1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yay it works finally. I'm surprised you got 2 driver installs. Whenever I update my driver only 1 installs, and only the 460 is listed in the INF, but whenever I am using the mobile card only, everything says I'm using the updated driver. I think I'll do some testing to see if it really is running the updated driver. I hope I don't break my driver and get the mess you had in the process. I think I'll try out one of the 260 drivers that had the bugged dx7. Should be easy to see the poor fps.

2. exe

exe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Khenglish, we had a discussion as to why Nando had got me to add my desktop GPU to the mobile inf... well, so that I can have 1 driver that has both my 9600Mobile and 9600Desktop info in them. Hence running the Nvidia mobile inf modded setup.exe installed to both cards.

To avoid my mess, make sure that your driver version is the same under device manager after you update your driver(s). Otherwise, on a reboot, you're going to pee in your pants lol.

3. exe

exe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    nlooije asked me what exact steps I took, so I'm putting it here in hopes it will help others:

This is what I did, may or may not work for you. I know you will try because that's all you can do right. I did the same thing, try and try till I almost cry!

1) Uninstall all Nvidia drivers from control panel.
    2)Safe boot and run Driver Cleaner and delete all things Nvidia. Also run CCleaner registry clean and delete all things Nvidia related.
    3) Reboot laptop.
    4) When you get to Windows 7 64bit (I am using this) desktop, Windows will install standard VGA driver automatically.
    5) Turn on DIY Dock and plug it in and pray. (Hotplug while at windows desktop)
    6) Windows will flash and come back on with my desktop GPU listed (as well as the laptop GPU which is always there). Windows may install automatically a Nvidia driver for the desktop GPU. It will keep the laptop GPU at the standard vga driver. If Windows ask you to reboot, do not reboot.
    7)*Go to your setup.exe file in your Nvidia mobile driver folder and double click to run it.
    8) It will install the driver for both cards, you will get 2 warnings (one for each card) that you are not installing a verified driver, click continue, and hope you go to DIYDock heaven.

* I am using my modded inf which has to contain my laptop and desktop GPU info. I modded it from nando's modded inf for 270.51 mobile nvidia driver.

4. fighter1

fighter1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can't renumber the ports. They are hardwired into the southbridge. If port 3 is a wireless card or something that you can move, you can move that to port 2 and do x2 on ports 3 and 4.

6. gluhov

gluhov Newbie

Reputations:
    nando,

I am planning to buy macbook with thunderbolt for future release of p4l or whatever it will be named for thunderbolt. What do you think - is it a good idea, or should I better stick to normal PC way? I could buy for the same money (1300$) Dell XPS 15 with good full hd screen and 540m 2gb, and then i need to upgade it with mPCI extention card wich is proved as working solution.

What do you think? Is risk big enough?

7. exe

exe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A day of playing with my DIYDock, I've noticed a strange phenomenon. By default, my laptop monitor is my main monitor, and I extended the image to my external monitor. If I play a video (avi movie) on the external, it plays badly at full screen, frames skip, voice and picture are out of sync. It's better if I make the video image size smaller. In either case, it seems to be using my laptop GPU, since I can see that my laptop GPU heating up while the desktop GPU stays at the same temp while playing video. Laptop GPU temp will immediately drop when I stop playing the video on the external screen.

So today I experimented by making my external monitor my main monitor, and what I get is the reverse. The same video plays fine on my external screen at full screen. But now the same video plays badly on the laptop screen. The difference is, my laptop GPU isn't heating up like before, and the desktop GPU temp stays the same.

I've also noticed that in either scenarios, playing video seems to use quite a bit (around 10%-20%)of processing power were as before the DIYDock, it hardly used any CPU processing power.

So what could this be? I do know that when I installed the modded 270.51 driver, I only selected to install the driver and non of the extra stuff like physics, audio etc.. It did also install 3D Vision (although I didn't remember clicking on it during install). I have already turned off HD Audio under Device Manager and set Physics to use CPU (I've toggled this to no avail).

Any ideas?

Edit update: Well, I figured it out myself. The video playback frame skip is dependent on the media player I am using. I usually use VLC, it didn't do well. Maybe it requires a reinstall, I don't know. Quicktime player was slightly better. The best was.... Microsoft Media Player, also had the lowest CPU utilization rate, very low at that.

8. pirkko

pirkko Newbie

Reputations:
    Getting frustrated here after three days of trial and error. No success whatsoever.

Dell M1530, windows 7:
    8600M GT + HD4870 - 400w psu and PE4H + EC2C.

port 1: Lan
    port 2: wifi (disabled)
    port 3: -
    port 4: -
    port 5: expresscard (x1E possible?)

I have tried installing and uninstalling drivers (+driversweeping after each uninstall), disabling and enabling display adapters, wifi, ram... Running out of options here :(

After driver uninstallation my laptop detects my internal gfx as standard vga adapter and vidock gfx as ati radeon 4000 series. No signs of errors there.

When I install catalyst drivers it gets detected as radeon HD4870, but after reboot ccc tells me driver isn't compatible or card isn't installed. Probably because of internal gfx? Disabling internal gfx doesn't help.

If I install nvidia drivers for 8600M GT and try turning vidock on when resuming from sleep - 4870 fan starts spinning slower (as a sign of detection), but just stops after few secons. Windows makes that "new device connected" sound and then disconnection sound.

If I ignore sleep and plug vidock in while in windows -> bsod. Usually caused by atikmdag.sys.

Running setup 1.x with 36-bit compaction on vid-2 (detected as ATI, 1002:9440) and forcing vid-1 to 32-bit (10de:0407) doesn't make any difference. I've tried anti-whitelisting but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

And still no signal on external display from vidock. Disabling internal gfx hides any desktop expanding options. And aero. And sleep.

Any advice?

9. katamari

katamari Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just got PE4L + EC2C but haven't been able to make the setup run. I'm using a GTS450, the laptop is a ThinkPad T510, Windows 7 x64.

I'm trying different plug / switch-on orders, deinstalling and reinstalling drivers etc. But regardless of all that, I'm not getting ANY reaction when plugging in. I'm really wondering if either the ExpressCard adapter or my slot is maybe non-functional on a hardware / connection level.

Does anyone else have the problem of zero reaction from Windows? I can boot with the thing plugged in, sleep and wake, Windows does not seem to notice any hardware at all.

My other general wondering is that, since the video card says x16, maybe it wouldn't work with the x1 setup? Although this was sort of mentioned in this thread (the post regarding suggested nvidia setup), I just start to look for any possible reason when things don't work out.

So can you guys all confirm that using PE4L (the short one) through a single ExpressCard / PCIe port is OK for a x16 GPU?

Any other hint for testing the overall setup would be very much appreciated... (I'm not even at the installation nightmare stage). Thanks in advance.

10. fighter1

fighter1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hey guys. if you have a monitor with audio out would that work with hdmi from diy vidock

11. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you need both drivers for 8600 & 4870 to be wddm 1.1 in win7 or the same wddm version. you could try installing a microsoft driver for 8600 and catalyst for 4870.
    if win7 doesn't 'like' something you won't be able to make 4870 your primary video.
    if you disable the internal gfx and uninstall its driver then you need a win xp driver for 4870 in win7

12. exe

exe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    x16 card will work fine at x1. Do you get 2 green lights on the PE4L when it is connected and running on your laptop?

13. variance84

variance84 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all. Can someone look at my memory map to see if a x2 link is feasible?
    memorymap.png

My setup is a Dell Latitude e6410 (Core i7 720QM, 8gb memory, nvidia discrete graphics)
    Have the PE4H connected to a EC2C and it's working with a PCIe 2.0 x1 Connection. no issue on Windows 7 x64 and normal ATI drivers.

I'm curious about:

1. Difference between PCIe 1.0 and 2.0 x1 connections
    2. If anyone has using this model or a similar model/chipset gotten the x2 link working using the EC2C and the PM3N
    simultaneously without using the Vidock USB boot disk

Here's the info I've been able to gather along with screenshots of System Info, AIDA/Everest, and GPU-Z and the only motherboard drawing of the computer I could locate from the service manual.
    externalgraphics.jpg
    e6410.jpg

There are 3 Empty internal pcie slots.

Yet in Everest/AIDA64 it says there are only 4 ports it can see.

Port 1 empty (I understand this is the root one?)
    Port 2 (WLAN)
    Port 3 (Firewire / SD card Controller Ricoh)
    Port 4 (Expresscard Radeon)

Update: ok. so the WWAN is most likely a USB wired Pci-e slot.
    So my only hope is that the half length "ON Technology/CMG slot" is a pcie slot.

Here's a pic of my setup.
    vidock.png

14. drew_heard

drew_heard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone any more information on PM3N v1.2? I was told it was April 18th, but not there yet!

Almost can't wait any longer and thinking about just going x1 (guess I can upgrade later!)

15. variance84

variance84 Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you tried reseating your graphics card? and/or verifying that it's getting enough power. I had odd detection issues until I noticed that the card was seated oddly.

16. skylineboi

skylineboi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I just found out today that it would work with hdmi. The reason why it was not working for me, was that I had to disable my laptops hd audio and test if my T.V/ external monitor would work with the sound and of course it worked.

17. variance84

variance84 Newbie

Reputations:
  18. katamari

katamari Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, but not by default. One of the LEDs only lights up when SW1 is set to state 2.

19. pirkko

pirkko Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for advices, key001 and variance84! But still no success.

I googled for wddm 1.1 drivers for my gfx cards with no success. Aren't those new nvidia/radeon drivers wddm 1.1-compatible? I've tried drivers with and without whql. Also installed readyDriver+ allowing 4870 DNA drivers in 64-bit os.

Windows 7 detects 4870 and installs wddm 1.1 driver as default, but I couldn't find any catalyst wddm drivers for 4870. Am I doing something wrong here?

Same with 8600M. I found older (179.23) wddm drivers from latopvideo2go, but inf is missing. Can't install. Windows7 detects 8600M GT as standard vga adapter. Windows update installed new nvidia drivers, but there isn't any sign of them being wddm 1.1.

Also tried xp drivers on 4870 and disabling & uninstalling drivers 8600M from device manager (is there any other way to disable it?). Win7 still doesn't allow 4870 as primary gfx. I got some IRQL bsods also.

And I can't find microsoft drivers for 8600M. Should I try this instead?

I've tried this, reseated it couple of times and reconnected power pins. 4870 is detected, fan spins at normal speed and lights are on. I think this is driver issue. 400W psu should be enough for 4870 which is peaking at about 230W?

20. SyafiqKidz

SyafiqKidz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there....do somebody try to connect pe4h using EC03 (usb3.0) because my laptop is acer aspire 5750g. I think that port also support 5gb/s since my laptop is sandy bridge. As i heard pe4h now cannot support 5gb/s is that true...