx/HD6xxx though your benchmark results would confirm that. Such comparative benchmarking would be appreciated by the community and show you firsthand if it's worth taking the 15% restocking hit. I expect it is.

Request: review/add FAQ items on first page

The first post has been re-designed in FAQ style format. There is certainly scope to polish/edit the existing responses and add any other items that may be missing. Your contributions most welcome either as a post OR as a PM.

5. mattlach

Reputations:
    Hmm.. For this comparison, I could underclock the GTX470 to get closer to GTX460 speeds, but is there a way I can tell it to use fewer shaders? If that is possible, I can make it identical to a GTX460 (except for the larger VRAM size...)

6. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I wouldn't bother trying to get the GTX470 to be a GTX460. They are after all different GF100/GF104 cores. Just know that the GTX460 has lots of overclocking potential so can run at close-to-GTX470 stock speed. If you really wanted, could flash a GTX465 bios on your GTX470 which would give only 1GB VRAM and lock down shaders, giving you a GTX465. A GTX465 is slower than a GTX460. I did the opposite. I had an unlockable PNY GTX465 which I flashed the GTX470 bios to get the extra VRAM, faster clocks and more shaders.

I've added a section ATI versus NVidia back-to-back benchmarking on the first post giving you an idea of some volunteered benchmark comparisons. So you could consider providing a HD6850 versus GTX470 on x1/x1.Opt links (i5-520M 2.4, mattlach) article to link from there. Based on existing posted results I'd expect:

DX9: GTX470 x1.Opt > HD6850 > GTX470 x1
    DX10: GTX470 x1.Opt > GTX470 x1 > HD6850
    DX11: GTX470 x1.Opt > GTX470 x1 > HD6850

7. johnDunkins

johnDunkins Newbie

Reputations:
    Im having a problem getting my system to work i have a radeon r4850 with a 300w power supply and a toshiba satellite lap top. and im using a pm3n plug to the laptop mother board and when i turn it all on its giving me a black screen, do i have to use a monitor or can i use my laptop screen?

8. Inconnu_nom

Inconnu_nom Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow, so much has happened since last I looked for external video card solutions. (ViDock 2 hadn't come out yet). I'm not going to lie, 200 pages of replies is overwhelming.

I've been reading but there is so much information that I can't find the info I wanted again.

My question is going to be a very noobish question which is:
    Given that I have a HP HDX16t laptop with windows 7, what is the best options for me to get. I've been reading that maybe the GTX 460 or 470 might be ideal with the optimus setup. Although it would be fine if I haev to get a powersupply, I would prefer just the regular adapter plug if possible. I'm at work right now so I'm not sure if I have the mPCIe slot. I would LIKE to run mPCIe and expresscard to maximize bandwidth if that is possible.

I would like to use the internal LCD but I may switch to external since I saw that it had noticably better results.

I appologize for my ineptness. I am on my lunch break at work and have been very busy with moving and settling down.

9. mattlach

Reputations:
    Interesting. What makes you think the 6850 will beat the GTX470 in DX9 applications? I fully expect the GTX470 to trounce the 6850 accross the board even without optimus, as this is what we've seen in 16x desktop applications. Remember the 6850 is the spiritual successor to the 5750, not the 5850. AMD/ATI upped all the numbers by 100 for this release to make more room in the low end for more mid range products.

I will run some DX10 benchmarks on the 6850 today during lunch, and try to get the GTX470 tests done after work today. It's going to be a little tricky, as my Shuttle SFF case uses non-standard motherboard and power solutions, so I am not sure how to do the paper-clip trick on it. I may just leave the desktop running sans video card, with the power hooked up to it for the test.

10. mattlach

Reputations:
    You are correct. You need either an external monitor or a special hack to allow you to use your internal monitor.

The only exception to this is to use a Nvidia 4xx board coupled with Nvidias Optimus drivers IF you have Intel HD based internal graphics. If you do this, the Nvidia graphics can write directly to the Intel HD frame buffer over the PCIe bus and allow for internal graphics, but there will be a performance hit compared to usig an external monitor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.