DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faruk

Faruk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey nando thanks for the reply :)

Any tips on how to find a 12V 150W DC adapter? I don't see any on ebay that have a 2.5mm tip... There is a Dell adapter that keeps coming up, but apparently that has a "4-pin" connector (not sure what that is).

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    US$37.50 AC-DC Adapter fit picoPSU-150-XT DC-DC 150W 12V 12.5A has a 2.5mm/5.5mm end so can be used with a PE4L. A factory-OCed GTX460 has 153W peak in case you were thinking of going higher performance...

3. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    I've read most of this thread and it looks like vidock is finally viable for me, thrilled even that i've got a studio 1555 which is capable of pci-e x2.

Just have one question, is this via 2x mini-pcie or 1x expresscard and 1xmini-pcie? Don't want to waste money ordering, and i didn't see it mentioned in the thread.

Also thinking of picking up one of the wifi adapters so i can plug in to my workstation at home when i'm not moving, and have proper gaming capability, but only need to worry about this if the wifi card needs to be removed...

Thanks!

4. Faruk

Faruk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With the recent price drop on the GTX460, this is really tempting... There's only about $10-15 price difference between the GTS450 and the GTX460.

Also, the review you linked to is for the 1GB version. According to nvidia's specs, the 1GB version is rated at 160W and the 768MB version is rated for 150W:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 768MB and 1GB Video Card Reviews - GeForce GTX 460 Brings NVIDIA DX11 to $199 - Legit Reviews

So if the MSI 1GB card does 153W max, then it seems likely to me that the 768MB version would be around 143W...

I think I'll wait a little longer to see if the GTS450 gets a price cut as well. Otherwise, the GTX460 really seems like the way to go... (But I would probably prefer the 768MB version over the 1GB, just to be safe that the 150W power supply can handle it)

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    pyro515's Studio 1555 had:

port2=wifi
    port3=unused mPCie slot
    port4=expresscard slot

Meaning you could do a port3+4 x2 setup using a PE4H-EC2C + extra PM3N, but Intel's limitation means that port1+2 is x2 as a sideeffect, so your wifi could not be concurrently used.

You have a HD4570 Studio 1555 systemboard. Maybe you can find someone on here who would be glad to swap it for a 4500MHD systemboard so could do a Optimus x1 1.0 setup via the expresscard slot instead or x2 1.0 using a combo of ports? The first has been benchmarked giving impressive results.

Note too: your x2 setup would also be running what appears to be half-duplex speed if using an ATI solution. Ie: not x2E. You'd need a x2 port1+port2 setup to do x2E-ATI which is not possible.

6. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, so it's express plus mini pcie, and i'll grab the wifi adapter as well. No worries there.
    I'm not keen on a system board swap - i want to keep the 4570 in there as it's a fairly decent performer... The vidock is for a combination of nvidia 3d and 120hz gaming, so plans are to have a gtx4x0 card running dual link to my alienware 23" monitor. Given this, I should be all sweet with an nvidia solution?

oh - you're saying i can't use an nvidia card?

7. mattlach

mattlach Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got the card today, going to post the benchmarks as soon as I get home after work.

Quick question though...

Does having 4GB of ram on a machine with a 32bit OS automatically mean a DIY Vidock will not work due to address space limitations?

The reason I ask is that my laptop uses 64bit Win 7, but my work laptop is locked down with XP. It would be nice if I could use mysetup as a dock for when I work from home, so I don't ahve to go reconnecting everything ever time...

8. mattlach

Reputations:
    Hey,

I read the issues at the top of this thread regarding the >2.5GB problem.

I have 4GB and Windows 7 64bit installed on my laptop with the following specs:

Dell e4310
    Intel Core i5-520M
    4GB Ram

I am getting the "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)" even though I am using the latest catalyst 10.10 drivers. According to the thread Catalyst 10.6 drivers enable 36/64bit addressing.

Do I have to do anything special in order to enable 36/64bit addressing in Catalyst drivers?

I would roll back to older drivers just to make sure they haven't removed this in the latest drivers, but I am using a HD6850, which I understand is first supported in 10.10 drivers.

Any suggestions which step to take next?

I assume it will be one of the reallocation steps at the top of this thread, but which would be the best to choose given that the newest Catalyst drivers have failed me?

Any help appreciated,
    Matt

9. mattlach

Reputations:
    Interesting development.

I removed one of my two sticks of ram to test at 2GB, and - as expected - it worked.

The funny part is, once I put the second stick back in and rebooted, it continued to work without me changing anything else.

I am wondering if once the system successfully booted with the desktop card installed, this triggered a address space remap, which held after booting back up with 4gb ram.

It will be interesting to see if it still works after a few reboots without the desktop video card plugged in, or if it will revert to its old address space configuration.

10. mattlach

Reputations:
    Alright, here are my results.

Laptop:
    Dell Latitude E4310
    Core i5-520M
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Video Card:
    Radeon HD6850

Connected via expresscard only. (I don't feel like having my covers hanging open...)

3DMark 2006 at default settings:
    [​IMG]
    3Dmark2006-vidock by mattlach, on Flickr

Resident evil DX9 fixed benchmark at 1280x800:
    [​IMG]
    RE5DX9_2010_10_27_18_16_01_665 by ]mattlach, on Flickr

So what do you guys think, am I suffering from the AMD 1x problem?

It's lower than my Core i7-920 Desktop with a GTX470 which gets 17623, but really not bad considering the laptop only gets 2082 with internal graphics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.